Profile for Chapman > Reviews

Content by Chapman

Chapman

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
A Dance With Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5)
by George R. R. Martin

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing... on an epic scale, 9 Nov 2011
I started reading this series in the late 1690's and found the first 3 books to be excellent, probably the greatest fantasy series I had read! By the end of A Storm of Swords I thought all the various character strands had just got to the point of fruition (SPOILERS AHEAD, ONLY READ IF YOU'VE FINISHED THE OTHER BOOKS)John being named Commander of the Nights Watch, Bran off beyond the wall to find the 3 eyed crow, Arya crossing the narrow sea with whatshisname's coin, Tyrion on his way to join Dany who now has her army and dragons and is surely ready to think about returning to Westeros. Book 4 was going to be AWESOME!

For me, I was happy that George RR Martin took his time to get A Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons just right, I'll happily wait the (what seemed like) 300 years between books as long as he gets it spot on.

The problem is the waiting was in vain. I think that the next 2 books destroyed all the good work that had gone before. None of the plots have developed how I'd hoped, I can't see where they are going any more and I'm finding it harder to care. Martin has had a penchant for shock tactics all the way through the books with unpleasant things happening to a variety of characters but he just keeps on and on and on to the point where he appears to do it just to piss the reader off: you wanting something to happen is pretty much a guarantee that it won't!

Despite the rant, I won't give up on the series just yet; I'm still going to buy the next book and I really hope things improve. Who knows, maybe now my expectations have been suitably lowered I'll enjoy the next one more anyway; fingers crossed!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 13, 2011 10:15 PM GMT

Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Game of Thrones - Season 1 [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Sean Bean
Price: 16.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent faithful adaptation, 30 Aug 2011
I was a little dubious when I heard they were going to make this into a TV show as I love the books and thought it would be really tough to try and film them, especially with some of the subject matter. My fears were allayed slightly when I saw it was HBO as I'm a big fan of Deadwood, The Wire etc... and knew they wouldn't shy away from any of the sometimes horrific scenes.

Anyway, from the very first moment I loved it, they have really captured the feeling of the books, I noticed they'd changed one or 2 things but nothing to the detriment of the story. The casting is fantastic, Danaerys, Tywin, Ned, Arya all pretty much as I imagined them; the only exceptions being the King and Tyrion (although the latter is excellent and I soon forgot my misgivings).

A couple reviews mention it misses large parts of the story out but I disagree, it covers all the plots set out in the book, even with 10 hour long episodes it's impossible to cover every little thing and I think they've done an excellent job decided what to keep/lose (fingers crossed for deleted scenes on the DVD).

As hinted at earlier, there is a lot of sex and bloody violence right from the start which won't be to everyone's taste but if you can stomach that then this is a near perfect adaptation of one of the finest series of fantasy novels ever written! Let's hope it does well and doesn't get cancelled before the end!!

Stainless Steel Freeflow Pourer (Pack of 5)
Stainless Steel Freeflow Pourer (Pack of 5)
Offered by FT-Deal.
Price: 1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy pourers, 17 Aug 2011
Nice items, exactly as described. Have already used a couple on a bottle of oil and some bourbon. Both work fine, no leaks, fit the bottles and pour easily
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2011 3:42 AM GMT

Stainless Steel Thimble Bar Measures 3 Piece Bundle Set | 25ml, 35ml & 50ml | Thimble Measures, Shot Measures, Spirit Measures
Offered by CHABRIAS LTD
Price: 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Good measure, 17 Aug 2011
Not much to say about these, they are nice and solid, look exactly as shown on here and arrived quickly

Sony DVD Plus (16X Speed) 25 spindle
Sony DVD Plus (16X Speed) 25 spindle
Offered by RC Electronics
Price: 7.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Qood quality DVD's, 17 Aug 2011
Good quality DVD's, so far have used them to back up various programmes and films and haven't had any problems. As always, quick delivery and well packaged, unbelievable price - 25 DVD's for under a fiver

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality rug, 17 Aug 2011
I'm very happy with my purchase, after 8 months the rug still looks as new (and looks just as it does in the picture). Good quality, simple design

VERSACE DREAMER eau de toilette spray 100ml
VERSACE DREAMER eau de toilette spray 100ml
Offered by Fragrance Specialist
Price: 29.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 17 Aug 2011
I foolishly purchased this without trying it first after reading a couple of good reviews on other sites. I don't really like it as it smells a bit too sweet for my taste.
However I've given it 5 stars as it's my fault for not trying it first and it was delivered quickly, well packaged and Amazon was the cheapest price around

Corona Wine Rack
Corona Wine Rack
Offered by Home Essentials Inc (Delivery only to Mainland UK)
Price: 91.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice rustic winerack, 17 Aug 2011
This review is from: Corona Wine Rack
When I first opened the package I was going to send it straight back as it didn't look good quality. However... I persevered and put it together (took about an hour on my own) and when completed it actually looks really good! The only reason it gets 4 stars not 5 is that some of the guide holes for the screws where in the wrong place so the top bit where you hang your wine glasses is a bit crooked.

Bar Craft Wine Pourer and Stopper in Stainless Steel
Bar Craft Wine Pourer and Stopper in Stainless Steel
Offered by Hamdis
Price: 6.49

4.0 out of 5 stars 2 in 1, 17 Aug 2011
Nice, solid item. Works well as a pourer and can just put the rubber stopper in if you don't make it through the entire bottle!

Bosch 19 Piece Drill Bit Wrap
Bosch 19 Piece Drill Bit Wrap
Price: 7.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality drill bits, 4 July 2011
Am very happy with this set. The bits are of good quality and the case can be folded up so doesn't take much space. There's a note on the back showing which drill bits should be used on which surface (wood, metal, masonry)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4