Profile for Infosec Bookworm > Reviews

Content by Infosec Bookworm

Infosec Bookworm "Infosec Bookworm" (Ireland)

Hackers' Tales: Stories from the Electronic Front Line
Hackers' Tales: Stories from the Electronic Front Line
by Dr K

1.0 out of 5 stars Did I miss something?, 18 Jun. 2009
I have to be honest about this book, I read it from start to finish and had to ask myself, had I spent my time productively?

I did not find the content of any interest, whether it be technical, legal etc.

Not sure who exactly, who would benefit from reading this book.

Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly About Security in an Uncertain World
Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly About Security in an Uncertain World
by Bruce Schneier

5.0 out of 5 stars More Excellence from Bruce Schneier, 18 Jun. 2009
Once again Bruce Schneier takes a rather complex challenging subject and dissects it in his usual approach with a constructively critical review of security in our globalised society.

You can read what fear is, defined in an honest and sometimes disarming manner, also our approach to risk management and terorism mitigation.

Schneier has an interesting approach to threat modelling.

I have to admit I have been a fan of Schneier since reading "Secrets and Lies".

You dont have to be an infosec enthusiast to read this book.

Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP Exam
Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP Exam
by Susan Hansche CISSP

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for CISSP exam candidates, 18 Jun. 2009
I used this book for my exam prep for the CISSP and found it invaluable.

The CBK of ten infosec domains are presented in an easy to read and inforative manner, even the cryptography section, which has always challenged me, facilitated my reading.

This book is about knowing the content as opposed to answering predeterminded questions.

I still use this book for research or lookup at least once every 8 weeks!

The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
by Steve Wozniak

1.0 out of 5 stars Expected More Than a Social Engineering Attempt on the Reader, 18 Jun. 2009
I read avidly about Kevin Mitnick back in the 1990's. I was enthused to see him release a book, however when I read it cover to cover, I was deeply dissapointed.

In summary, I felt as if a Social Engineering Hack had been attempted against me for reading the book. This is just my opinion but I was asking myself why did I spend the money on the book.

This book may be useful for journalists of a tabloid research or news paper wishing to instill hyperbole in Joe Public. Its a given that social engineering is a serious risk, but I found the approach a little patronising.

One other thing that comes to mind is the ethical question of employing a convicted felon as an information security consultant, sorry Kevin!