Profile for Andy > Reviews

Content by Andy

Andy "(Noise obsesive)" (Manchester, UK)

Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air B&W Wireless Speaker with Airplay
Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Air B&W Wireless Speaker with Airplay

3.0 out of 5 stars It's NOT Hifi, 4 April 2014
Dont be fooled by the hype. This does not even come close to a hifi system.

A cheap cambridge audio amp and eltax monitor iii speakers completely blow this thing out of the water.

Its a great and expensive ipod dock but that is were it ends. I had one for a few days and had to send it back - it was just bass. It clouds everything. It was just as a second system and I wasn't even happy with it for that.

I purchased a Marantz Melody Streamer and Dali Zensor 1s instead and you cannot compare the Zeppelin to these. They have excellent sound quality

If you want a lifestyle speaker go for it. If you want something to sound really good, then consider getting a micro streamer such as the Marantz melody or Denon piccolo with the Zensor 1s or even Q acoustics 2020i.

Marantz M-CR510 Melody Stream Network Receiver - Black
Marantz M-CR510 Melody Stream Network Receiver - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Second system brilliance, 4 April 2014
I am using this as a second system with Dali Zensor 1's

I paid 335 for the two and I am very very impressed with the combination of the two. Considering the price difference between this and my main system I just can't believe how good this is.

Its really easy to use and with the latest firmware all seems pretty quick to me.

I originally purchased a Zeppelin Air but it sounded awful so I returned it. This little beauty with the Zensors is a superb combination.

Dali Zensor 1 Light Walnut
Dali Zensor 1 Light Walnut
Offered by Nintronics

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!, 3 April 2014
I have Ikon 6 speakers connected to a Naim amp and cd player as my main system.

I have just purchased these beauties to use with a Matrantz Melody stream in my kitchen and I am blown away. Okay, it's not the Naim but considering the price difference in the two set ups I am completely over the moon.

These are great speakers and full credit to Dali for managing to get speakers sounding like this for the price. I am going to test them on the Naim system and will comment further.

There is plenty of bass but these are not for bass heads in my mind. You need a bigger cabinet really. However the mids and treble are just wonderful.

You will not want to stop listening to these - trust me.

Strange Folk
Strange Folk
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Compilation, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Strange Folk (Audio CD)
This is a really nice compilation of old and new 'folk' music.

It's really worth a punt if you were into the the 'Gather in the Mushrooms' comps and the 'Folk is not a Four Letter Word' comps.

Duronic TVB103M Black Universal 33"-65" LCD/Plasma/LED/3D/4K TV Wall Mount Bracket Tilt with [Security Locking Bar] - Max VESA 600 x 400

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 24 April 2012
Well, based on the amount of reviews it's obvious that the product was not going to be bad but I really was impressed with the quality based on the price.

I used it to fix my Panasonic TXP42GT30B to the wall and it was an easy install. I would be more than happy using it on a much larger TV. However, for a smaller TV, be aware that you may see the bracket.

The TV is some 10cm from the wall and it is easy to get your hand behind to fit cables. There are two knobs that tighten the angle adjustment system and there is enough space to get your hand between the TV and the wall to adjust these. However, I have left them slightly loose as it allows me to adjust the angle of the TV at will (without having to constantly loosen then tighten the knobs).

In reality, I could have got away with a slimmer bracket but I am really happy with it.

Memory Foam Pillows Pair - Contoured Design + FREE DELIVERY!
Memory Foam Pillows Pair - Contoured Design + FREE DELIVERY!

5.0 out of 5 stars Same Product - Different Manufacturer, 18 July 2008
I have the same pillow from a different manufacturer. I can't comment on the smell, although my pillow did have a smell like a lot of new foam does.

I suffer from neck and shoulder problems and the pillow has been a real help for me. I am not saying it has cured anything although I do beleive it has helped ease the symptons.

It took a few weeks to get used to but now I have, I would never go back to an ordinary pillow.

Sony RDR-HX510†DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive
Sony RDR-HX510†DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive

1.0 out of 5 stars A little harsh but please read on, 1 Aug 2006
Ok, after reading the other reviews you will probably be thinking I must just be overly critical for giving this recorder a 1 star, however, there is a justifiable (in my mind)reason.

Firstly let me just say that I have owned this unit for about 1 month now and there are many aspects that I am very pleased with, namely:

It's easy to use.

The HDD recorder is very handy.

Time slip is very easy to use but I must admit - do you really need it? The simple answer is NO. Handy yes but if you are watching something you are really enjoying dont answer the door, ignore the phone.

It looks great. Yes, it does.

It's a Sony - Go on, you know you're a sucker for them too.

Things I dont like.

The sound is not that good. No matter what anybody else says, don't listen to them. It's good enough but the output signal is low and the dynamics are not that brill. Before you ask, I have a good (over £1300.00 at time) CRT tv and the dynamics through the general TV signal are much better. It might be good in DOLBY 5.1 but I haven't bothered with surround sound.

The remote is nice but a bit fiddly.

The DVD icon will apear in the middle of playing an original DVD (not a copy but orginal). It usualy happens at least once per DVD. Whilst a minor thing that I can live with, It is still distracting.

It's NOT multi region. Why oh why do manufacturers have to stick to this? I know, copyrigt, release dates etc. but who are they trying to kid? It's a real irk with me.

Last but certainly not least. THIS IS A VERY NOISY UNIT IN OPERATION. The fan starts and the HDD spins up after about 5 mins of on time and they then stay on constantly. Granted, this is a temperature controlled fan so the speed does change as the unit cools down or heats up. However, the slow speed setting is still far too noisy. Think PC Fan. Whilst this is OK in the office or a study, would it be acceptable whilst watching your favourite kurosowa movie? The noise you are likely listening to at this very moment(if you have a standard desktop PC that is) is probably only marginally noisier than this Sony. If all you watch is hollywood blockbusters then this will not bother you at all. The constant music and background noise will screen the noise from the DVD player. Hence, you will only notice it when the film ends. If, however, like me, you watch poncey european / arthouse films with lots of quiet scenes, be warned, this little baby will annoy.

To be fair, My fiance does not have a problem with it and I am aware that peoples perception of what is termed 'noise' is subjective. However, it is noticable, especially when you turn the unit off after watching a film and then watch a bit of TV, its like blessed releif.

So if the noise will not bother you go ahead, you will not be upset, however, if this review has got you thinking, maybe you shoud check out the unit first. Remember though that your lounge will be a lot quieter than the shop in which you you view the unit.

Andy of Manchester