Profile for Died and gone to Devon > Reviews

Content by Died and gone ...

Died and gone to Devon (UK)

Riverford Farm Cook Book: Tales from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen
Riverford Farm Cook Book: Tales from the Fields, Recipes from the Kitchen
by Guy Watson
Price: 12.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful for allotment enthusiasts, smallholders, vegbox subscribers and those wishing to eat a more local veg based diet, 6 Aug 2012
This is a really useful cookbook for anyone, but especially if you subscribe to a vegbox scheme, or you grow your own, or if you have just bought an unusual vegetable and have no idea what to make with it, or if you want to eat more seasonally / healthily, want to cut down on food waste..... It is not a vegetarian cookbook but the veg take centre stage so a majority of recipes are suitable for vegetarians, or can be adapted reasonably easily.

I bought it because I have an allotment and it is easy to run out of inspiration when faced with a glut of something. I also wanted a cookbook where the recipes were reasonably healthy and quick every day ideas. This one delivers where others failed I have to say. Chapters are arranged by vegetable (or fruit) and there are chapters on mixed veg and using up odds and ends. There is a section on storage and preparation within the section devoted to each vegetable too, and there is also a list of 'easy ideas' for each vegetable which are in a similar vein to the ideas in Nigel Slater's 'Real fast food' book. The recipes and ideas I have tried have all been reasonably easy to make and got the thumbs up from my family, including my carnivorous chef partner. The selection of recipies not exclusively British themed even though based upon produce that grows here - there are influences from across the world. Be aware that imperial measurements are not provided - not a problem for me but might be for you?

For those that are interested there is also information about the history of Riverford, then every so often there is a commentary page providing opinions about various topics related to food and farming. Some of them are verge on rants but they are entertaining, well written and usually informative. There are some interesting points made about supermarkets and food miles.

It is a good looking cookbook - all the veg and some of the dishes are beautifully photographed and printed onto thick matt paper, and the typeface is nice and clear to read. The index is easy to use - finding favorites is straightforward. The only thing about this book that annoys me when I am using it is that it is difficult to prop it open at the page you are using when in the kitchen due to its small size relative to its thickness. Perhaps that will get better with use!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2013 10:29 PM BST

Kehinde (African Writers Series)
Kehinde (African Writers Series)
by Buchi Emecheta

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, why is this out of print?, 5 Mar 2010
This book is concisely and well written. It really opens a window into the life, emotions and motivations of Kehinde, a likeable and warm character. This book deserves as much attention as Half a Yellow Sun, or Small Island. I finished it in a day - I could not put it down. Very satisfying and highly recommended.

Tractor Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Stickers)
Tractor Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Stickers)
by Dorling Kindersley
Price: 3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice stickers but the book itself is dull, 5 Mar 2010
I bought this for my little boy, who is tractor mad. He loved the stickers - they are bright and well thought out but the book in which they are supposed to be stuck into is dull. There is a shaped place for each sticker to be stuck along with some information. It is not particularly colourful or appealing to children. It would have worked much better to supply a different range of colourful farm scenes for the stickers to be added to.

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest
by Stieg Larsson
Price: 18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing after the first two books, 5 Mar 2010
I was so looking forward to reading this book after several late nights enjoying the first two books, but I struggled with this one. There is less action than in the first two books and yet more characters are introduced, some which appeared as quite one dimensional. The story follows the legal process and the gathering of evidence. I also found myself getting frustrated with the lack of sophistication in describing the emotions and motivations of the different characters. I did find it entertaining in parts, which is why I have awarded it three stars, but the quality of writing evident in the first two books was not there. Is it possible that this book was not edited before being released?

Cranks Recipe Book: The Vegetarian Classics (Cranks Restaurants)
Cranks Recipe Book: The Vegetarian Classics (Cranks Restaurants)
by David Canter

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, but still inspiring, 3 Jan 2010
Having used several vegetarian cookbooks, this is the best and most heavily used in my collection. I return to it again and again, even though I love meat and am far from being vegetarian. I have made virtually all the recipes in this book and they are reliable, as you would expect from a restaurant that has presumably tested each one time and time again.

The Kitchen Diaries
The Kitchen Diaries
by Nigel Slater
Price: 20.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: The Kitchen Diaries (Hardcover)
I normally like Nigel Slater's recipes so was really looking foward to this book coming out, particularly as it deals with seasonal produce, something which I was interested in learning more about.

This hardback is beautifully bound and has good quality paper, but open it up and the photos are shocking. Dull and old fashioned looking. Not inspiring at all, which is a problem if you use cookbooks for inspiration!

The real test of a cookbook for me is how easy the recipes are to follow and what they taste like. The recipes I tried were easy to follow, but a couple needed quite substantial tweaking to make them taste reasonable. I have never had this problem with Nigel's other books and I am an experienced cook. Somehow, this book comes across as a little self indulgent and Nigel appears to me to be resting on the laurels of past success. I would suggest if you are interested in knowing which foods are in season at different times of the year, to look it up for free on the internet and to treat yourself to a different cookbook.

Yoga for Health
Yoga for Health
by Richard Hittleman

5.0 out of 5 stars In a word...superb, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Yoga for Health (Paperback)
I used this book as a teenager in the eighties and practising the poses in it every day made me remarkably flexible. Fast forward to being a thirty something mum who is very unfit and had a bad back. Again it is working its miracle. I can't say that I am as flexible as I was as a teenager, but my back is very much improved, and I am getting benefit from the relaxation and visualisation this time around. I think the secret to its success lies with its simplicity and clarity. The instructions are very straightforward, which is especially helpful when you are mid routine!

Leith's Vegetarian Bible
Leith's Vegetarian Bible
by Polly Tyrer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very impressed, 3 Jan 2010
This book is well laid out, with recipes grouped according to their main ingredient, and the recipes are also carefully indexed, so it is easy to find what you are looking for.

However, for a book that bills itself as a bible of cooking, the range of recipes are not comprehensive enough. I received the book as a birthday gift and looked forward to finding a way to use the tempeh and pea shoots that I had bought the day before, but these ingredients were not mentioned. The recipes I tried were edible but needed enhancing to turn them into something really tasty. For example, the cauliflower dal curry was much nicer when balanced with natural yoghurt and sugar.

The other thing I didn't like was that the few pictures that there are are horrible, looking very much as though they have been recycled from one of the seventies cook books on my mum's kitchen shelf. It would improve future editions of the book to either remove the pictures or have them re-taken.

All in all, this book does not come across as a labour of love on the part of the authors and it did not inspire me to continue to use it. Maybe it is alright if you are new to vegetarianism, or want a book of vegetable accompaniments for your meat or fish. I would recommend a more concise book written by authors who actually are vegetarian and have true passion for the food that they create.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2010 3:59 PM BST

Diggers Sticker Book
Diggers Sticker Book
by Alice Pearcey
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 16 Sep 2009
This review is from: Diggers Sticker Book (Paperback)
This book is a bright and colourful sticker book. One of my 20 month old son's first phrases was 'Digger Book'. He asks for it and plays with it again and again, he plays with it when supervised as he is under 3. Even when all the stickers have been removed, it is possible to peel them off the pages and stick them back down again once or twice. I think older children would enjoy this book too. There are various different settings in which to place the diggers, and other items, and a create your own scene page at the end. The different vehicles are named so I have learnt a bit about diggers through this book, even though I am long past school age!

Maisy's Amazing Word Book (Maisy) (Maisy)
Maisy's Amazing Word Book (Maisy) (Maisy)
by Lucy Cousins

4.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and appealing but a bit delicate, 16 Sep 2009
Maisy's big book of words is bright and appealing to children. My son likes it very much. However, if you have some of the other Maisy books, you may notice that the pages are thinner and the flaps are therefore more delicate. My son is a little heavy handed so I found this a bit disappointing, but otherwise it is a good buy.