Profile for Lendrick > Reviews

Content by Lendrick

Lendrick (London)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
2 x atFoliX Screen Protection Asus MeMO Pad Smart 10.1 ME301T - FX-Antireflex anti-reflective
Offered by @FoliX GmbH

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality, but tricky to get on, 13 Jun. 2013
Feels like it will work well as a protector, but the very precisely sized holes for camera and light sensor make it really difficult to line up when applying so I've ended up with a fair number of air bubble, a bit more tolerance would have helped.

Navitech Faux Leather Case Cover With Rotational Stand For The Asus Memo Pad Smart 10 ME301T (Red)
Offered by Navitech Official UK Store Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Solid but rather too chunky, 13 Jun. 2013
Wanted something to protect the tablet on it's travels, this feels like it will do the job. However it is rather chunky and the stand function a little tricky. So when at home the tablet 'takes it coat off' and does without the case. Limited choice though for this tablet.

Deluxe Black Leather Case Cover For BlackBerry Playbook
Deluxe Black Leather Case Cover For BlackBerry Playbook

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent good value case, 13 Jun. 2013
Fits my Playbook very well, and has good sturdy feel on the whole. Only quibble is that the double fold that allows you to prop the playbook up at 2 different angles is already getting a bit floppy so I'm not sure how durable it will prove longer term.

Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life
Getting Results the Agile Way: A Personal Results System for Work and Life
by Michael Kropp

3.0 out of 5 stars Some good ideas but poor presentation, 7 Jun. 2013
Everyone seems to want to be more Agile these days. J D Meier tries to apply agile principles to personal effectiveness, updating the Getting Things Done types approach. There are some interesting ideas here that I'll try to put into practice e.g.;

* outcomes over tasks
* Monday Vision and Friday Reflection
* Rule of 3

However, while JD has a good writing style the material is not well presented, firstly there are the innumerable lists;
10 Values
10 Principles
12 Core Practices
25 Strategies for Results etc. etc.

Then there is the structure of the book while it starts with a good summary of the method, subsequent sections and the appendices go into more and yet more detail. It makes for a very repetitive read if you try and read it all the way through (as I did on a train journey).

Thirdly it tries to cover a lot of ground including Motivations, Mindsets etc. the problem with covering these complex subjects briefly is it can seem a little glib. There is also a strong emphasis on 'working out' regularly - fine for some, but it may put others off.

The book is subtitled "A Personal Results System for Work and Life" and my feeling is that this system is a little too personal to JD to be widely adopted. However the Part 1 is worth a read (or just checkout the website) and you may well cherry pick some ideas from it as I have.

The Negotiator in You: At Home (BBC Audio)
The Negotiator in You: At Home (BBC Audio)
by Joshua N. Weiss
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 17 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This CD is part of a 3 part series and the opening 5 minutes or so of it are a bit confusing as it is a standard intro for all 3 CDs. Once you get into the actual 'Negotiator at Home' content you get some fairly sound in hardly hugely enlightening device on dealing with negotiations. The content is quite short and delivered at pace in a american accent. Listening in the car I found I was missing key parts and it wasn't really practical to go back and review while driving. So I'd suggest listening in an environment where you can do so.

Overall for someone who hasn't had any exposure to negotiation techniques this might be useful, but there must be better resources out there.

Kindle Fire Genuine Leather Cover by Marware, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)
Kindle Fire Genuine Leather Cover by Marware, Black (will only fit Kindle Fire)

4.0 out of 5 stars perfect for my kindle fire, 5 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Before I has this i was uncomfortable taking my kindle out and about, always worried it would be damaged. Now i take it everywhere, the case is easy to use and fits the job description. It is simple, not fiddly and most of the time when using my kindle i forget it is there. i never take my kindle out of the case and couldn't ask for any more. Only thing is that is slightly heavy and makes the kindle a little bulkier than you expect.

Marware Anti-Scratch Screen Protector 2-Pack With Cleaning Cloth for Kindle Fire  [will only fit Kindle Fire (2nd Generation)]
Marware Anti-Scratch Screen Protector 2-Pack With Cleaning Cloth for Kindle Fire [will only fit Kindle Fire (2nd Generation)]

4.0 out of 5 stars 'does what is says on the packet', 5 May 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Useful screen protector that doesn't get in the way. The edges are not noticeable yet it is easy and quick to put on, takes away all the stress of the screen being scratched and lasts a long time (mine has stayed on for 4 months with no sign of coming off in the near future). No complaints, happy with product.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower [DVD]
The Perks of Being a Wallflower [DVD]
Dvd ~ Logan Lerman
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent coming of age drama, 4 May 2013
Watched this with my teenage daughters who loved it, I'm obviously not the target demographic but thought it was reasonably enjoyable. It's a familiar tale of coming of age, central character Charlie starts begin his freshman year of high school, has problems with the jocks, falls in with, then out with, a more alternative crowd and learns a few life lessons. In the background there is a darker secret from his past the only really come to the fore in the final third, and for me it's only in that final third that the film lifts above the average. Part of the problem is I didn't particularly warm to Charlie who is was a bit too flat a character to be really likable. I've only half watched a couple of Harry Potter films so didn't have many expectations of Emma Watson, but I though she was very good as Sam the object of Charlies affections.

The film is set in early 1990s, so no mobile phones or CDs and a soundtrack that often overlaps my own University years, which made it slightly odd viewing. While it very hard to believe that nobody would know what the Bowie track central to one of the main scenes was. It also shows it adaption from a novel at times, with some aspects that don't quite fit / aren't really explained, e.g. the Beatles single.

Overall though a quite enjoyable film.

The Fast Diet: The Secret of Intermittent Fasting - Lose Weight, Stay Healthy, Live Longer
by Dr Michael Mosley

3.0 out of 5 stars 3 stars for the book but 5 for the diet plan!, 4 May 2013
I've never been one to stick to diet plans, always seems such a joyless exercise to me. But with middle age catching up on me and my BMI creeping out of the healthy range I had to do something. I'd become aware of the Fast Diet through coverage in the media and a relative losing weight on it, so decided to give a go based on what I had heard. I was attracted by it's simplicity, not having to calorie count every day means there are few rules to follow. While I didn't (don't) find it easy it has worked - losing about 6kg since I started in mid January.

But I thought I should understood a bit more about it, so bought the book. The first third is a useful introduction to the theory and the science behind the diet. The later is in reality a little sketchy with quite a few comments along the lines of 'more research is needed'. However on the whole it's convincing, at least to me. After that you get the authors own experience of the diet, some recipes, some others diet diaries and finally some calorie tables.

Have to say, I found the later 2/3 of the book less interesting, reality is with things like this each experience will be differ and if you don't find the fasting as simple as Micheal Mosley seem to that shouldn't put you off. As for the recipes well possibly useful if you are single, but my regime consists of porridge for breakfast and then a smaller portion of wherever the family are having for dinner. Cooking separate meals for me isn't really an option I want to take.

All in all it's a short book that feels rather padded, the great thing about the Fast Diet is it's simplicity and it doesn't need a even a 200 page book to explain it.

As for the diet. Well the Breakfast and dinner regime works for me, though it can be struggle some afternoons at work, mainly early afternoon. I don't fast if there is a particularly demanding afternoon ahead, and sometimes that means I only manage one days fasting a week. But I still benefit from that. I do see it as a long term strategy, once my weight is at a level I'm happy with (about 67kg) I'll stick to one fast day a week for the foreseeable. If your are tempted by it give it a go, you don't really need the book, but it might be helpful.

Troll Hunter [DVD]
Troll Hunter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Knut Nærum
Offered by DVDBayFBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Very clever film, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Troll Hunter [DVD] (DVD)
Other reviews will give you the gist - this is a found footage story (similar to Cloverfield [DVD] ) about a bunch of students filming a 'poacher' who turns out to be Troll Hunter. It's laced with plenty of deadpan humour and makes fantastic use of the Norwegian scenery. The trolls when they appear are also very well done. A monster moview with a twist, and one I greatly enjoyed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20