Profile for S. J. Wey > Reviews

S. J. Wey

Lucy [Blu-ray] [2014]
Lucy [Blu-ray] [2014]
Dvd ~ Scarlett Johansson

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful transcendent film - loved every minute, 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Lucy [Blu-ray] [2014] (Blu-ray)
Beautiful transcendent film - loved every minute. I don't get the negative reviews - it's fiction - suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride because the whole film just kept me on the edge of my seat from start to finish, if anything it went by too fast.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2014 4:52 PM GMT

Upstairs at Eric's
Upstairs at Eric's

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not Upstairs at Eric's, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Upstairs at Eric's (Audio CD)
I don't know what is going on here but it seems I am not alone, I just played this and the tracks are all from "You and me both" (which I have already) even though the CD and case both say it's "Upstairs at Erics" - clearly there has been a major mixup!

Manhattan 7-Port USB 2.0 Ultra Hub, Plug and Play C Windows and Mac compatible (161039)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent hub, 13 Oct 2013
Mine did come with the right power adapter (which I am using) and more importantly it is one of the few USB hubs available that have a Multiple Transaction Translator (MTT) which is essential for people wanting to use high bandwidth devices (e.g. audio interfaces) without them eating into each other's bandwidth. Good price, 7 ports, solid build and doesn't take up lots of space, working fine for me after several months of daily use.

Life on Earth [Blu-ray]
Life on Earth [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Sir David Attenborough

3.0 out of 5 stars A flawed release, 24 Sep 2013
This review is from: Life on Earth [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Life on Earth as a series would get 5 stars from me but unfortunately this bluray release suffers from some unforgivable flaws. While it is great to see this classic in HD and mostly the film is greatly improved as several reviewers attest, the same is not true of the commentary which is badly edited and in places jumps from one topic to the next, missing out parts of, or even whole, sentences. For example check the transition in the Amphibian episode between David Attenborough talking about poison arrow frogs and then tree frogs with waxy skins. The first part of the sentence is cutoff so it starts halfway through his explanation of why frogs need to guard against drying out, basically you miss where he states this is a problem for amphibians. I have noticed several such bad cuts so far. Whoever did this seems to have not been paying full attention. Another annoyance is it is very hard to distinguish between selected and deselected options in the bluray menu, the visual cue is so subtle I can barely see it; several times I have turned on subtitles by mistake trying to select the right episode. This a shocking lack of attention to detail; quite disappointing given the stature of this series in BBC and TV history

KeySonic ACK-610 EL - Keyboard - USB
KeySonic ACK-610 EL - Keyboard - USB

1.0 out of 5 stars LED fades out after a few months, 3 Sep 2011
I have bought two of these and both times the keyboard backlighting has gradually faded out over the months. There seems to be no way to replace the lights so unless you want a disposable keyboard with a limited LED life it is not worth paying so much for.

Red, Hot + Blue: A Tribute to Cole Porter(CD + DVD) [1990] (REGION 1) (NTSC) [2006] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Afrika Bambaataa
Offered by EliteDigital UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Classic UK production but not available in the UK, 2 Mar 2011
It's just ridiculous that this project that was shown on TV in the UK and features many UK as well as US performers is now only available in a format most people in the UK can't use. Come on Amazon - release the UK PAL version too!

Visit/Seduction
Visit/Seduction

1.0 out of 5 stars Still a fan but dissapointed, 18 Dec 2009
This review is from: Visit/Seduction (Audio CD)
I was a big fan of Ludus back in the early 80's and was looking to replace my now rather worn copy of "The Visit" which I have had in its original 12" vinyl form since I bought it on its release. Unfortunately although it is sold as a remaster of the original it is not the same recording that I have on vinyl. It differs in several significant ways. Linder's voice is far more on tune in the vinyl version, the playing is tighter and more professional. The instrumentation is noticeably different, for example in the vinyl version there is a lengthy guitar improvisation in "I can't dream I have nightmares" but this is completely missing from the CD version. Also the CD version is really badly mastered (or at least based on a bad recording) - sounds are slurry and smeared, the vocals and instrumentation are not clearly defined sonically or spatially. I would love a CD version of this great collection of tracks - at their best Ludus were awesome; sharp, jazzy, intelligent, partisan musical statements. Sadly this CD does not do them justice and I would not have bought it had I known how different it sounded from my much loved and much played 12"
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 25, 2013 1:55 PM BST