Profile for A. B. > Reviews

Content by A. B.

A. B. (Dorset United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Rebecca/Mansfield Park/Brief Encounter [DVD]
Rebecca/Mansfield Park/Brief Encounter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emilia Fox

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 good movies for little money, 22 May 2011
I bought this collection for the Rebecca remake, so the two other movies were a nice bonus. I prefer this Rebecca remake to the black and white version, it is beautifully filmed and Emilia Fox and Diana Riggs give very credible performances and after my initial disappointment with Charles Dance (who looks nothing as my imagined Maxim De Winter), I soon also started to enjoy his performance. The remake is not quite as dark and atmospheric as the novel but miles better than previous films (at least that is my opinion).
I also really enjoyed the Mansfield Park version with Billy Piper, I actually liked it better than the novel and it certainly hold it's own with previous versions.
I had never seen or heard of Brief Encounters, not being particularly into black and white movies. I didn't have high expectations but actually enjoyed watching this emotional film about two married peope meeting by chance and falling in love with each other.I think this film has been remastered as the sound and picture quality is very good. I don't think I will watch this film again soon but lovers of classic black and white movies will probably love it.
Overall a very enjoyable collection for period film lovers!

Acer Aspire 5734Z 15.6-inch HD LCD Laptop, Intel Pentium T4500, 4GB, 500GB, DVD,Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium

3.0 out of 5 stars Had higher expectations after reading the positive reviews, 16 May 2011
There are some positive things about this laptop and some not so good ones.
The best thing is probably that it plays all my discs and DVDs, even those that some DVD players don't want to play. The screen quality is really good and in HD. But, like others mentioned before, the speakers are of an awful quality. As soon as the laptop makes a slight buzzing noice, you cannot hear anything. I use a pair of old headphones I still had and with those the sound quality is excellent (though not much use if more than 1 person wants to watch the dvd).
The longest I have used the laptop without cable is 2.5 hours but that was mostly on stand by. When I played dvds, I never managed to watch a complete film, not even with a fully charged battery.
I noticed that the mains cable comes off very easily, numerous times when I had the laptop on my lap, the cable came out without me noticing.
It has a decent size keybored, useful if you don't have tiny hands!
I am a bit disappointed with the speed, the processor is clearly not the best, the laptop is not that much faster than my 5 year old PC, and I don't do much with it at the moment apart from watching my DVDs and go on FB, Ebay etc.
Also, I really don't like Windows 7 Home Premium, it's not user friendly and very, very basic. Actually, it's not free software at all, after 3 month you have to purchase it! But don't bother, it's rubbish! I had it removed and Windows 7 Professionals installed instead which is much better.
I also find downloading photos from my mobile is a real hassle, it won't accept the installation disc from my mobile phone, I never had difficulties on any other PC before. And since I had my mew software, it has not been a problem any more.
The webcam is also not very good, sometimes it's not working when I skype.
I don't do any games at all, so I cannot comment on it's suitability for that.
Overall, with my new software, I use it a lot, for pleasure and work and it serves me well.

Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD]
Downton Abbey - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant period drama, 13 May 2011
I loved this TV series and bought the dvd as soon as it came out.
This 'Upstairs, downstairs-like' drama is set in Edwardian Britain and is beautifully filmed and acted, much much better than the old Upstairs, Downstairs series.
Written by Julian Fellows, it's similar to his Edwardian drama/ crime story Gosford Park, just without the murder. Downton Abby has a stronger focus on the love lives and personal stories of the various characters.
This series ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, you are kept wondering if two young people will end up happily ever after in the next series or not.
If you enjoy period dramas, then you will love this series.

Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang [DVD]
Nanny McPhee & The Big Bang [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emma Thompson
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

5.0 out of 5 stars Great - not just for kids, 13 May 2011
I loved this funny and quirky film. Children and adults will enjoy it alike and if you loved the first film, you will not be disappointed about this one.
This film is set in 2nd world war Britain and is not quite as brightly coloured than the previous film but there is a lot of attention to small, quirky details and the more you watch the fim, the more of these you will notice.
I was not so keen of Maggie Gillenhaal's performance, which I found very exaggerated and a bit artificial but my friends did not agree with me, so that's just my personal opinion!

Letters to Juliet [DVD] [2010]
Letters to Juliet [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Amanda Seyfried

4.0 out of 5 stars Feel-good romance/ chick flick, 13 May 2011
I really enjoyed this light-hearted and funny film. Obviously, the end is pretty predictable, as in most romantic comedies, but there are quite a few some witty dialogues that make the film very entertaining and watchable.

South West Ireland (Cadogan Guides)
South West Ireland (Cadogan Guides)
by Catharina Day

3.0 out of 5 stars Informative but a bit boring, 13 May 2011
I bought this travel guide because it is specifically about the Southwest and not the whole of Ireland.
The guide is informative about places of interest and history but there are not may photos and illustrations, and they are not in colour either.
I read the guide before I went on holiday but didn't bother to take it with me, I very much prefer the Eyewitness Ireland guide. I wouldn't buy another guide from Cadogan.

Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
by Lisa Gerard-Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Travel Guide, 13 May 2011
The Eyewitness books are by far my favourite travel guides because of their great illustrations and photos and the one on Ireland is no exeption.
I had never been to Ireland before and the guide gave some good advice on interesting places to visit. The illustrations and photos gave mostly a realistic impression of the scenery and landscape.
But we visited a country house (Bantry House) which had a double-sided feature in the travel guide, I know now why the illustrations were sketches and not photographs: the building was in need of renovation and pretty run down. But after looking into the guide I had expected a grand house. Some realistic warning what to expect would have been more honest.
Also, there is no realistic advice on travel times in mountainous, rural areas. The roads were much more narrow and scary in places (Caha Mountains) and there was no mention of this at all in the guide.
Overall, a beautiful, informative travel guide but it would benefit from some realistic updating. I still give it a 5* review because the other travel guides we had were not as nicely illustrated and the information was no better.

17" Laptop Bag Carry Case Floral Black Pink 200
17" Laptop Bag Carry Case Floral Black Pink 200

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last very long, 12 April 2011
Initially I was really pleased with this bag, I use it for my 15'6 laptop but it's big enough for larger laptops as well. It is made from robust material and has good padding. There is enough space for your charger/ cable next to it and it will carry some slim A4 files as well. I like that the zip goes 3/4 around the bag, I just open the zip and leave the laptop in the bag when I am using it whilst out and about. It also comes with a padded shoulder strap.
This bag is much cheaper than any ones I have seen at PC World or other shops but of good quality. It also comes in other designs if pink florals are not your taste.
However here is an update: I had it now for 10 months, not used it very often at all and the stitching is unrevelling, making it unsafe to carry the laptop. Am currently trying to get a refund or replcaement from the seller trendy-tronics.

TP-Link TD-W8950ND 150MBPS Wireless Lite N ADSL2+ Modem Router
TP-Link TD-W8950ND 150MBPS Wireless Lite N ADSL2+ Modem Router
Offered by Tick UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Relatively easy to use, 12 April 2011
This is the first wireless router /modem I ever bought and I decided on this one because of the positive reviews and because people said it's very simple to install.
Well, if you are technically challenged like I am, it's not quite that straightforward. I had no idea what an ISP is and what my ISP login and password were. And contrary to some reviewers, the router did not work it out automatically. But in fairness, once I got that information (by phoning the technical support team of my broadband provider; in case you are as ignorant as I am) the installation process was easy to follow and done in less than 10 minutes. I connected my PC and laptop without a problem. By the way,
I am still not sure if it installed a password protection for the homegroup I set up as I am never prompted for it and I will have to ask my boyfriend to check that for me.
The router has been in use for the last 5 days and I never had any problems with internet connection in any room of my flat and it also picked up my next door neighbours homegroup. However, I am not using the internet for hours on end, so I cannot say if connections might get worse at busy times.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2 Disc Special Edition) [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Offered by b68solutions

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good fim but much more commercialized than Twilight, 11 Feb 2010
I enjoyed New Moon and watched it twice in the cinema. The film moves faster and there is more action but unfortunately some of the emotionality is lost in the process. I have watched Twilight lots of times and the emotional intensity gets me every time, in New Moon it didn't get me when I watched the film the second time.
The change in director makes a big difference, this film is much more commercial, a lot of bare chests to drool over, and brighter colours but some of the edge was lost.
I liked that in this film the Cullens looked more like vampires, I thought they looked to 'normal' in the first film. But I didn't like the wolves, in this day and age they shouldn't look so much like bad animation, I think more money should have been spend on good animation to make them look more realistic. I was also disppointed how the 3 main Volturi were portrayed, they looked young and strong not as described in the books.
Overall, I think Hardwick got the essence of the books better than the new director but it is still a very enjoyable film. Am not sure though if I will watch the dvd as often as I watched Twilight.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7