Profile for A. B. > Reviews

Content by A. B.

A. B. (Dorset United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Forever Friends: A Christmas Wish For You
Forever Friends: A Christmas Wish For You
Offered by Springwood Media
Price: 4.95

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, 16 Dec 2013
I bought these CDs because I wanted some cheap Xmas compilations. It has got some nice, well known songs on it, quite a few lesser known ones and some rubbish ones. There is a list of all the songs in the product description, I suggest you look at it in order to decide if you want to buy it or not. If you want mainly all the well known pop versions you will probably be better off with a more expensive collection.

Big Girls Do It Better (Book 1)
Big Girls Do It Better (Book 1)
Price: 0.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Short story rather than a novel, 9 July 2013
If you like erotic short stories, thamn this is quite a good read but I found it just a bit short, I prefer a proper novel you can get lost in.

Ten Shades of Sexy
Ten Shades of Sexy

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a novel, just a chapter from a couple of different books, 9 July 2013
This is not a novel, just a chapter each from a couple of different books, I wouldn't bother downloading it.

Bio Health Comfrey Ointment 42ml
Bio Health Comfrey Ointment 42ml
Price: 6.06

1.0 out of 5 stars Next time I buy one from a different manufacturer, 9 July 2013
When the tub arrived it was obvious that it had been opened before, the seal was broken and the edges slightly smeared with congealed cream. It was replaced by Amazon without a problem but shouldn't have been sold in the first place.
Also, being made by a company called Bio Health I wrongly assumed it was 100% natural and had no chemicals in it but it's actually full of parabens.
I would use comfrey cream again because it actually works well on cuts and bruises and speeds up healing but next time I buy one from a different company.

5 LED USB & Wind Up Dynamo Torch
5 LED USB & Wind Up Dynamo Torch
Offered by Ryness Lighting & Electrical
Price: 13.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after 2.5 weeks, 29 Jan 2012
Initially I was pleased with this torch, when it is fully charged it is very bright and far reaching.
However, it only lasts half the time as advertised.
If you want to charge it manually, be prepared for a fair bit of arm action!
Anyway, the torch stopped working after a little while, I returned it to the seller (not Amazon) and had to wait weeks for a refund.
I bought a torch that can be mains charged from B&Q instead, it was 3.00 more but works better and gives even more light.

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 [DVD]
The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristen Stewart
Price: 3.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable but it didn't get me hooked, 1 Dec 2011
I left the cinema slightly disappointed as the film ends halfway through the story and the ending was somewhat of a let down.
But there are some very good bits for all of those who like a good dose of romance, the wedding and the honeymoon were beautifully filmed.
The only real criticsm I have was that Bella looked distinctively anorexic in her wedding gown; what was the director thinking?? This movie is watched by millons of teenage girls who see Bella as a role model and the makers of this film should have been a lot more responsible!
Bella's pregnancy drags on a bit, just as in the book and the movie ends just when all the interesting bits start. Even though this film is my least favourite so far, I think the last part should be very exciting again.

A Treatment Manual for Adolescents Displaying Harmful Sexual Behaviour: Change for Good
by Eamon McCrory
Price: 44.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Use with caution, 23 Nov 2011
This manual can be useful for experienced practitioners who want to add different exercises to their intervention work. The exercises are well explained and the cd is useful as it allows you to print bits out again and again.
However, some of the author's ideas are rather unrealistic; it would no doubt be useful if young people would do homework after each session but in all the years we have done this work in our team, we have never come across young people who actually do that, so this idea caused some amusement amongst us.
Other ideas were less amusing but worrying, like the suggestion that young people should write a letter of apology to their victim as homework. This is a powerful exercise that can raise a lot of anxiety and shame for the YP and therefor it needs to be done carefully in a session with the therapist being present and able to support.
Overall, I will use some exercises but I had the impression that this manual was developed by someone who hasn't got not that much experience in actually undertaking this work with young people and I would not recommed it to inexperienced practitioners. I use it together with Pathways and the AIM manuel and mix and match depending on what works with each young person. If you already have got the other 2 manuals, I probably wouldn't go through the expense of buying this one as well.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it but books can be more expensive, 1 Sep 2011
I love the kindle, it's easy to use and save lots of space on the bookshelve!
The main positive is obviously that you can take it with you on holiday, without carrying tons of books with you. The battery life is good, about 25 - 30 hours. Mine hasn't got G but I have never needed it, WIFI is perfectly adequate.
If you like reading classics then you can download a lot of them for free. The formatting can be awful sometimes but if the book is free I'm not complaining. There are also free contemporary novels, I have downloaded some but not yet read any. It's also nice just to download something for free that you may never considered buying.
There are a lot of unknown authors who publish there first novels for free, some are very good, others not so but you can just delete them if they don't grip you.
However, not all books are that cheap to download. If a book has been published for a while it may be cheaper as a paperback from a discount book shop than as an ebook on Kindle. I have also noticed some boods are actually cheaper as paperacks in the Amazom book department! It's worth shopping around if you can be bothered. The same applies for accessories, like Kindle covers, there are lots of those available on ebay for a fraction of the price than the Amazon ones.
If you are bilingual and want to read foreign novels, you can change your country settings and then download kindle books published in other countries; I downloaded lots of free books from the German Kindle shop!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2011 6:06 PM BST

Lilies : Complete BBC Series 1 [2007] [DVD]
Lilies : Complete BBC Series 1 [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kerrie Hayes
Price: 12.14

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable working class period drama series, 27 May 2011
I am a great lover of period dramas and bought this series because of the many 5* reviews. I didn't actually see the series when it was aired 4 years ago.
I have to say that I was a bit disappointed, the series reminded me a bit of an upmarked version of one of these Cathrine Cookson dvds that you can sometimes get free with a Sunday newspaper. After recently watching period drams like Downton Abbey, I found this series was in comparison a bit lacking in wit and irony.
Don't get me wrong, this is quite enjoyable to watch and I got more into it as the series progressed but personally, I didn't like the setting and accents (sorry to anyone from Liverpool I may offend). However, it gave a good insight in 1920th working class live.

Rebecca/Mansfield Park/Brief Encounter [DVD]
Rebecca/Mansfield Park/Brief Encounter [DVD]
Dvd ~ Emilia Fox
Price: 8.16

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 good movies for little money, 22 May 2011
I bought this collection for the Rebecca remake, so the two other movies were a nice bonus. I prefer this Rebecca remake to the black and white version, it is beautifully filmed and Emilia Fox and Diana Riggs give very credible performances and after my initial disappointment with Charles Dance (who looks nothing as my imagined Maxim De Winter), I soon also started to enjoy his performance. The remake is not quite as dark and atmospheric as the novel but miles better than previous films (at least that is my opinion).
I also really enjoyed the Mansfield Park version with Billy Piper, I actually liked it better than the novel and it certainly hold it's own with previous versions.
I had never seen or heard of Brief Encounters, not being particularly into black and white movies. I didn't have high expectations but actually enjoyed watching this emotional film about two married peope meeting by chance and falling in love with each other.I think this film has been remastered as the sound and picture quality is very good. I don't think I will watch this film again soon but lovers of classic black and white movies will probably love it.
Overall a very enjoyable collection for period film lovers!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6