Profile for John.W. > Reviews

Go Vacation (Wii)
Go Vacation (Wii)
Offered by Arancia Eoutlet

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun for all the family, 17 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Go Vacation (Wii) (Video Game)
All been said in other reviews really.
Three year old granddaughter loves going round mountain resort on horseback but sometimes needs help with controls.
We 60 plus year old grandparents do not generally play computer games so have nothing to compare it with but just the two of us are enjoying a game of this together most evenings: well there's not much on the telly is there!
It is packed full of stuff to do and we get quite pleased with ourselves when we find something new in the resorts.
Not full five stars because we do find some parts a bit irritating (for instance some of the chat with the resort people uses Americanisms) but that's more of a personal gripe.

Bosch Rotak 34 Ergoflex Electric Rotary Lawnmower (34 cm Cutting Width) (Old Version) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 9 Jan. 2013
I got it to replace my Honda motor mower that I used when I did a bit of jobbing gardening. It does not flatten the ground as well but it is about 1/5th the weight.

For my small domestic lawn it is superb. It cuts right up to the edge. It runs smoothly and is easy to clean. I like the arrangement to take the tension of the cable off its plug socket.

I had no problems building the grass box but a reasonably strong grip is necessary to click it together.

Selections Lawn Roller
Selections Lawn Roller
Offered by Garden Selections

4.0 out of 5 stars A handy tool., 9 Jan. 2013
If it was 3 times heavier it would have 5 stars. It does what I would expect of a moderate weight roller. after a prolonged wet spell it does a tolerable job. Suits my needs. Nicely made. Very easy to drain for storage.

Brambly Hedge - Spring Story (Carry Case) [DVD]
Brambly Hedge - Spring Story (Carry Case) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Brambly Hedge
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars One of 3 year old grand daughter's favourites, 9 Jan. 2013
We bought this a while ago. This gentle DVD never seems to lose its magic. A good choice for bedtime.

E-Volve MP3 Vibe-Dock Home portable speaker system compatible with (Creative Zen Touch Touch 2 / Stone Stone Plus / Vision W / Micro / Mozaic EZ / style 100 300 / Nano Plus / Neeon / Sleek / V Plus / VisionM / X-Fi2 / X-Fi3 )

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, 9 Jan. 2013
I have struggled trying to listen to my Zen Mp3 player on its own speaker. Try hammering quietly and you'll see what I mean.

The tone is better than I could have wished for. It makes me happy. Works well with NiMh AA batteries.

Lost and Found [DVD]
Lost and Found [DVD]
Dvd ~ Philip Hunt

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter's favourite., 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Lost and Found [DVD] (DVD)
This is a charming little film which grandparents will also enjoy. It is not twee , nor is it raucous.

Melbourne 1820-1875: A Diary of the Various Occurrences Which Have Taken Place
Melbourne 1820-1875: A Diary of the Various Occurrences Which Have Taken Place
by John Joseph Briggs

5.0 out of 5 stars If you live near Melbourne in Derbyshire........, 9 Jan. 2013
This is a fascinating book about many aspects of Victorian rural life in a village. A thoroughly enjoyable book that adds characters to the landscape when walking in the area. A window on a world that will never be seen again although life was often hard.

Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Veho VFS-008 Smartfix Scan to SD Stand Alone Slide and Negative Scanner
Offered by Veho Lifestyle Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars A neat device., 8 Jan. 2013
I have a lot of slides and was scanning them 12 per day in the lunch break at work on the flat bed scanner.

The Veho is ever so handy and quick. I can do the initial scans while watching telly.

The colour rendition seems a little off sometimes but it must be borne in mind that the most recent slides are over 10 years old. Basically, if slides are good then the result will be good.

The only reason I haven't given it 5 stars is that there is a tiny spot that appears on every picture. Invisible if on a dark bit. I have not been able to shift it with the cleaning stick provided. Probably a one off problem. It really does not show much and does not bother me.... and I'm quite fussy.

I have scanned some of my dad's slides from the 1940s where the colour and saturation of the originals were dire. A bit of fiddling with editing software has rendered them lookatable but they won't win prizes. We can't expect miracles. It also copes with buckled slides quite well. (some of mine were partly shriveled in a projector that worked like a toaster)