Profile for maglin > Reviews

Cashmere Comb by Catherine Robinson
Cashmere Comb by Catherine Robinson
Offered by Catherine Robinson Cashmere

4.0 out of 5 stars combing my cashmere sweaters, 12 Jun 2014
This is an excellent tool for freshening up one's cashmere sweaters. Do not use it on plain wool though as it may snag.

Aegypt (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
Aegypt (FANTASY MASTERWORKS)
by John Crowley

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic in fantasy, 9 Jun 2014
This is a marvellous book. Well written, well researched and based on the most intriguing historical facts. I have read it now and again, and every time discovering something new to revel in as this is a book to be devoured in one sitting if possible. In my library I do have the sequels for the Ægypt quartet, but it is this first volume that I keep on returning to and rereading ever so often. The story has many levels and depths and will require your concentration as a reader but once started and understood for what it is this is one of the best fantasy books written in the 20th century.

Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris 1)
Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris 1)
by Jim C. Hines

2.0 out of 5 stars Good story, mediocre writer, 27 Mar 2014
The plot is really amazing. Using books to make magic and Johann Gutenberg, inventor of the printing press, as the one person who started it all. A live firespider and a sexy dryad coming alive but brought forward from books.The use of Excalibur, tardis and whatever...
As much as I would like these powers I can't but feeling let down by the writing style. Shallow and repetitive without any drive or finesse at all. After reading one third of the story I started to skim as I wanted to know the completion of this first installment of 'ex libris'. But it was so tedious I am not going to invest in the next books of the series.
A big disappointment.

The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle)
by Patrick Rothfuss

4.0 out of 5 stars I like Kvothe, 19 Mar 2014
Yes I like Kvothe, even though I find him tedious sometimes. Tedious in the same way reading the sequel to The Name of the Wind was. Seconds are tricky, and unfortunately the second part in a triology is often the weakest. Having devoured a promising first in a couple of days this second course took quite some time to go through. But it was well worth it. This is a heavy book but after reading it I know Kvothe better. I know him through details that another, less precise author might have chosen to omit out of fear to bore his reader. I like the way Kvothes strengths and weaknesses unfold and the fact that at seventeen a boy does not always think as a hero, or even act as a hero. Forming the myth about himself, Kvothe is also beginning to make himself the victim of this myth.
For my part I eagerly await the final book about Kvothe and hope that the author will take his time making the last book a tart and spicy dessert to make this a perfect three-course meal for avid readers.

Grace: A Memoir
Grace: A Memoir
by Grace Coddington

5.0 out of 5 stars A quirky British bird, 4 July 2013
This review is from: Grace: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I love Luella Bartley's book on 'British birds' and I consider Grace Coddington one of the greatest exponents for this rather special kind of species. Her memoirs are written in a chatty style. Reading it is like overhearing a really interesting talk by the next table at a nice café. Grace Coddington is a decent person, but with a tongue-in-cheek wittiness and quite acerbic reflections on the fashion world and the strange people inhabiting it. Even if her life has been filled with ups and downs and many sad moments Grace Coddington comes through as a sturdy British land girl (albeit very romantic), both feet happily planted deep in whatever piece of earth she decides to stand in, as long as it is fashionable earth of course!

Having lived all my teenage years in a dreary little Swedish town, Vogue was my saviour, and I can relate to Grace's fascination with the world in between the glossy pages. However she has manage to keep herself as a whole and unique person whilst working in this hectic and commercial world. Her sense of fashion and style is her own. Her memoirs reflects this and much more. Even if all is not available in the text that meets your eyes when you're reading this book, it seeps out between the lines. The graciousness and personality of Grace herself.

Classes in Classical Ballet
Classes in Classical Ballet
by Asaf Messerer

4.0 out of 5 stars Classical classes, 6 Feb 2013
This is one of the grand 'old' men from the classical Russian describing his view on making classes to get the very best out of a pupil and help them become good dancers. Messerer does not only focus on the physical training but includes the artistic side of dancing and how to present yourself on stage. Sometimes the language is a bit hard to understand (it is hard to describe how to move!) but then all the marvellous illustrations can help you out. I bought this book as a gift for my daughter, a dancer preparing to become a dance teacher. She simply loves it and has already tried out some of Messerers theories on her own students. As I understand it has worked very well! This is not a book for someone unfamiliar with classical ballet and the language of ballet, but for a reader with the wish to deepen the knowledge on Russian style and messerers theories on how to build a great dancer, this is a very good book.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson

5.0 out of 5 stars A healthy laugh for all generations, 31 Oct 2012
First time I read this book was in its original Swedish and I thought it one of the funniest book I've read in a very long time. I laughed so much that the whole of my family read it one by one, they all enjoyed it from my 84 year old mother to my 16 year old son.

The story inevetably remainds me of many of my British favourites, Three men in a boat, various Monthy Pythons, Terry Pratchett, Jasper Fforde. The absurd and slightly silly mixed with the contemporary and fantastic. The translation is very good but still I feel the book has lost a bit of its original feeling when transported to the English language. But then again, Swedish is such a small language compared to English, and I am happy Jonas Jonasson gets the opportunity to share his story with many more readers than those chosen few who can read Swedish. If you need a good laugh and some time to relax, read this book. To balance the absurdities the narrative contains a healthy dose of melancholia as well. It is a perfect read for the dark evenings of winter .

Front Row: Anna Wintour
Front Row: Anna Wintour
by Jerry Oppenheimer

2.0 out of 5 stars Name droppings, 20 Oct 2012
Actually I like Anna Wintour and her work in US Vogue. Her visual sense is great and she gets extremely interesting results out of her artists, whether photographers, art directors or fashion editors. Apparently she is neither nice nor emphatic. This book emphazises on her nasty sides and drops lots of famous names who mostly doesn't like AW. I guess many of them are as ego centered as AW and very filled up with their own ambitions and plans. Many of them have made good work for various publications under the aegis of AW, but probably feel pissed off because they didn't get enough credit. Might be AW is driven and snobbish but I would dearly like to read a biography that had her cooperating as well as an author who wasn't looking for the worst angle all the time (and wrote in a better style). In the beginning Oppenheimer asks: What drives her, what makes her tick? After reading 359 shallowly and boringly written text I'd still like to get an answer, what drives AW and what really makes her tick?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2013 12:06 PM BST

Dance Kinesiology
Dance Kinesiology
by Sally Sevey Fitt

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful for dance teachers, 2 Jan 2012
This review is from: Dance Kinesiology (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my daughter who is currently studying to become a teacher of classical ballet at DOCH in Stockholm/Sweden. She is thrilled with it and has termed it an extraordinary useful tool to understand the movements in ballet and dancing in general. Thus, on behalf of her, I do recommend this book for everyone interested in the correct use of the body in dancing, and especially in doing ballet.

Luella's Guide to English Style
Luella's Guide to English Style
by Luella Bartley

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful book, and the text is as good as the look!, 15 May 2011
This is a beautiful book, text and illustrations are as good as the package. I have been inspired by British style since my teenage years (a raving punk in 1977!) and this is by far the best guide for quirky and essential British style since the magazines 19 and the Face in the 80's. I really like Luella. Her knowledge and wit makes me want to become a British Bird when I turn 60 - and I really haven't that many years to go! Living in Scandinavia I have a very different standard to live up to, but I have decided to stay put to Luellas vision!

Page: 1 | 2