Profile for V. Berlin > Reviews

V. Berlin (London)

Page: 1 | 2
The Audition: Welcome to Rock War: A Free Sampler
The Audition: Welcome to Rock War: A Free Sampler

1.0 out of 5 stars ... teenage son but it's so ridiculous that it reads like a comedy, 27 Mar. 2015
I'd hoped this would grip my teenage son but it's so ridiculous that it reads like a comedy. And you know all that stereotyping they teach them at school NOT to do, well it seems like Robert Muchamore missed the assembly on that.

The Universe versus Alex Woods
The Universe versus Alex Woods
by Gavin Extence

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Mar. 2015
I've read this three times, and will read it again soon I imagine. Any chance of a sequel, Gavin?

Viking Myths: Stories of the Norse Gods and Goddesses
Viking Myths: Stories of the Norse Gods and Goddesses

5.0 out of 5 stars this is the best yet., 10 Oct. 2014
A fresh re-telling of the Norse myths with authenticity at its heart. I have read many translations of these myths; this is the best yet.

Stuff Matters: The Strange Stories of the Marvellous Materials that Shape Our Man-made World

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this book, 3 Jun. 2014
After searching for eons for a popular science book on this fascinating subject, we saw Mark Miodownik do a talk at the Royal Institution and saw that he had written a book. Now we need to wait for him to write another one.

Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - Blue (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ear amazers, 22 April 2014
These are just brilliant. They do what they're supposed to. I swam for about 10 laps without noticing my goggles had fogged over.

Super Scratch Programming Adventure! (Covers Version 1.4): Learn to Program By Making Cool Games
by The LEAD Project

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we needed, 14 Oct. 2012
This is an exciting book -- glossy, colourful, and clear instructions that children can easily understand. My son was so psyched that he gasped at the different chapters and I had to stop him from doing it all at once. It's expensive compared to the books we normally by, but worth every penny. More please!

Catcall
Catcall
by Linda Newbery

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise hit with my 9 and 10 year old boys, 29 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Catcall (Paperback)
My sons don't normally have patience with emotional dramas, or stories set in the everyday world, but this book is both of those things and it gripped them from start to finish. It is a beautifully written, subtle, realistic story of children experiencing change and anxiety and not knowing how to identify it or how to handle it. Interweaving with this narrative are excerpts from the main character's own homemade book, "The Book of Cats". As soon as I'd finished reading the novel out loud, both my sons were inspired to make their own book of cats, cutting out and sticking and writing a scrapbook each, so in this house Catcall has had an impact far beyond the last chapter.

Warriors Super Edition: Bluestar's Prophecy
Warriors Super Edition: Bluestar's Prophecy
by Erin Hunter

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 23 Nov. 2010
My 9 year old son loves the Warrior books and he thinks this is one of the best of the lot.

Maths for Mums and Dads
Maths for Mums and Dads
by Mike Askew

4.0 out of 5 stars The ESSENTIAL first step in getting to grips with primary maths, 23 Nov. 2010
When I first read this it empowered me to begin tackling maths with my 8 and 9 year olds, instead of just telling them to ask their teacher. It makes so much of the new maths teaching clear. This is very reassuring too because once you understand how maths is taught these days it makes you realise how much more practical these methods are than the methods we learned a few decades ago. Now I understand all this book has to teach, however, I am still not fully empowered to help my son -- for instance, info on methods for fractions seems scant. I am therefore now looking for a follow up book to give me deeper knowledge. However, if it weren't for this book and its friendly, informative and helpful approach, I would never have reached this stage of wanting or needing to know more.

The Big Book of Top Gear 2009
The Big Book of Top Gear 2009
by Top Gear

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious., 18 Dec. 2008
This is as funny as Monty Python. I've had it on my coffee table for the past week or so and everyone who visits picks it up and finds something to chuckle at. Somebody here has said it's not like the magazine, and I can heartily agree with that. We stopped subscribing to the magazine. This book is much more like the daft bits of the TV show all bound together, and then some. A brilliant accompaniment to one of the best shows on TV. Hilarious.

Page: 1 | 2