Profile for Miss Anne Thrope > Reviews

Content by Miss Anne Thrope

Miss Anne Thrope (Halfway between the gutter and the stars)

Page: 1 | 2
The Road to Serfdom (Routledge Classics)
The Road to Serfdom (Routledge Classics)
by Friedrich A. von Hayek

3.0 out of 5 stars A writing style that is painful to read., 14 Nov. 2014
I am trying to get through this, I really am. Hayek may be a great economist but he is certainly no writer. His sentence structure is all over the place! As a copywriter I find it almost unreadable. In fact, this is the sentence that made me throw down the book and give up:

"But which ends do so conflict, which will have to be sacrificed if we want to achieve certain others, in short, which are the alternatives between which we must choose, can only be known to those who know all the facts; and only they, the experts, are in a position to decide which of the different ends are to be given preference."

See what I mean? That sentence actually causes me physical pain. Awful! And the punctuation is nuts.

In addition, Hayek speaks wholly in the abstract. He provides no evidence or examples, which allows him to make huge leaps of logic. OK, I haven't read it all - I think my brain might die if I try - so maybe he adds some meat later. Anyhow, his assertions are undermined by his inability to write clearly. Sorry, but it's true.

Battery for Samsung R418 R420 R428 R429 R430 R458 R460 R462 R463 R463H R464 R465 R465H R466 R467 R468 R468H R469 R470 R470H R478 R480 R505 R507 R517 R518H R519 R520 R520H R522 R522H R580 R620 R718 R720 R780
Offered by Tech Global

2.0 out of 5 stars Buy a proper Samsung one, 23 Jun. 2014
Lappy now needs a new battery as this one is almost dead. Don't skimp; it's not worth it.

Dodecahedron moose

Puccini: Madama Butterfly
Puccini: Madama Butterfly

5.0 out of 5 stars Car-y-oke, 23 Jun. 2014
My mother loves this particular version. Anyway, she's now happily zooming round the countryside singing to this at the top of her voice and saying 'ooh, he's such a cad.' It's terrific - worth the extra for Pavarotti.

Bright Starts Comfort and Harmony Bouncer (Biscotti)
Bright Starts Comfort and Harmony Bouncer (Biscotti)

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish and useful, 22 Jun. 2014
So I bought this for my sister ,who had twins. I was hoping that she could put one of them in this and they would sleep for a bit, y'know, even the numbers out. Definitely has a calming effect.

She used it every day and my niece and nephew liked sitting in it until they were too big for the thing.

Domain
Domain
by James Herbert

4.0 out of 5 stars Rats + Nuclear war + aaaghh!, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Domain (Paperback)
So James Herbert is dead and I just had to write a review of my favourite of his novels. Like most people I read James Herbert as a teenager. My mom used to read him for some reason and when I picked up one of her books my interest quickly exceeded hers.

This is the third in the 'Rats' trilogy and by far the best. Dirty, disease-ridden, capable of eating pretty much anything and found in absolute hordes in cities, rats are well chosen as a source of primal fear (see room 101). Herbert's rats are huge, black and bloodthirsty. They suddenly start swarming in packs without fear of humans. That's scary, right? 'Rats' was a great, stripped down horror set in the schools, canals and poor areas of London. Lair was not really needed but Domain brought a whole new angle: What if there were a nuclear attack on London (aagh!) but then that gave the enormous black rats the perfect opportunity to take over the city (gaah!) and eat every survivor they came across? It's just so terrifying.

Like I said, I was a teenager and this is a horror genre so don't expect bleeding Proust, but he writes good prose and imagines scenes extremely vividly. And yes, he's probably the inspiration behind Garth Marenghi (please google this if you are confused - you won't be sorry), but I still remember the book more than 15 years later, which is pretty impressive.

Parents! Don't buy your kids freaking Twilight. If you want to scare them, buy them this book. Ok, it might be partially responsible for my recurring nightmares about nuclear war, but I think Threads takes a good share of the blame there too.

RIP Mr Herbert; thanks for the nightmares.

p.s. I remember my Auntie picking up one of the books, reading a bit of it, then confiscating it because it was full of graphic kinky sex(I was about 13). I don't remember what the book was, but it involved masturbation and a ghost.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Ah ha ha, domestic violence!, 2 Mar. 2013
Isn't domestic violence hilarious? Man, I miss the days of Jim Davidson and that other fat awful racist one, where you could make a joke out of punching a woman in the face. Ah, that was a good time to be female. I do miss the leering, pinching and condescension that came with every day life.

Now we have to put up with comedy that doesn't involve sexual violence or rely on crude stereotypes. I tell you, it's political correctness gone mad!

But if you think we've progressed since the seventies then you might want to take this down...or I'll punch you in the balls.

Cities of the Red Night (Picador Books)
Cities of the Red Night (Picador Books)
by William S. Burroughs

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange, sticky, tangled, 3 Feb. 2013
This was my first encounter with Burroughs and I was...erm...yeah.

I bought it after getting interested in the idea of gay pirates (there's a song about this - Google it). So the novel jumps off the idea of a world in which a group of pirates decide to give up looting and pillaging to settle down to create a place where everyone could be free and equal. This did sort of happen in reality but these Utopian colonies didn't last very long - I think they all died through invasion and disease. But what would our world look like if those societies had been successful and flourished? At least I think that's what it's about.

Well, this being a Burroughs novel, things are not straightforward. For a start, everyone practices magic (which actually works) and also there's some weird sexual disease on the rampage and...look, it's hard to explain what's going on but that doesn't make it bad.

There's a LOT of sex. Lots. And body fluids. Themes of sex, death and ritual feature heavily. Anyway, I think I like it but it's hard to say. Sort of leaves you wanting a shower. Certainly very evocative - you can smell and taste this novel.

Ew. I need to brush my teeth...

The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife
by Audrey Niffenegger

1.0 out of 5 stars Time travel doesn't make a dull story interesting, 3 Feb. 2013
"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd."

Bertrand Russell there - he's awesome.

Anyway, I picked this up on holiday many years after its release. It seemed that everyone had read it apart from me and, apparently, loved it. I had heard about the premise, which sounded really promising. How could you mess up with a premise like that? Well - spoilers - it seems you can.

Ok, so let's get down to why I disliked it. My main problem is that there is no style to this story whatsoever. The writing is tedious; it reads like a train timetable and I was quickly bored. The entire thing is just a non-sequential soap. Like this: "We met here and I made this for dinner. We ate it. He went away. I was sad." Agh,it was like being sat next to someone on a train talking to their boyfriend about what they're having for tea! I mean, how anyone was supposed to connect to these characters I don't know. They seemed dull and forgettable to me.

So I confess, I did not read the whole thing because I could feel my brain dying - and ok - I know that it's not right to review something that you haven't finished but, well...tough. I'm just thinking of your brain, which deserves better than this.

Such a shame really, because it could have been so good. She probably deserves two stars for the premise, but technically I didn't just dislike it; I actively hated it.

Maybe somewhere, in a parallel dimension, there's a terrific version of The Time Traveler's Wife...

Funk Soul Sisters
Funk Soul Sisters

5.0 out of 5 stars Eeeeeoooow!, 16 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Funk Soul Sisters (Audio CD)
To be honest I only bought this for Spanky Wilson's 'Sunshine of Your Love', which is nigh on impossible to find on vinyl unless you have lots of money. Totally worth buying whole album just for that.

However, thankfully, all of the songs on this album are amazing! Standouts (for me) include 'Tell me What's Wrong With the Men', 'Heavy Hangs Over My Heart', 'Hold on This Time' and 'My Heart Took A Licking...'

You won't be sorry you bought it.

Breaking Bad: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Breaking Bad: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Offered by A1tradingGB

5.0 out of 5 stars More addictive than meth!, 16 Aug. 2012
Honestly, I can't recommend this highly enough. Breaking bad is truly wonderful and I am completely addicted. But it's not just the compelling nature of the show that makes me love it; it's so much more than a good romp. First of all, it has a terrific premise. Add to that the IDEA, which is to turn a man from Mr Chips to Scarface. Aren't you intrigued already? Well that journey is as good as it sounds. You start of liking mild-mannered, put-upon Walter White and you enjoy him becoming a badass. But this is not a happy go lucky show. And you'll find yourself being challenged - how far will you follow the 'hero' into the darkness? Are you still OK with all this?

Jesse starts of as an immature, no-hoper drug addict-dealer. Let's just say he doesn't stay that way and that I'm a bit in love with him by season 4. Characters grow and change through the consequences of their actions - like real people!

Also, the cinematography is simply breathtaking, the acting is absolutely convincing, especially Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul, who have Emmys coming out of their ears now. Furthermore, the show has a definite end date, meaning it will NEVER jump the shark!

But be warned...once you have watched this many TV series and movies seem...unsatisfying. You'll even be having the conversation 'Is it better than The Wire?' (prepare for much disagreement!)

So start watching and find out how chemistry is very handy for crime, why acid is best contained in plastic, why magnets are great, what the space under your house is for and when to call Saul.

Page: 1 | 2