Profile for K. WALT > Reviews

Content by K. WALT

K. WALT "Kit" (Yorkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Pharmacy Technician's Little Black Book
The Pharmacy Technician's Little Black Book
by Cassandra D. Ellis

1.0 out of 5 stars Not useful for anyone., 31 July 2015
Not useful in the slightest. I bought this book knowing full well it would not be as useful to me as it would an American technician but I expected to find something useful in it anyway. After opening the book and seeing the eye sore that was the typesetting and layout (2.5 cm margins top, bottom, left and right (photo attached with the content covered)) I discovered it was nothing more than a book on common sense: quite like a book on how to be innovative in an admin role I have bought previously. It contains no index or glossary. The book contains 'tips' that tell you to be yourself in an interview, to accept criticism from the pharmacist and so on. FYI, if you cannot accept criticism from a pharmacist then train to be one or leave the profession. If you work under a registered professional and are a qualified technician like the book assumes then you answer to the pharmacist and have done for a while and should respect them for what they have achieved.

Avoid typos and bad grammar the author says! She has capitalised random nouns (like 'pharmacy technician' and 'pharmacy technology') for no apparent reason throughout the book and made it blatantly obvious no professional proofreading has gone into this publication which makes it very difficult to read.

She talks about her career a lot, to no end and it does not offer any help to the person reading it. Not much of it is specific to pharmacy. It is just a printed book of lectures about being yourself in an interview, first impressions count, how employers value training (well, yes...) and a list of legislation and URLs.

The author has made terrible use of space and wasted paper. It is not easy to read and the content is actually not worth reading for any technician no matter what the geographical location. I give it one star because I cannot give it less and I do quite like the cover and the list of abbreviations at the back. Otherwise, completely useless and overpriced.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Illustrated Dictionary of Health and Social Care
Illustrated Dictionary of Health and Social Care
by Yvonne Nolan

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful book, 31 July 2015
An absolutely invaluable book whether you are a PROFESSIONAL, student professional or work in care. I read a review of this recently that appeared to patronise the book (if at all possible) and anyone who buys it - they seemed to be limiting the book's usefulness to people studying NVQs. As a previous healthcare student (student occupational therapist) and support worker I found this book really helpful. It was thorough and easy on the eye: the type of dictionary you can read cover to cover because it breaks apart the definitions with pictures and diagrams and the book is set out wonderfully. I recommend it.

The Innovative Admin
The Innovative Admin
by Julie Perrine

2.0 out of 5 stars Useless, 31 July 2015
This review is from: The Innovative Admin (Paperback)
Not a massive fan of this book. It should really be called 'The Common Sense Admin' because it is quite literally a book of common sense things admin staff should be doing anyway. I was expecting a list of generic (and maybe some sector-specific) tasks that admin staff do with tips, tricks and hacks on how to do them efficiently (like, 'Ahhh, I never thought of that!' or, 'Ooohh, that's a good resource I never knew about') and to a good standard to make myself an almost-irreplaceable secretary/PA. This book didn't deliver. Chapters include getting into the right mindset, encouraging you to change your office space, start journaling... I do mindfulness, yoga and I journal already. I have a bullet journal and I scrapbook. Believe it or not, there's a chapter on how one needs to 'Tackle Technology'... There are not many admin staff left who learned to type on typewriters and are still beavering away in a corner clunking away at the keys. (Wonderful inventions, might I add.) Most admin staff are quite proficient with technology due to the RSA/OCR qualifications that are mandatory in most admin jobs. Not a useful book at all.

Medical Teeline
Medical Teeline
by Pat Garner

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 31 July 2015
This review is from: Medical Teeline (Paperback)
Very useful, starts on the basis that you are already familiar with basic Teeline and introduces medical terminology from the off. Great for healthcare and medical professionals wanting to take their own notes really fast and medical secretaries.

Bob Harper Kettlebell: Cardio Shred
Bob Harper Kettlebell: Cardio Shred
Dvd ~ Bob Harper
Offered by Watch It Now UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners and already-fit people!, 29 Dec. 2013
I warn you - even the reasonably fit will FEEL THE BURN after 20 minutes of this.

Before I launch into my kettlebell life story, I highly suggest you buy a vinyl covered steel kettlebell. When turned to the side they are narrow. The other kind are plastic and filled with sand (I believe) and are very round. You will have SERIOUS trouble passing the plastic round ones through your legs when you lunge. You will clip your ankles, your knees will give and you will kiss the floor.

I lived in a small maisonette with my husband and dog when I bought this so it went unused for a few months due to lack of space. You do not need a great deal of space but I really didn't have much. I moved to a house and still had limited space but more of it and I do this workout on an exercise mat in the bedroom. On a scale of 1-10 my fitness levels before ever starting this workout were about 7/10. Before this, I did VERY mild kettlebell with a 6kg sand-filled kettlebell for strength. I used this same kettlebell for this workout the first time - big mistake. When you add cardio to weight lifting it just blasts every kj of energy in your body. Within hours everything was burning and aching and for three days I had to lean on my husband so I could get down the stairs. It was not lack-of-warm-up-and-unfit pain: it was after exercise soreness and awakening muscles I do not normally push to the limit. It felt good but I dreaded sitting on the loo. You will FEEL this workout working. On top of this, I only did 25 minutes of this workout (half of it) before stopping. My round 6kg really limited me to what exercises I could do because I could not really do any of the windmill-based exercises as the bell rolled around my wrist and was at risk of landing on my head. I also could not pass it through my legs when lunging. I downsized to a 4kg steel kettlebell and the workout was slightly easier (so I did more reps) but I could do the exercises I missed out on before. When this workout becomes easier for you, upgrade the weight of the kettlebell.

This DVD gets straight to the point. The warm up is not a drag (5 mins) and really warms you up and gets the heart rate going. Workout is about an hour long. Instructions are always clear and Bob himself does some of the moves but spends time explaining things. When he is not doing the movements with you, his assistant/partner who goes by the name of Becky is doing them - so you are never without demonstration.

If you do even 30 mins of this workout three times a week and tone down on unhealthy eating habits you will see a difference in a fortnight. Best DVD out there. Drink loads of water.

Exposed:Misbehaving with the Magnate (Mills & Boon) (Modern Heat)
Exposed:Misbehaving with the Magnate (Mills & Boon) (Modern Heat)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 21 Mar. 2012
I disagree very much with the reviews before mine - this is the best thing I have read in a while. I study creative writing so I am constantly delving into multiple genres and I decided to see what the hype was about regarding Mills and Boon. The name is popular but I had no idea what their stories were about other than farfetched romance. This book did not disappoint and it was VERY funny and arousing. I believe the main characters' story was very much the focus of the plot, not Gabrielle's abusive mother.

I find it very hard to get into a book if it is constantly about sex and people's overpowering feelings. This book had a very believable back story of Gabrielle being banished to Australia with her brother, Rafe, after Gabrielle was caught perched on Luc Duvalier's lap aged sixteen and twenty-two respectively (I think). She comes home following some news about her mother, the live-in housekeeper of Luc Duvalier and his recently passed father, and she comes face to face with Luc after their last meeting was her being dragged kicking and screaming to Australia. She comes back a successful woman wanting to be treated like one, and she is. It was fantastic to fantasise about a glorious life in France.

One thing that kind of irritated me was why Gabrielle was holding herself back. She was a grown adult with a successful business and her and Luc were holding themselves away from each other. It is clear they had not stopped thinking about each other and they cannot restrain themselves in each other's presence. Both of them are single. So what was the problem? Turns out Gabrielle felt her daughter-of-a-housekeeper status was not enough for Luc Duvalier who lives in a castle and runs the family empire because of his late father's passing. Not much of a conflict if you ask me.

The settings were described MORE than adequately, if not a little over the top sometimes.

I recommend this book. It is easy to get through.

Trainspotting
Trainspotting
by Irvine Welsh

4.0 out of 5 stars Experience it without experiencing it., 15 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Trainspotting (Paperback)
I was referred to this book by a friend. I was not all for it at first but I gave it a shot. It is a great book, full of realistic experiences about drug use and absolutely NO DETAIL of any experience is left out. Anything and everything is addressed in this book. Underage sex, (accidental) paedophilia, cot death, drugs and theft. The one thing I cannot vouch for the experience of drugs. Not even for weed. I have never gone near the stuff and never will, but from cross referencing what I have read on drug experiences, this pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Two issues with this book are:

1. The Sean Connery impressions that spanned over a good few pages. They're annoying, beyond annoying.

2. Welsh has done well and I am no one to question his writing ability, but from the amount of writing advice I read about for my own short stories a golden rule is never to include irrelevant information. For example if the main character buys a giraffe for their back garden, you expect this to be relevant and addressed in the story at some point; otherwise you are left wondering about the giraffe, no? The bit on Nina at the beginning and her dead Uncle? What on earth was it for? Word count? The story only returned to Nina at Billy's funeral right at the end and she spoke about three lines then she was gone. It did not seem relevant at all to include her anguish at her surprising menstrual cycle and changing into her Aunt's knickers whilst her Uncle lie dead.

I few tips for those who struggle:

Ken - Know/knows
Kent - Knew
Bairn - Child, baby
Ay - Of

If you are not well acquainted with fiction then please make yourself so. This book lacks dialogue punctuation, only indicated when a person speaks with a dash -. There is no indicator or when a person stops speaking except a comma. Example:

- Get over here, he said

instead of:

'Get over here,' he said.

Well worth it.

The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face, Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask
by Edie Eckman

5.0 out of 5 stars So much easier with this book!, 15 Jun. 2011
A lot of ways to learn crochet (i.e. online videos) are done by people who are not English. English and American crochet terminology are different but this book addresses both. Americans label hook sizes in letters, whereas we do them in mm. A single crochet in America is abbreviated as 'sc' but we call single crochets, double crochets and abbreviate it to 'dc'.

I do not address this book as much as I should. Instead I stress out and bombard forums with my woes. This book has pretty much covered every problem I have come across. It really does what it says on the tin. A very handy size as well and the same book available for knitting issues too.

If you find that your pieces are not square when they should be or straight etc then this book has the answers. Worth every single penny. It goes into depth about what yarns are used with what hook. How to deal with troublesome yarn, slippery yarn, splitting yarn, you name it. It shows you how to hold the hook, where to insert the hook and so on.

300 pages of answers. I am sure your dilemma has been covered!

Driving Test Success All Tests 2011 Edition (PC)
Driving Test Success All Tests 2011 Edition (PC)
Offered by NextDayEntertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from someone who passed twice!, 15 April 2011
This is amazing, it is all you will ever need. It monitors your progress over time every time you take a mock test and displays it with a graph. A word of warning also, this is all of the three discs in one (theory, hazard and practical test), each disc separately costs £5.99. It is a no brainer. Anyway I passed first time with 49/50 for my car theory test, these were for the THEORY only questions. I passed the hazard perception of the same test just barely getting smack bang on the pass mark. I never would have passed if I didn't have this disc. I got home from college and revised the road markings then took two mock tests every other day for the three remaining weeks up until my theory test.
Due to funding I had to stop my lessons and and my test cert ran out (took it in 2007); last September I bought the updated version of this to revise for my motorcycle theory test and passed again first time with 46/50.

The hazard perception doesn't take brains, some overly conscious people will click everywhere. Some will think small things that are hazards actually aren't. You need this disc. You may spot a hazard but get no points because you spotted it late. When I first took the hazard perception I wondered how hard it could actually be, until I got about 15 points out of the possible 50-something. I was gobsmacked, it seemed like everything as simple as a little girl even glancing at the patch of road in front of the car is a hazard (slight melodrama). The content shows you when the hazard starts to develop and clearly shows you when you should have clicked in order to get the full five points for that clip. It includes a big range of clips, most containing one hazard, some containing two. The theory questions also speak the question to you if you click them, in case you have trouble reading them. Multiple users can also use the same disc and store their progress without interfering with other users, you can also password protect each person's profile.

I have to take my car theory test again next month and I will be using this software again for the third time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 26, 2011 11:05 AM BST

Motor Vehicle Technology for Mechanics (Motivate)
Motor Vehicle Technology for Mechanics (Motivate)
by P.P.J. Read

5.0 out of 5 stars Lighter but informative reading as opposed to others, 3 April 2011
This book is mostly suited to students studying level 1 or level 2 courses at college. Level 1 being the basics and level 2 being what components are, how they work and where they are in order to remove and refit correctly. This is not a suitable book to learn about diagnosis (level 3). Compared to other popular fundamentals of vehicle technology books this is much lighter reading and put more simply. I use it when I want to brush up and do some lazy revision and don't want to think too much or have to reread sentences in order to understand what the writer is talking about. The colour images are easy to take in and remember.

This book covers the principles of

Basic health and safety
Cooling systems
Brakes
Wheels
Electrical principles

It also has progress checks/revision questions at the ends of sections which aren't too demanding. It is a perfect book for level 1 and 2 light revision. Scattered throughout the book, usually below the titles of new sections or components, there is a brief overview or tip of the section to follow.

Page: 1 | 2