Profile for missconstrued > Reviews

Content by missconstrued

"missconstrued"

Phantom of the Opera [Selected Highlights]
Phantom of the Opera [Selected Highlights]

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but I would recommend the 2-disc version instead, 11 May 2005
The title of this review pretty much sums up my opinion. The music on this CD is undoubtedly brilliant, and I feel that the film version adds an emotional depth to the score and story that wasn't quite so powerfully present in the show version. Michael Crawford was (and is, I suppose) a brilliant singer, but Gerard Butler portrays his character's emotions through his voice and brings the Phantom to life brilliantly- almsot too brilliantly, as I find myself crying every time I listen to this CD. For this reason, I find this version much more enjoyable to listen to than the show version (I admit I own both!) However I would recommend that, if you plan on buying the film soundtrack, you opt fot the 2-disc version over the single disc, as, for only a couple more quid, you get so much more material in the 2-disc edition which brings the depth and range of the score across far more successfully than this one, which is more like a CD of highlights (although in my opinion it leaves out some of the best stuff, for example Wandering Child, which I absolutely adore, and Stranger Than You Dreamt It, which is so amazing, brilliant, emotional and sad that I can't believe they left it out! Both of these only appear on the 2-disc version, which is reason enough to choose it over this one.) Plus, the 2-disc version contains absolutely gorgeous pictures and information in a presentation booklet... :D I would strongly recommend buying the soundtrack- in fact, you're nuts if you don't- but the 2-disc version is, in my opinion, a better, more in-depth listen, and much better value for money when it's only marginally more expensive than the skimpy single disc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2012 1:51 PM GMT

Secret Window [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Secret Window [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by AbundaTrade

5.0 out of 5 stars Secret Window, 26 July 2004
OK so there have been a lot of bad reviews about this film but don't listen to them because it's great! Johnny Depp is excellent in it, as is that creepy stalker guy (forgotten his name.) The twist at the end I thought was great and all in all I came away thinking what a good movie it was. At any rate you should watch it to make up your own mind about it. I would recommend it.

Sleepy Hollow [DVD] [2000]
Sleepy Hollow [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Johnny Depp
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Sleepy Hollow is great!, 26 July 2004
This review is from: Sleepy Hollow [DVD] [2000] (DVD)
I originally only bought this film because it starred Johnny Depp as the main character, Ichabod Crane, but upon watching it I found that it is an absolutely fantastic, atmospheric whodunnit with plenty of heads coming off. I watched it with my friends at about 3am- a good time to watch it as it adds to the mood- and it really kept us guessing, as well as keeping us riveted to the screen and not just because of Johnny Depp. I would really recommend it- and if you're going to watch it, keep an eye out for the best bit- Johnny Depp being hit on the head by a flaming pumpkin! (He faints 5 times in the film, and the girl faints twice, which is rather hilarious.)

The Book of Dead Days
The Book of Dead Days
by Marcus Sedgwick

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book of Dead Days!, 24 July 2004
This review is from: The Book of Dead Days (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Like all the other reviewers I also bought it because of its beautiful front cover, however the contents were just as good! I found it really atmospheric and the writing style was great- it seemed to draw you in effortlessly. I do agree that the ending was a bit of an anticlimax, but I'm hoping that will be resolved in the sequel. All in all, this is a fantastic book: go and read it!!!

The Dark
The Dark
by Marianne Curley

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book EVER!!!, 23 July 2004
This review is from: The Dark (Paperback)
It's a shame I can only give this book 5 stars, I'd award it more if only i could. It's absolutely brilliant. It takes up the story where the Named left off and is just as exciting and absorbing. It is written through the viewpoints of Arkarian and Isobel and follows Isobel's journey with Ethan and Matt to rescue Arkarian from the Goddess of Chaos and Marduke, who are doing all kinds of nasty things to him (how mean). It's such a compelling read that I was up till midnight trying to finish it after buying it that afternoon- it was absolutely impossible to put it down. It's an amazing book and I'd recommend it to anyone, anywhere- go and buy it NOW!

The Juniper Game (Point)
The Juniper Game (Point)
by Sherryl Jordan

4.0 out of 5 stars The Juniper Game, 23 July 2004
I borrowed this book from a friend and read it in a day. It was practically impossible to put down. The writing style really gets you interested and holds your attention all the way through, and the plot is absorbing and brought to life by the characters. I wish this book was still in print in the UK, it's a really good read and I would recommend it to anyone, particularly those who have enjoyed Sherryl Jordan's other books.

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Other Boleyn Girl
by Philippa Gregory

4.0 out of 5 stars the other boleyn girl, 18 Feb. 2004
This review is from: The Other Boleyn Girl (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, it was very readable and believable, though I have heard that Phillipa Gregory uses her artistic licence to the full and it's not all accurate to history. If you take it with a pinch of salt though it is a very good, riveting read that will really transport you back in time to the tudor court, and also probably make you glad that we don't have kings like Henry VIII anymore!