Profile for The Ripe Banana > Reviews

Torch Rear Tail Bright 3 LED Light
Offered by bikes4life limited
Price: 4.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 20 May 2013
Works very well, easy to attach, long battery life.

It has a clip on it so that it can attach to a bag strap instead, which I find very useful.

Photon I White
Photon I White

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect, 20 Jun 2010
This review is from: Photon I White (Electronics)
If you're looking for a keyring torch, then this is the one you want.
-It's very durable: I've had mine forever
-It's very unobtrusive: not at all bulky, I keep my keys in my back pocket and sit on them
-It's easily operated with just one hand: if you're holding something in one hand then you can get it out and squeeze it to turn it on with no hassle.

York 15kg Chrome Dumbbell Set and Case
York 15kg Chrome Dumbbell Set and Case
Price: 36.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Jun 2009
I was really impressed when I opened the box, the weights are really good quality. They look nice and are a pleasure to use.
The rubber handgrips are good, and the spinlock mechanism has a rubber bit on which holds the weights in place. I was very pleased - I would've gone for the similarly priced 20kg set but the mentions of smelly ugly black paint put me off. I think that the quality of this set makes it worth it, although I haven't seen the other set so I can't compare.

The carry case is also good. It seems robust and has cardboard rings to put between the plates to stop them rubbing together, even though they seem very durable. It's not flashy, but it's ideal for transporting them around or storing any plates you're not using. I wouldn't want the weights able to move freely if they were in a car.

The poster has some exercises using the weights for different muscles, as well as methods of working out (e.g. number of repetitions & sets) and warming up, which I found useful. I could probably have found similar stuff on the internet though.

The bar is quite long which means other weights can easily be added. Using the weights given in the set you can get up to 12.5kg on one bar, which is lots for anyone but a total beast. You could use this to train one arm while the other arm rests and then swap.

Although theoretically additional weight plates can be bought, they're expensive and you have to pay for postage and packaging which I think makes it impractical.

I think this weight set is an absolute bargain at both this weight and this quality, and would strongly recommend it to anyone.

If you don't know how heavy weights you need, then it'd be worthwhile going to somewhere that sells weights just to try them out.

Everlast Xtra Strength Hand Grips
Everlast Xtra Strength Hand Grips
Price: 8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars overall, good, 10 May 2009
What these handgrips do is show why all the other handgrips have padding. Along with developing my grip strength I've developed some decent callouses on my fingers. Other than that they're great. Word of advice though: just a tiny bit of lubricant (WD40) will stop them squeaking like rusty bedsprings with every repetition. (I've used it once and not had to re-apply yet after about 2 months)

edit:
The other day I found another brand of handgrips, compared to mine they were small and needed about half as much strength to squeeze. If you're looking for some more powerful handgrips then I'd say these must be among the strongest.

Also, my callouses are a bit older now and have faded significantly. If you weren't looking for them then you wouldn't know they were there.