ARRAY(0xa00c963c)

Profile for M. E. Pike > Reviews

Content by M. E. Pike

M. E. Pike "starfishuk" (Kent)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Frontline, Frontline Cat Spot On 3 Pack
Frontline, Frontline Cat Spot On 3 Pack
Offered by Animal Dispensaries

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my cat, 17 Sep 2010
Two years ago my ginger tabby cat got fleas. We'd been using Bob Martin Spot On which we thought would be cheap but effective. We were sadly wrong. Within days of noticing her fleas our house was infested and she became very sick. Following a rather heafty vet bill due to her becoming very anemic(foolishly uninsured at the time due to redundancy) and a recommendation of "only ever use Frontline" from our vet I can say that this product did indeed rid our little Roxy of her fleas - you could literally see them falling off her onto after treatment. Treatment of our house followed and two years later we are still flea free and have a happy puss cat. Can't rate this stuff highly enough, it's worth forking out that little bit more because it really is very effective.

NOTE: This version of Frontline will only treat the fleas on your cat. You need to buy Frontline Combo which will treat not only the cat but the environment in which the cats lives. So far as I can see this isn't available yet on Amazon but plenty of online vet stores sell it for much cheaper than you would pay at the actual vets (managed to buy a 3 pack for £13.99).

UPDATE: After two plus years of a flea free house this mont (October) I spotted a flea on my arm whilst using the PC. A day later my husband found one on his foot in bed. We had only recently used Frontline which was a bit worrying but a friend informs me that around the time one starts firing up the central heating is the perfect time for flea breeding. I honestly didn't think they would breed in the winter months but that's just naivety on my part. I do still rate Frontline 100% but to be on the safe side I will now start using Frontline Combo once every six months (with Frontline once a month as directed in between) and investing once a year in a can of Indorex spray (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indorex-House-Flea-Spray-500ml/dp/B003SZ42EO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288133013&sr=1-1) to cover the house. Yes it adds to the bill but I've learnt the hard way that it's worth it. Just my advice however, perhaps I'm over cautious.

ABC Products® Replacement Pentax USB Cable Cord Lead (For Image Transfer) for Most Optio Digital Camera (Models Stated Below)
Offered by abcproducts

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick Delivery, 17 Sep 2010
There's not much you can say about a camera cable because it pretty much just has one job to do but it does it well. Fits my camera type and delivery was very quick and packaged safely with no damage done.

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (Wii)
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension (Wii)
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned fun, 16 Sep 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
OK, I'm aware that you can't really call any Mario game 'old fashioned' as such but playing this really took me back. Since I bought a Wii I've been disappointed with the Mario games available not quite liking the graphics of the new style adopted in Mario Galaxy and preferring the humble 2D versions like I used to play on my brother's SNS or my own handheld. This game takes me back. If I honestly thought about it, ok it's probably not the best, it's rather repetitive and my husband was bored after level 2 and retreated to play on his PC but I love the simplicity of it and think it's a great game for all ages. There is the added fun factor of using the Wii remote to 'shake' Wario but this gets old pretty fast. The graphics however are amazing, very cartoony and bright and clear.

The main menu page is split up into areas and you are presented with a map screen which by completing each level successfully allows you to travel through the map and one by one defeat the bosses. At the end of each level you have the chance to go back in and search for gold or treasures you may have missed.

Great fun for those wanting something classic.

Island
Island
by Richard Laymon

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Pulp, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: Island (Paperback)
Is it fair to call this pulp fiction? I would certainly class it as that. Read this in about 2 days whilst away on holiday. The story runs along at a breakneck speed and takes some quite interesting twists and turns along the way. This is the third Richard Laymon book I've read and I always struggle a few months after reading his books to remember exactly what the characters were like and about a year after the story has gone completely but that's not to say the books aren't enjoyable whilst I'm reading them even if they don't leave a lasting impression. If you are in the mood for bloody horror and want an author who won't pull any punches and make his characters completely likeable then Richard Laymon is a good bet.

The story itself is centered around a young man who is holidaying with his girlfriend and her family on an island when their yacht blows up and somebody starts picking family members off one by one. The book very quickly become less of a whodunit and more of a thriller as we follow the action as it's written in our protagonist's journal. Saying any more would give too much away but the style of writing is very easy and I found myself saying 'just one more chapter' late into the night.

Shit My Dad Says
Shit My Dad Says
by Justin Halpern

4.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining, 16 Sep 2010
This review is from: Shit My Dad Says (Paperback)
Being more of a Facebook girl I missed out on the buzz surrounding this on Twitter - it was only catching an article in Metro on the way to work and later hearing someone laughing out loud on the tube whilst reading it did I decide to buy it and I'm sure glad I did. I was completely charmed by Justin's dad and his straight talking attitude towards his kids. I found myself many times wishes I could have someone like him in my life, someone to tell it like it is, cut out all the bull and ultimately make me laugh. Justin's dad I salute you.

The book itself is broken down into chapters each telling a anecdote from Justin's childhood and later his teenage years. I must admit it did start to get a bit samey towards the end and the laugh out loud moments started to lessen but the end of the story is really quite poignant and I finished this book with a warm fuzzy feeling.

The Little Mermaid (Illustrated Classics)
The Little Mermaid (Illustrated Classics)
by Hans Christian Andersen

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful story, 16 Sep 2010
If, as I did, you want to buy a book that you can keep for years and pass down to your children then I highly recommend this version. The illustrations are beautiful with a dreamy quality and the book itself screams quality with nice thick pages and a strong hardback cover. It's a very large book also and the text is a nice size, perfect for reading aloud with your young ones or reliving your childhood. The tale itself is a classic and needs no explanation and as most will know it's got a very different ending to the famous Disney version and although its sad it's also very poignant. Highly recommended.

The Book of Lost Things
The Book of Lost Things
by John Connolly

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best, 16 Sep 2010
I loved this book. That doesn't seem a strong enough statement somehow. This book is in my top 5 ever and I'm an avid reader. It's a beautiful fairytale for grown ups full of magic and mystery. The story follows a young boy whose father has remarried and had a baby with his new wife and how this young boy deals with the loss of his beloved mother and jealousy towards his new step-brother. What follows is a beautiful tale of adventure and acceptance as the boy's stepbrother is stolen away by a mysterious figure and his journey to rescue him. I really don't want to give too much away but I highly suggest you read it. A perfect book to curl up with on a winters day with plenty of hot chocolate.

Kitchen Craft 2 L Le'Xpress Whistling Kettle, Black
Kitchen Craft 2 L Le'Xpress Whistling Kettle, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes me back, 16 Sep 2010
My Nan had a whistling kettle when I was a little girl and I don't know why I've waited so long to buy my own.

The kettle itself is pretty basic. Large, sturdy and capacity to hold lots of water. The high gloss surface can be a bit of a magnet for sticky finger prints however and I guess it's not the kind of kettle you would buy if you want a quick cup of coffee before you rush out of the door to work, it's rather slow. If this isn't an issue for you however, then I really can't fault it.

I love hearing the whistle sound signalling tea time whilst out in the garden. My cats however are less impressed and it's up there with the hoover in the 'scary noise' stakes.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars No more mess! (much less at least), 16 Sep 2010
Having 3 cats I was finding myself spending a good quantity of my time on the upkeep of their toilet tray (they refuse to go outside much to my chagrin). The standard trays available in most pet stores, yes even the larger trays, just didn't cut it with my lot who seem to take joy in kicking large quantities of litter onto my floor and the occasional mishap where they miss the tray altogether whilst doing their business.

After a bit of searching I found this, yes it's a bit pricey but it's certainly robust and warning.... it's big, very BIG! The cats still manage to get a bit of litter over the sides but compared to what it was like before it's a dream and the tray is so deep that there's no chance of them missing the target. Highly recommended if you don't mind a litter tray that's very deep and takes up quite a large amount of room. I imagine it will last me a lot longer than the standard size ones.

It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken: The Smart Girl's Breakup Buddy
It's Called a Breakup Because It's Broken: The Smart Girl's Breakup Buddy
by Greg Behrendt

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 16 July 2007
About 2 years ago I split from my boyfriend of 7 years. When I say split I mean he walked out on me to move in with a girl 11 years younger than me. Despite the fact he'd been a pretty horrid boyfriend I desperately wanted him back. On the advice of someone who was as she put it "on the outside looking in" I decided to buy this book and I am so glad I did. I'm not saying that without this book things would have turned out differently but I am saying that this book kept me strong, made me realise I did deserve better and never to accept anything less that that.

The book is split up into chapters and there's something in there for everyone, no matter what the circumstances of the relationship/break up are. The authors are straight talking and don't pull any punches with their advice - but this is what's so brilliant because you can't get offended by their advice like you would had a close friend just said it. At the end of each chapter is a `true life' account of different women and how they handled their break ups... in the worst possible way. These little stories are designed to and did indeed have me laughing out loud (something I desperately needed to do) and made me see what others are capable of when the red mist comes down. Personally this book helped me not to become `that crazy ex' and leave with dignity.

I would recommend this book to anyone who's just had their heart broken and even those who had their heart broken months, years ago but still find themselves holding on. It may look cheesy, it may be written by Americans but it helps. Take a chance and buy it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3