Profile for ladymac > Reviews

Blue Thunder: The Jock Wallace Story
Blue Thunder: The Jock Wallace Story
by Jeff Holmes

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 6 May 2014
I bought this for my dad, and he loved it so much I ended up reading it too. The book is descriptive and enthralling. A great tribute to a giant of the game. A must for football fans everywhere as Jock rubbed shoulders with so many legends.

Tomorrow You Die: The Astonishing Survival Story of a Second World War Prisoner of the Japanese
by Andy Coogan

5.0 out of 5 stars so powerful, 30 Sept. 2012
This has to be one of the most powerful stories of human endurance I have ever encountered. How this incredible man survived the horrific tortures he faced on a daily basis to tell his story is simply a credit to his inner strength of character. How would any one of us could go on when told "tomorrow you die!" . Packed full of detail and absorbing drama, this searing account brings history uncomfortably alive for those of us lucky enough not to have encountered such horror in our lives. Andy's story should be used to bring the true horror of war alive for school history lessons. A must read!!!

Storming The Falklands: My War and After
Storming The Falklands: My War and After

5.0 out of 5 stars unmissable, 21 Mar. 2012
War books tend to be about conflicts from another generation- but this is an inspiring story of a man drawn into a conflict of our time. Particularly interesting given the current situation over the Falklands and Argentina.
Tony Banks gave a frank and searing insight into war, and I particularly loved the section of the book where he seeks out his former enemy.
I'd like to see this as a tv drama. The twists and turns pull you in and the narrative is so dramatic you can lose your eyes and feel you are standing in his shoes. His own conflict long after the war shows no-one escapes their past. For me, he became a true hero when he talked about this aspect of his life. Deeply moving and a first class read.

Black Watch: Liberating Europe and Catching Himmler - My Extraordinary WW2 with the Highland Division
by Tom Renouf

5.0 out of 5 stars could not put it down, 7 Jun. 2011
This book is a real page turner, and I just could not put it down as I read about Tom's incredible life. The writing style is so gripping and the subject so fascinating, it pulls you right in to the heart of the story. Filled with wonderful anecdotes and deeply moving accounts, this is one of the most insightful books I have ever read about WW2. Anyone who is interested in or studying this period of our history should read Tom's story. Wonderful, simply wonderful.

The Forgotten Highlander: My Incredible Story of Survival During the War in the Far East
by Alistair Urquhart

5.0 out of 5 stars incredibly moving, 7 Jun. 2011
This is one of the most moving and insightful books I've ever read, and a true testament to the human spirit. Alistair's story is a must for young people who need to learn of the suffering of so many incredibly brave men who fought to ensure that we are all free to live our lives. After reading his breathtaking account, I would love to meet this amazing gentleman. I believe he has a lot to teach each and every one of us. A film must be made about his life. Heroes like him do not come along every day. The writing makes you feel every part of his incredible journey and stays with you long after you put the book down.

No More Silence: He thought he'd got away with it. But one day little David would find the strength to speak out.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational, 27 Nov. 2010
This really is one of the most inspirational books I've ever read. A real 'Angela's Ashes' for the modern day. David Whelan overcame such horror in his life, yet was able able to help so many others really is a testament to the human spirit. I found this book a real pager turner. It zipped along so fast, I couldn't put it down. Loved it, loved it, loved it!