Profile for R. Birkett > Reviews

Content by R. Birkett

R. Birkett "Diva's Forever" (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
1 fille & 4 types
1 fille & 4 types
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

5.0 out of 5 stars Emotion & Masculine Influence Replace Diva., 20 Mar. 2010
This review is from: 1 fille & 4 types (Audio CD)
The 2003 French language album by Celine Dion 1 file & 4 Types (1 Girl & 4 Guys) her 21st French album and 30th in total. On this album Celine worked with 3 established French writers/composers and an artistic director, Jacques Veneruso, Erick Benzi, Gildas Arzel and Jean-Jacques Goldman, they accompany Celine through the whole album, both instrumentally and on some tracks vocally.
The album features three covers "Tu nages" - originally by Anggun (2000), "Retiens-moi" - by Nanette Workman (1996), and "Rien N'est Vraiment fini" - by Leyla Doriane (2000).

I must start by saying I love it, the songs are brilliant and I play it very often. Its no surprise that the album was met with positive reviews. However I didn't agree some parts of the albums ALLmusic review which said ''gone are the majority of the near-patented diva hysterics and howls and arriving in their place is a voice that values dynamics over acrobatics'' I feel this statement is a personal opinion and expressed as a distaste to Celine's trademark vocals which I happen to like. There are some moments on the album when Celine does use those vocals as in 'Ne Bouge Pas' (Not moving) - just before that wicked guitar solo, Je T'aime Encore (I love You still) - powerful vocals during the climax and 'Des milliers de baisers' (A thousand kisses) - at the end.
Later in the review when it said ''The band is stripped down (comparatively) to its bare essentials...taking Dion into relatively unfamiliar territories such as country-pop and folk'' i do agree with this statement as the overall sound of the album is very organic, emotional and very down to earth, the reason for this is because of its heavily masculine influence.

Highlights for me personally on the album was the fantastic pop/rock opener 'Tout l'or Des Hommes'(All the men's gold) written by Jacques Veneruso, the video for which was directed by Yannick Saillet, was shot in May 2003 in the Mojave Desert and released in October 2003. Quite rightly it spent eight weeks at number one on the Quebec singles chart, certified silver in France for selling 125,000 and became the highest charting French-language single on the Canadian Singles Chart ever, peaking at number 2. Le vol d'un Ange' (the flight of an angel) is a beautiful, soft emotional ballad with a great meledy and beautiful word phasing, then theres your rocking 'Ne Bouge Pas'(Not moving), another ballad Je T'aime Encore' (I love you still) again beautiful and with powerful vocals for the climax of the song, Retiens-moi (Hold me) a warm
Smooth, mid-tempo song, `Mon Homme' (My man) very romantic and calm song with wonderful vocals and a nice build up, Rien N'est Vraiment Fini' (Nothing is really over) an intense mid-tempo song, again with both a beautiful medley, build up and vocals, Contre Nature' (against nature) great base line, catchy vocals, but its the guitar solo I love on that track and finally 'Des Millers Des Baisers' (A thousand kisses) I love the darkness on this track and the mystery and it almost most certainly works with the male vocals and a great conclusion to the album, there is also a hidden track on the album after 'Des Milliers Des Baisers' where its just Celine and the 'guys' harmonising with an acoustic guitar accompanying there singing on a demo like recording, I couldn't think of a better finisher to this wonderful quality album.

I want to finish by saying that its a real shame foreign language music isn't sold commercially (in shops) in the UK that because of the 'language barrier' all foreign language music is ignored, and I think its sad that we overlook such great music.

I Am ... Sasha Fierce: Platinum Edition
I Am ... Sasha Fierce: Platinum Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am...Sasha Fierce Platinum Edition., 19 Nov. 2009
The third enhanced issue of Beyonce's hit album 'I Am... Sasha Fierce, the Platinum Edition' is released, the extras not on the previous two issues include 3 new songs - 'Why Don't You Love Me', 'Honesty' and 'Save The Hero'. Also there is a second DVD disk containing 8 music videos and 20 minutes of behind the scenes footage.

If you think the album is great like i do, then you'll surly love this, OK arguably a cash in, but unarguably a great stocking filler.

I Look To You
I Look To You
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Anticipated & Welcome Return..., 22 Aug. 2009
This review is from: I Look To You (Audio CD)
I am very much looking forward to the release of Whitney's new & long awaited album, firstly top marks to Clive Davis who has roped in a range of established & contemporary writers & producers including Swizz Beatz, Johnta Austin, Alicia Keys, R. Kelly, Harvey Mason, Jr. & Akon, who have all contributed to the album & made it brilliant.

The album is a mix of classic ballads like 'I Didn't Know My Own Strength' this one written by acclaimed songwriter Diane Warren , a cover version of Leon Russell's hit 'A Song For You' & `I Look To You', mid-tempo jams include 'Like I Never Left' with a guest appearance from Akon, which I will add is the only guest appearance on the album, 'Call You Tonight', Worth It`,' You Got Me' & 'Salute' a track written by R.Kelly & produced by Tricky Stewart. The up-tempo songs include 'Nothin' But Love', 'For The Lovers' & the disco-esq. 'Million Dollar Bill' written by Alicia keys & produced by 'Swizz-beatz', this song is to become lead single.

The album is also a mix of tempos & sounds, while the ballads are very 'traditional' big productions that are vocally driven, you will hear that the mid-tempo & upbeat songs are much more modern, for a comeback album I think this is a winning formula, as it will give Whitney a fresh sound, that will help her gain new fans, while at the same time not alienating the die-hard or long-term fans, by including timeless ballads.
This album is set be a success that will rock the charts & to many fans including myself is a very welcome return from the one & only Ms. Whitney Houston.

Raleigh Roxz Girl's Dual Suspension Mountain Bike - 24-Inch
Raleigh Roxz Girl's Dual Suspension Mountain Bike - 24-Inch

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Bike!, 12 July 2009
I have recently got back into bike riding again after about 6 years, the last bike I had was a 20'' wheel Raleigh Max, which I involuntary stopped riding & basically playing out altogether when I was 10 due to bullies. My old Raleigh looks very small these days & obviously I have greatly outgrown it, so after looking at a number of bikes, a visit to a bike shop & some joint thinking I convinced my parents to get me this one, top marks for the aesthetics, the frame, the frame design & colour are to die for, the tyres and suspension also merit this bike, I consider myself a 'hybrid' cyclist therefore I needed a bike that could deliver in nearly all area's and this one gives a smooth ride as well as being truly fantastic over rough/bumpy terrain. It was easy to assemble & I have experienced no problems with the twist grip gears & the breaks are also great, not to mention the quirky mudguard. Prior to it's arrival I was a bit anxious about getting this bike as I am 16 but have always been slim & petite, I am only 5'2 and for my age & gender are unlikely to grow much taller. After a few seat and handlebar adjustments I found this bike to be a great fit, I enjoy riding around on it & am overall very happy with my choice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2010 10:37 AM BST

Fantasy Ride
Fantasy Ride
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasy Ride, 31 May 2009
This review is from: Fantasy Ride (Audio CD)
There are various things about this album which make it great, firstly the concept, there was a moderate amount of confusion concerning this but upon it's release it turned out to be a standard one disk album. The concept is inspired by comic books which is reflected in the album art, it also introduces Ciara's alter ego/ comic book character 'Super C'.

The jury is out on the tracks themselves as after hearing the whole album a few times over, I really cannot pick a single song that I don't like, meaning I am not skipping tracks. Predictably they follow Ciara's trademark crunk, hip-hop & R&B style but with more of an added disco flavour. 'Fantasy Ride' includes six collaborations with credible artists such as the likes of Justin Timberlake, Missy Elliot, The-Dream, Chris Brown, Young Jeezy & Ludacris.

Overall a brilliant cohesion of concept, album art & tracks. In my opinion a quality album & highly recommended for fans of Ciara and this genre in general.

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars The Begginings Of A Potentionally Great Artist., 14 Dec. 2008
This review is from: Hallelujah (Audio CD)
I Was Very Pleased That Alexandra Burke Won The X-Factor 2008, She Was The Best Singer By A Mile & She Also Has Great Looks To Go With It.
The Single Itself 'Hallelujah' Is Very Beautiful, Sultry & Emotional But Unlike Leona's Winners Single 'A Moment Like This' Their Is Not The Same Oppertunity To Show Off The Technical & Powerful Vocals, But Overall A Great Single And The Begginings Of A Potentionally Great Arist, I Can't Wait To Hear What Alexandra Has To Offer On Her 2009 Album.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2008 9:30 AM GMT

Talk to me [VINYL]
Talk to me [VINYL]
Offered by 5records

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy, Refined & Catchy., 1 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Talk to me [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I would sum this song up in three words classy, refined & catchy, it is very difficult to get out of your head also the structure of the song, the verses, chorus & bridge are as equally brilliant as each other, Anita's raw & soulful vocals make it just perfect, need i say anymore? Definitely a recommended track to have in your collection, no matter what format.

Keeps Gettin' Better
Keeps Gettin' Better
Offered by momox co uk

5.0 out of 5 stars A Generous Taste Of Christina's Latest Reincarnation., 1 Nov. 2008
This review is from: Keeps Gettin' Better (Audio CD)
Christina's brand new single, 'Keeps Gettin' Better' taken from her upcoming Keeps Gettin Better: A Decade of Hits [Deluxe CD + DVD] puts forth a generous taste of her new direction & style change musically & her latest image overhaul, it has a strong chorus with feisty lyrics, 'Somedays I'm A Superbitch / Up To My Own Tricks', also an electro-pop sound, very similar sounding to the average modern day Britney Spears track except with more power & charisma vocally, plus if Christina has Britney's sound then in my opinion she's making a much better job of it, to conclude a brilliant up-beat dancefloor track that deserved a slightly better chart position, only peaking at #7 on the Billboard hot 100.

Spirit - The Deluxe Edition [CD+DVD]
Spirit - The Deluxe Edition [CD+DVD]
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Reissue - A Treat For The Die-Hard Fans., 30 Oct. 2008
I would imagine the many fans who bought Spirit when it first hit shelves for this time last year are pondering about how the record company have the audacity to push out the same material on the coinciding month & the fact that their is just 3 new tracks included on the CD, two of which may i point out, `Misses Glass' & `Forgive Me' come as standard on the US edition of Spirit [Bonus Tracks] [Us Import, this making the purchase of this album even more of a might than a must, but i'm sure the DVD will enhance the reason for buying the deluxe edition of 'Spirit', the DVD includes the making of the Forgive Me music video, both the UK & US version of the music video for Bleeding Love, A Moment Like This & the rest of the music videos from Spirit.

Overall i think that the die-hard fans will love this with the benefit of the DVD & the few new songs, but i think the others who are not in the die-hard category will be more sceptic of the reason it was purposely released to coincide with the holiday season, personally i myself will definitely getting a copy, i like the few new songs as bonuses & i am very enticed by the DVD, but whether this is enough to buy the same album twice, i'll leave that decision up to you.

Forgive Me
Forgive Me

5.0 out of 5 stars This Single Is A Real Hit & A Real Recommendation., 30 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Forgive Me (Audio CD)
Leona's first true upbeat track 'Forgive Me' turns out to be quite a hit, it works in the style of a modern club vibe yet still grasps maturity & class, it's a well structured song with clear verses, a throbbing memorable chorus & great lyrics, it's B-Side 'Myself Ft. Novel' in my opinion equals the quality of the main track, i would describe the song as acoustic driven, mid-tempo & easy going with a swaying gentle beat, enough said, this single is fantastic & i would recommend this as a definite purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7