Profile for Ricky Bobby > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Roundup Fast Action Pump 'n' Go 5 Litres Weedkiller
Roundup Fast Action Pump 'n' Go 5 Litres Weedkiller

2.0 out of 5 stars Great weedkiller, terrible sprayer, 11 Aug. 2015
I've been using Roundup for years as it's a very effective weedkiller that not only works reliably but also quickly. This 5 litre sprayer was a complete waste of money though; no matter how much I pump it up, the spray pressure is always quite weak and rather than being able to pressurise the container and then just walk around dealing with the weeds, you have to regularly stop and re-pressurise it again as it runs out of steam so quickly. This is annoying but not unworkable, however what is unworkable is the nozzle on the (incredibly cheap, nasty feeling) spraying wand which seems to just randomly start dispensing the weedkiller in a solid jet of liquid whenever it feels like it. I've tried adjusting the nozzle, removing it and cleaning it, varying the spraying angle, raising the wand above the container, lowering it so that it's below the container, but nothing seems to work and I have no idea why it does this. When it does decide to do this though, the sprayer is rendered completely useless as well as very wasteful because it just fires out weedkiller in a concentrated, inaccurate stream that generally goes everywhere but where you want it to, and when you do manage to hit the weed that you're aiming for you kill it by drowning it. Needless to say I've since spent the money on a decent pressure sprayer and have transferred the Roundup into that. I'll be sticking with Roundup, but this pressure sprayer will be going to the tip.

NETGEAR WNA3100M-100PES N300 802.11n (300 Mbps) Wi-Fi USB Mini Adapter
NETGEAR WNA3100M-100PES N300 802.11n (300 Mbps) Wi-Fi USB Mini Adapter

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible performance, 21 July 2015
Thanks to this useless device I've wasted about a solid week of my life (spread out over a period of about 9 months) troubleshooting, fault-finding, contacting Netgear support and even trying a replacement router. I've also been without internet access for a significant period of time, all thanks to the following product features:

- Consistently bad reception of my own wireless network, from my (Netgear) router which is literally 5 feet away, yet somehow it manages to pick up about a dozen of my neighbours' networks, some of them with a much stronger signal than my own!
- Randomly refusing to even detect my own wireless network
- When it does decide it can detect it, randomly refusing to connect to the internet
- When the stars align, the wind is in the right direction and it does honour me with the ability to detect my wireless network, actually connect to it and ACTUALLY ALLOW ME ONTO THE INTERNET (OMG!!!!!1111!!!!!!), the internet connection speed is terrible

As soon as I swap this with a 10 year old D-Link wireless USB adapter, every single one of the above problems immediately vanishes, never to return until I try using this again, at which point it all goes belly up within seconds. I wondered if maybe I had a faulty one but given the large number of similar reviews on here I'm guessing it's just pants.

Nilfisk C120 6-6 PCA X-Tra Pressure Washer and Patio Cleaner Set
Nilfisk C120 6-6 PCA X-Tra Pressure Washer and Patio Cleaner Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the brand, 7 July 2015
I bought this after speaking to a professional car valeter who had a Nilfisk pressure washer. I'd never heard of them and Karcher is the most obvious choice, but he explained that Nilfisk were just as good, if not better, and cost far less due to the brand being less well known. Reasoning that somebody who's not only using one heavily on a daily basis but also relies on it to make a living, I chose this over the equivalent Karcher which cost almost twice as much as I paid (£217 vs £110).

That was 18 months ago and I'm glad that I took his advice (since then I've also spoken to a number of other people who use Nilfisk pressure washers in a professional capacity) as not only did I save a lot of money but more importantly the pressure washer has been brilliant. It's mainly used to wash two cars on a regular basis, but it's also been used for cleaning guttering, a garage door, soffits and 50 m/sq of heavily soiled block paving using the included patio cleaning head. The latter of these tasks really put it through its paces as the block paving was in a right state, having been neglected for almost a decade. It took me over 3 hours to finish the job, during which time the pump was going virtually non-stop. About half way through I had a feel to see if it was getting hot but it was only warm and wasn't hot even when I finished. The cleaning head did a great job as well and brought it up looking like new.

The unit itself is compact and light, and all of the accessories store away neatly. You get plenty of hose and it all looks and feels robust. If you're just going to be using it for the kind of stuff I've been doing then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you're going to be cleaning cars for a living then I'd probably get the next model up which can generate more pressure and if you're going to be cleaning patios and block paving on a regular basis I'd get one with as high operating pressure as possible as it will undoubtedly save time and effort, but otherwise this is perfect for regular domestic use.

Title Sparring Boxing Gloves - Red/White
Title Sparring Boxing Gloves - Red/White
Offered by PureFitness & Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than you'd expect for the money, 1 Jun. 2015
Given their price I wasn't expecting much from these really and thought I might get a year or so of bag work out of them, but they're holding up much better than I thought and after just over a year of 3-4 times weekly abuse they still haven't split, cracked or lost their shape.
I've used them for heavy bag work, circuits (so they've been rubbed on the floor doing press-ups, burpees and the like) and sparring. The padding seems good and I've not had any problems with hand injuries despite a lot of hard sessions.
If you're new to boxing then just make sure that you buy some hand wraps as well and learn how to put them on properly, because that's just as important as the quality of your gloves if you're going to be hitting anything hard.

NETGEAR DGN2200-100UKS N300 Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router for Phone Line Connections

5.0 out of 5 stars Problems from the start, 25 April 2015
As is always the case when buying this sort of thing, I did my research and was influenced by the high number of positive reviews on here but unfortunately my experiences with this router have been far from positive. The problems started as soon as I got it home: it kept hanging/crashing during setup and was even worse during the firmware update that it said was required. When I finally got all of that sorted, I then noticed straight away that the signal strength was very poor. Despite being situated in exactly the same location as the 10 year old D-Link router that it replaced, I actually get worse reception from it than I do my neighbour's router. Bearing in mind that I live in a detached house and the router is literally 7 or 8 feet below my PC (one floor below, on a shelf), to get better signal from a router that isn't even in the same house is just a joke.
Even when I do occasionally randomly get good signal strength from it, the reliability of the connection is terrible and quite often it will suddenly just drop the connection for no apparent reason. Getting it to reconnect usually then requires rebooting the router itself although sometimes even that doesn't work and you simply have to wait for it to sort itself out and decide that it wants to work again. After a couple of months of this I've finally given up with it and will be returning it ASAP.

**EDITED 21/07/15**
After receiving a free replacement router from Netgear, numerous phone calls and emails from their technical support and much of my own trial-and-error I've determined that the router is actually not at fault, and my problem lies with the Netgear WNA3100M wireless USB adapter that I'm using it with. I'll leave my old review here but have updated the stars accordingly as the router is actually really good now that I'm using it with my 10 year old D-Link wireless USB adapter.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 29, 2015 8:34 AM BST

Dictator: Revolt
Dictator: Revolt

2.0 out of 5 stars Too illogical to have longevity., 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Dictator: Revolt (App)
The idea for this is original and potentially very addictive; you're repeatedly faced with making controversial decisions that will undoubtedly please some of the in-game factions and upset others. Each decision you make costs money from the treasury and you can make more money by getting any given faction's approval score over a certain threshold. Conversely if any given faction's approval score drops below a certain threshold they will then start plotting to try to overthrow you. If at any point you run out of money or a conspiracy succeeds, it's game over. You also have to ensure that a faction's approval score doesn't go too high either.
Simple enough and would be a lot of fun apart from one major flaw: the impact of your decisions is at best, extremely difficult to predict, and at worst it's virtually random. For example your family requests that your son be given preferential treatment by his teachers. You refuse yet not only does this lose you favour with your family (as you'd obviously expect), it somehow also upsets the oligarchs and the police as well! Or when you refuse the oligarchs' request to be able to drive foreign cars, that somehow loses you favour with the police, or turning down the police's request for you to force blue-collar and white-collar workers to purchase police equipment somehow upsets your family! There just doesn't seem to be any logic to it so rather than making strategic decisions you're really just making random ones.

Boxing Timer Pro
Boxing Timer Pro

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but with one big flaw, 26 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Boxing Timer Pro (App)
This is on the whole a really good timer but it has one major flaw: there's no option to set a bell for mid-round intervals. Obviously this isn't a problem if you're only going to use it for timing rounds for sparring or proper bouts, but if, like at my boxing gym and all others I've trained at, you do a lot of round-based bag work or circuit training, you need to be able to set for mid-round intervals so that you know when to switch exercises or roles. For example you might be doing 12 x 3 minute rounds on the heavy bag but each round rather than doing just 3 minutes of the same thing you want to switch it up at 1 minute intervals, or you might be working in pairs where one holds the bag whilst the other goes flat-out for a minute, then you switch, or one attacks for a minute while the other only defends etc etc. Usually you'd just set an interval bell to go off every minute but with this app you can't do that and there's no way around it. You could set it to do 36 1 minute rounds but then you'd either have a rest interval after every minute which is too frequent or you'd have no rests at all which would have even the fittest fighter gassed and on the floor within a few rounds if they're really working hard!
It's a real shame because the other options and the user interface are all really good. Purely as a round timer it's great but there's so much more that goes on in a boxing gym that it seems like a major oversight to miss the interval bell option out, especially as this is a paid app and there are free ones out there that can do everything this does and more (although they might not look as nice or be as nice to use).
If they end up making an update and putting in the interval bell then I'll change this to 5 stars but as it is I can only give it 3.

Magic Silk, Liquid Onyx Women's Teddy with Rings, Small/Medium, Black
Magic Silk, Liquid Onyx Women's Teddy with Rings, Small/Medium, Black
Offered by Honour Clothing

2.0 out of 5 stars Very misleading photos, 2 Feb. 2015
In terms of the cut and fit it's exactly as per the Amazon photos, but that's where the similarity ends because the material from which its made looks completely different. In the Amazon photos it looks very shiny, almost like PVC. In reality it's sort of like a dull silk finish that's not even as shiny as most wet-look leggings. It's a real shame because the design and shape is seriously sexy.
I've attached a couple of photos taken in good, direct artificial light, one with flash and one without, to show what I mean. You might think that it'll look shinier when worn but in actual fact the material looks even more dull the more that it's stretched so the reverse is true.

Thankfully Amazon were superb when it came to returning it so getting my money back was a painless process. My fiancée was really disappointed so I'm now looking for a better replacement!

SNAP HOOK (CARBINE) - BZP STEEL - M8 (5/16IN.) 2PC
SNAP HOOK (CARBINE) - BZP STEEL - M8 (5/16IN.) 2PC
Offered by Aasta Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong and hard wearing, 13 Jan. 2015
I've been using a couple of these for a few years now, with a pair of Olympic rings and some boxing equipment (heavy bag and speed ball). They've therefore had a fair bit of hammer but so far they're still going strong and aren't showing much sign of wear so I expect they'll last for a very long time even with regular hard use.

The Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers Book 2013 edition
The Official DSA Theory Test for Car Drivers Book 2013 edition
by Driving Standards Agency

5.0 out of 5 stars Still current enough 2 years later, 13 Jan. 2015
Even though this is the 2013 edition it'll probably be relevant for a while. My fiancée used it late last year (2014) when studying for her theory test and she said it was perfect (she also passed first time).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9