Profile for Miss K > Reviews

Content by Miss K
Top Reviewer Ranking: 268

Miss K (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
LEGO 41101 Friends Heartlake Grand Hotel
LEGO 41101 Friends Heartlake Grand Hotel

5.0 out of 5 stars Luxury Lego Set!, 23 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Wow, what a cool lego set! I didn't have anything like this when I was growing up and made do with small buckets of lego and Polly Pocket. This is a huge set and feels like a real treat - it's beautifully designed with lots of detail. I helped my 10 year old niece with this over the weekend and it was a lot of fun to construct. Everything is neatly organised with instruction books and individual bag of lego so it's easy to open one bag at a time and build in sections. You could open everything in one go but my niece and I decided to play it safe and avoid unnecessary complications.

Once fully constructed and you can still move things around to change the structure of the hotel. It very much becomes a “dollhouse” with functional parts (like the lift, which can be moved up and down) and “extras” like lego doll characters, pets, a taxi, a luggage trolley and lots more. I think a lego set like this is great because building and the subsequent playing appeal to both the logical and the creative sides of the brain. It's recommended for 8-12 year olds - I reckon older children (and any adult helping out) may prefer to build whereas younger children might prefer to play with the hotel after it’s been fully assembled, but that is of course a generalisation. Genuinely lots of fun and no complaints of boredom from my niece!

Coding For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
Coding For Dummies (For Dummies (Computers))
by Nikhil Abraham

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect if you want to start learning to develop websites, 15 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a a good introduction to programming for the web. The book assumes you are an absolute beginner and gives you a good grounding if you want to get started in web development.

An overview of the book’s contents:
- Part 1 provides an introduction to coding and programming for the web.
- Part 2 provides a good grounding in HTML and CSS: what it is, how to organise code and how to add styling in order to customise a website. It covers JavaScript so that you can add interactivity to your website e.g. rollover effects. It also covers Bootstrap which is increasingly important these days if you want to create a responsive website suitable for mobile and tablet users.
- Part 3 goes into the process of building a web app, which covers the research process (and not just the coding part)
- Part 4 provides an introduction to Ruby on Rails and Python: this really is a basic introduction only and you will most definitely need another book if you are particularly interested in these languages.
- Part 5 provides additional tips and resources and can be read at any time.

I have so far spent most of my time developing my HTML & CSS skills and haven’t looked too closely at Parts 3 & 4 yet as it seems a bit advanced to me. I do think the book is well-organised with a logical order to things and don’t think it helps me to dip in to sections randomly. It’s designed to teach you the basics and build upon your knowledge, step-by-step as you work through the different chapters of the book. Don’t forget you learn better through “doing” than simply reading so you need to be coding as you go along. The book recommends using Codeademy, which has lots of practice exercises which you can do online - it’s a good way to learn. You can also download a free code editor online and sign up for a free web builder (one that allows you to build websites from scratch or use an existing template and edit the HTML) There are some resources at the end of the book which are quite useful.

A summary on how this book helped me:
I think this book is a really good starting point for anyone who wants to start building websites. How useful it is going to be for you will depend upon your current knowledge level, your individual learning style and why you want to learn coding in the first place. I’ve had some exposure to the world of coding but not enough knowledge to be able to really do anything other than make small tweaks to existing code, in order to change things like the background image or text colour. I have long been frustrated by my inability to properly customise websites that I have set up using online web builders where a lot can be achieved by drag and drop. Learning HTML and CSS really has helped me as it means I can start doing customisations to a website without needing to hire a web developer. The book is not a magic formula in itself, you need to actually do the work and try things out but it’s a good starting point and was definitely perfect for what I wanted it for.

Philips GC2086/30 EasySpeed Plus Cordless Steam Iron with Compact Smart Charging Base, 2400 Watt, Purple

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value Cordless Steam Iron, 12 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a cordless steam iron with a small charging base. The instructions are straightforward and the iron itself is easy to use. It takes about 7 seconds to charge up the iron and you get about 20 seconds of steam-ironing before you need to place it on the base for a quick recharge. You'll know when to charge because the base will start to flash orange: the light will blink blue while the iron is charging and then remain stable blue when it's ready to use.

We also own a Philips Steam Generator iron which is much more expensive and has a bulkier base which you need to fill up with water. While this little cordless model is not better or equal to the steam generator, it's a good value alternative if you're on a small budget or just don't have the space. It's a powerful iron with a fast recharge time (I haven't really found myself having to wait for it to finish charging, but it depends what you're ironing) You can use it with or without the steam and there are several different modes for different types of fabric. There's also a steam boost feature for when you need a burst of extra steam to get out a stubborn crease. The iron doesn't feel too heavy to use and if you usually use a corded iron, you'll definitely notice the difference going cordless. Overall I think this is a good value iron with decent performance for everyday ironing tasks.

Philips DVT4000 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with AutoAdjust+
Philips DVT4000 Voice Tracer Digital Recorder with AutoAdjust+

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use digital recorder, 8 July 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a small, lightweight dictaphone (measuring approximately 11.5cm x 4.3cm x 1.5cm) It comes with a USB charger which you can plug in to your computer, so there's no need for batteries. There's also no need for audio cassettes as all your recordings are saved onto the device. It has some on board memory (looks like 4GB to me) so you can start using it straight away even without a memory card. If you want to use a card, you'll need a micro SD up to 32GB.

You need to charge up the device for 2 hours before you first use it. It's simple enough to use and the quick start guide is useful (all pictures though) There's no proper paper manual included with the dictaphone but you can access the digital version when you plug the device into your computer.

So far I've used the device to record a small team meeting and to make short voice notes for ideas / brainstorming and things I need to remember. Sound quality is of reasonable clarity and the device does does seem to cancel out background noise. The device is much better suited on recording up to arms length: it will record sound from further away but the voices are a lot quieter even with the device volume turned up to maximum.

Overall, I think this is a good voice recorder for the price; very useful for quick note-taking with reasonable sound quality. I like that everything's digital as it makes it so much easier to transfer and share files.

Levv Curved Padded Office Chair - Walnut/White
Levv Curved Padded Office Chair - Walnut/White

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish & Comfortable!, 14 Jun. 2015
Bought this for an office for which we had purchased lots of off-white IKEA desks and drawers (from the Linnmon & Alex ranges). The Levv chair was a very good match. It's an attractive chair and looks stylish and contemporary. The seat does feel a bit hard in comparison to the cushioned seats on the non-fancy, budget office chairs we also purchased and although I was disappointed at first, I have to say I've never actually found myself complaining that the chair is uncomfortable and it really does feel fine to sit on for 8 hours at the office.

In terms of assembly, it was pretty straightforward except for one pre-drilled hole which hadn't been drilled properly and made assembly much more fiddly & frustrating than it needed to be. There's no tilt on the chair but there's a gas lift mechanism to make the chair go up and down.

I really like this chair and would definitely recommend it. On personal note however, I would add that I do slightly regret buying the white as my first day in the office, it was very hot and I was wearing a brand new pair of very dark indigo dyed jeans and the dye rubbed off all over the seat. It won't all come off so my chair seat is now blue in parts, which looks a bit silly. You can't see it so long as I'm siting on it but it's a pricey chair and I presumably wouldn't have had to worry about the dye if I'd just purchased the black version of the chair in the first place. Ah well, you live and learn... ;)

Ultranatura Canberra Series 2-seater Park Bench - Garden Bench with Historic Cast Frame

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice bench but very unstable..., 14 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bench was disappointing to say the least. It took about half an hour to assemble and it's certainly a pretty bench to look at - but it's not fit for purpose, i.e. sitting on.

The instructions are minimal but easy to follow. No missing parts, yet the bench feels unstable. The seat planks are incredibly flimsy and could do with an extra plank or two across the bottom to provide some much needed stability.

I know this item is inexpensive so I was expecting (and willing to overlook) issues with the bench looking cheap or being poorly finished but issues with stability are unforgivable. No one wants to sit on something that could collapse at any moment. The bench sounds great in the description but I would strongly suggest finding an alternative, unless you just want something that's purely decorative (and not for sitting on) in which case this would be fine.

Alcohol Free 500ml Antibacterial NHS Grade Hand Gel Sanitiser Kills 99.999% of bacteria Virucidal Kills Norovirus in 30 seconds Remains effective for 6 hours Leaves hands clean & smooth no rinsing required Cruelty Free Halal Approved Effective against MRSA C-Dif Legionella Influenza Ebola HIV Kills Norovirus
Offered by Serenity Environmental Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Alcohol-free antibacterial hand gel, 6 Jun. 2015
I was especially keen to find an antibacterial gel which was alcohol-free as the ones with alcohol tend to be more likely to dry out and irritate my skin. This one is quite good and I've experienced no adverse effects having been using it for the last few weeks.

The product absorbs quickly into the skin and leaves no filmy residue, which is great. One small complaint I have though, is the dispenser: a very light press on the pump still manages to dispense far more product than necessary, which then takes longer to dry. It's a very liquid-ey product so you really don't need much at all...

While I can't really comment on whether the antibacterial properties truly do work (I mean, how would you prove it as a consumer?) I like to think it's working! At 500ml, it's a good sized bottle and worth the price in my opinion (currently under £7) There's also a foam version of the same product which I will order next time to see if it's any better than this one. The ones in hospitals are usually foam (if I've remembered correctly) and they are quick-drying so foam might be a better option over liquid - I'll update this review once I've tried both.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2015 3:04 AM BST

Hallmark Wedding Contemporary 3D Attachment Card - Medium
Hallmark Wedding Contemporary 3D Attachment Card - Medium

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Wedding Card, 6 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a pretty card with floral decoupage which lifts up off the page slightly for a bit of dimension. It's good quality, made with a decent weight card that has a subtle pearlescent finish. The card measures 22.5cm x 15.5cm and a white envelope is included.

The outside of the card reads "For the Bride and Groom" and the inside reads "Can't wish you anything better than what you're promising each other. Happy Wedding Day"

It's a nice card overall. At the time of writing this review, it was priced at around £3.50, which is probably the most I'd be willing to pay having seen the card in person. For those interested in knowing, the Hallmark price code at the back is 150. I'll have a look next time I'm in store to see what price range this falls into before I conclude whether the Amazon price is a good one...

Sigel HN617 PageMarkers, Index Sticky Notes, Film, Transparent, Micro 5 colours, 400 strips

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy little coloured strips..., 2 Jun. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are extremely handy page markers. In the past I have purchased the standard sized page post-its which are more like coloured tabs, so there's space to write something in if want to. These Sigel page markers by comparison are really tiny strips (approx 5cm x 0.5cm) You can still write on them (maybe two or three words if you have small writing) but I think they are best used just as colour-coded markers.

You get 400 strips in five bright colours. The strips don't tear so they're durable and have enough stickiness to them to stop them falling off the page. They are handy for anything where you might need to mark a page for quicker referencing whether it's a recipe book, magazine, school work, a novel, a reference book or anything else that needs marking.

Overall, I really do like the strips although they don't replace the standard sized page markers which I will also continue to use. I do think they are slightly pricey too and I'd be much more likely to re-order if they were half the price that they're at right now (currently at around six pounds)

Q Connect 300mm Ruler - Clear
Q Connect 300mm Ruler - Clear

2.0 out of 5 stars Brittle ruler with ugly stick label attached, 27 May 2015
This is a clear ruler with measurements in centimetres and inches. At under a quid for a ruler, I thought it would be a decent purchase.

However, I have to agree with the other reviewer on here who pointed out that there is a big white sticky label on the ruler which is difficult to remove and leaves a horrendous residue behind. I assume it's an Amazon label as it has a barcode on there. Why retailers insist on putting ugly labels like this onto products, I have no idea. It ruins the aesthetics of the product and sometimes interferes with the functionality too. There are plenty of sticker options which peel off easily and leave no residue(!)

I would also add that the ruler feels quite brittle, so I expect it will break easily. I should have just ordered a clear blue ruler like the one I previously had (but sadly misplaced)...

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20