Profile for Miss K > Reviews

Content by Miss K
Top Reviewer Ranking: 273

Miss K (UK)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Jewelco London 9ct Yellow Gold studs claw-set with 3mm Solitaire CZ stone
Jewelco London 9ct Yellow Gold studs claw-set with 3mm Solitaire CZ stone
Offered by Jewelco London

5.0 out of 5 stars Dainty Little Studs, 4 July 2014
I wanted a very small pair of studs for everyday wear and ordered these to replace another pair I had with different coloured stones. I measured those and thought they were 3mm but these new ones are noticeably smaller by comparison. I did measure them both again and I guess these are just about 3mm so it was my mistake... Tiny but I actually prefer them to my old studs as they're more understated and very dainty looking. They're really comfortable to wear (and sleep in) as they are so small and light and don't protrude from the front or the back either. I definitely recommend them. The studs do come gift boxed too, in case you are purchasing as a gift.

Moshi Versa Cover for Apple iPad Air - Grey
Moshi Versa Cover for Apple iPad Air - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly slim and lightweight case..., 29 Jun. 2014
This is a very slim and lightweight case, which is exactly what I wanted for my iPad Air. Since I got my iPad, I've been using it without a case, until the day I saw the faintest of scratches on the screen. It's so faint, I don't notice it day-to-day, but as I don't like the feel of screen protectors, I decided it was time to start hunting for a suitable cover instead.

This Moshi cover is perfect for me because it adds practically no bulk to the iPad. The back is a translucent plastic (be careful when removing the iPad from the case so as to not crack or snap the case) and the front is a lightweight material arranged in segments so it can easily fold into different positions.

There are a few different viewing positions that you can create by folding the case this way and that way. I think I've found four angles for the landscape view and one for the portrait view.

The case has no discernible scent to report (which I notice mentioned in a lot of reviews for various cases) and does have a sleep/wake function so the iPad screen automatically locks when you close the cover.

One note on the colours for the Moshi cases is that they are quite inaccurate. I managed to find some user uploaded images elsewhere online and found those images to give a much better indication as to what all the different colours really look like. This one for example is described as grey but looks like a truffle colour in the official photos. In reality it's like a dark grey from the taupe family. The dark blue that's on sale is actually more of a mid-blue denim, which is completely different from the almost navy blue one pictured, obviously... Look for unofficial photos of the cases to get a better idea of the colour!

SUMMARY
I really love my case and think it's the ideal partner for the slimline iPad Air. It's definitely not a heavy duty case and overall I think it provides good light protection. You don't get many viewing angles either so I think you have to weigh up what's most important to you in a case... I really just wanted a case that was "barely there" so for me, this case it perfect.

Belkin Relaxed Pro iPad Air Case - Black
Belkin Relaxed Pro iPad Air Case - Black
Offered by BESTBUYIT

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks great but quite bulky..., 29 Jun. 2014
FIRST IMPRESSIONS
It's an attractive case made with soft microfiber fabric that feels lovely to the touch. It’s a folio case so it opens like a book and there’s a handy strap to keep it firmly closed. I wasn't sure I wanted a black case at first but I really like it as it's a soft black and it looks great next to the chic taupe coloured accents and lining. You can tell the case is high quality and looks really well made.

IN USE
The case is held in place at the corners and as they are rubber (not plastic) it is relatively easy to get the iPad in and out of the case. It does have the sleep/wake function which I like because it means the screen will automatically lock when you close the cover.

The case feels sturdy and provides good protection except for the soft circle cutout shape, towards the left of the case. While the rest of the case is pretty solid, this part is made of a elastane-type of fabric through which I can feel my iPad screen. I think this creates a strange vulnerable spot and for this reason, I can’t say the case provides complete protection for the iPad.

The idea behind the circle of soft fabric is to allow for more comfortable balancing on one leg, when the iPad is on your lap, the idea being that your leg fits into the soft groove allowing the iPad to stabilise. While this sounds pretty innovative, it didn’t really work for me and the case & iPad are quite wobbly when positioned like this on one leg. Maybe it's a design flaw or maybe my leg’s just too small so it’s not a snug fit...

The are 5 notches to position your iPad so that’s five viewing angles + an extra angle if you go past the last notch and just allow the iPad to rest there on a slight incline. It’s definitely handy to have the versatility of multiple viewing angles.

I guess my biggest issue with the case has to be the weight: it adds a lot of bulk to the iPad, which feels quite heavy housed in the case. Do I really want this when I’ve purchased an iPad Air, the slimmest and lightest of all the iPad’s to date…? Not really, no.

SUMMARY
This is a quality case and it looks really good. The fabric is lovely although I’ve noticed now that it’s prone to picking up dust and fibers (a lighter case might be better at disguising this but then you might have a new problem of other marks showing up) I’m not keen on the soft circle of fabric, which doesn't actually help the iPad to balance on my leg and I think it leaves the case vulnerable. The case is just too bulky in my opinion and makes the iPad heavy to hold and carry around. I recently purchased a Moshi Versacover case (a folding origami case) and although there are fewer viewing angles, it is by comparison very thin and light. The Belkin case is good but there are a few issues with it so it only gets three stars from me.

ChapStick Original and Strawberry Tent Card - Pack of 10
ChapStick Original and Strawberry Tent Card - Pack of 10

4.0 out of 5 stars Reliably good at softening lips, 28 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Chapstick is a classic and I've used them regularly at one time or another since I was a teen. These lip balms keep your lips soft and are just as effective as more expensive brands, plus a whole lot better than the cheaper brands.

With this pack you get 5 strawberry and 5 original - I like both but have to say that neither "taste delicious" - I often see reviews for lip balms where people have commented on the delicious flavour but I personally don't like balms like this anymore because you end up licking all the product off which means you have to keep reapplying and end up using a lot more product in the end... These do have a fairly strong flavour: not delicious but not disgusting either. I don't mind the flavour although I never apply them if I'm going to be eating anything soon after because everything ends up tasting slightly medicinal (I find the lip balm sticks by Nivea are much more neutral in flavour, by comparison)

At the time of writing this review these work out to £1 per stick, which I think is good value. The strawberry does have a very slight tint but it's subtle. Cherry is my favourite Chapstick but I'm happy to have the strawberry and original and I think this 10 pack will last us a long while. I didn't notice an expiry date on the packaging - just a shelf life of 12 months, once a stick is opened.

PG tips Peppermint 20s Pyramid Teabags 22g (Pack of 4, Total 80 Tea Bags)
PG tips Peppermint 20s Pyramid Teabags 22g (Pack of 4, Total 80 Tea Bags)

3.0 out of 5 stars Mildly Minty..., 1 Jun. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I wasn't a fan of peppermint tea until I tried Teapigs Peppermint a few years ago (loose variety, so I could control the strength of flavour more easily) I've been hooked ever since and haven't bothered with other brands until now.

I like the packaging - they are tiny white pyramids bags. The flavour is minty but fairly subtle. I tried infusing for different lengths of time including the recommended 4-5 minutes and also left the bag in a few times - the flavour never really gets any stronger unlike with other brands I've tried where the tea becomes undrinkable if it's been left to infuse for longer than a minute.

What's disappointing is it doesn't taste like it's just pure mint tea - you can taste something else. I can't quite place it but it tastes artificial to me - it might be the actual fabric of the bag. It's a world of difference to the Teapigs I usually drink which has a much purer flavour. The PG tips is by no means unbearable - I'll drink it, I just don't enjoy it all that much. There's lots of other positive reviews here so it looks like people really like it. Ah well, taste is subjective! This isn't really my cup of tea and I'm going to stick to my Teapigs variety - give it a go though, you might think differently.

Scholl Velvet Smooth Night Mask - 60 ml
Scholl Velvet Smooth Night Mask - 60 ml

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as effective as Scholl's dry skin foot cream..., 5 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a foot cream that you put on before you go to sleep: it's a "Night Mask" that's supposed to nourish your dry skin. This is fine in theory but I found the cream wasn't particularly effective. It took several days before I noticed any difference and even then, it wasn't enough of a change to make me want to recommend the cream to anyone and no better than a regular body moisturiser. It also has quite a chemical-like, detergent sort of scent which is really off-putting.

Scholl's other product "Scholl Dry Skin Instant Recovery Cream" is a lot better at smoothing cracked heels and softening really dry feet - I know that one isn't a foot mask like this one but you can use it at night or during the day and it gets results (i.e. softer skin) much quicker - plus it doesn't smell like detergent!

Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Scholl Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover
Offered by The sales People

3.0 out of 5 stars Scholl vs Emjoi Professional - a comparative review, 27 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Prior to trying this, I was using the more expensive Emjoi Micro-Pedi Professional. I had high hopes for the Scholl branded version but it's nowhere near as good as the Emjoi. Let me explain...

The unit itself is sturdy and ergonomic so it feels comfortable to hold and manoeuvre. There's one speed setting (Emjoi Professional has two but I tend to only use the high setting anyway) and the rollers are easy to change: there's a little switch at the side that you push which will allow you to pull the roller out or push back in. It's a larger & heavier unit compared to the Emjoi Professional (about 3.5cm longer) and it takes 4x AA batteries compared to 3x AAA for the Emjoi Professional.

The device makes a lot of noise - the Emjoi Professional is much quieter. On top of this, the fine skin dust flies absolutely everywhere: inhaling it is unavoidable (unless you have a mask) The Emjoi Professional is so much better here, I think because only half of the roller is actually exposed so it stops all the skin flying upwards and does a good job of directing skin flakes downwards. The other thing is, the roller on the Scholl, doesn't do as good a job as the standard Emjoi roller. The Scholl feels coarser and I've found it's just not as effective in buffing away dry skin. You need to spend more time with the roller over a couple of sessions, to get the same kind of results you get with the Emjoi Professional in one short session.

The Scholl isn't bad overall and I think 2 stars would have been too stingy - but there is something so much better on the market. Personally if it was a choice between the Scholl and a foot file, I would much rather have the Scholl - it's going to make lighter work of buffing and if you've got really dry, coarse skin on your feet you'll be there for ages with a manual foot file. But a choice between the Scholl and the Emjoi Professional, I would choose Emjoi every time. It's quieter, there's far less skin flying around and it does a great job of buffing away dry skin. For really soft feet, I also recommend using foot cream after using whichever Pedi device you have (I recommend Scholl dry skin instant recovery cream)

Perfect Fitness AB Carver Pro Ultrawide Wheel - Black, Size 1
Perfect Fitness AB Carver Pro Ultrawide Wheel - Black, Size 1

5.0 out of 5 stars A female point of view..., 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a chunky ab roller with ergonomic handles that feel comfortable to hold. It’s super easy to assemble (just click the handles in place and it’s ready) You get a knee mat in the box, essential if you’re exercising on a hard floor as opposed to carpet.

My mum and I have both used other ab rollers in the past. Our previous version was a contraption with two big cogs and stretchy rope pieces which you can add/remove depending on how much resistance you want. You don’t get resistance control on this one but come to think of it, we’ve never actually changed the resistance on the previous one and we’ve had it for years... What you do get though is a spring mechanism which provides resistance as you roll outwards and then assistance to make it easier to come back up: you can definitely feel this in use.

Not much you can do with an ab roller apart from roll forwards and sideways but don’t let that fool you - it is a very tough exercise. I am out of practise as I haven’t rolled in a while and it really is tough - if you’re new to ab rollers, remember to keep good form: you don’t want to put strain on your back so keep your stomach muscles pulled in and don’t roll out too far. If you use it regularly, you’ll find you can roll out further and manage far more repetitions, as time goes on. My mum is actually a lot better at this than I am as she uses it daily.

You’ll feel it in the abs, sides (if you’re rolling out to the side), the arms and shoulders. It you feel it too much in your back (particularly the lower back) make sure you’re holding your abs in and try not to roll out so far. Remember, it won’t work miracles on it’s own and you really need to use it in conjunction with a decent diet and regular exercise. It’s a nice addition to an interval workout or a straight toning routine or as part of short ab session which I usually have at the end of a cardio. You could use it on it’s own (as my mum does) and it will help to build strength but I prefer to incorporate it into my existing workouts. A small word of warning, this is not one I would recommend for anyone with weak wrists as you do end up putting a lot of weight on them as you’re rolling.

Admittedly ab rollers have never been my favourite exercise, which explains why I've never used one daily. Personally I find rolling to be too monotonous but I am all for incorporating the roller into my exercise regime for a bit of variety - it does target the muscles differently, which is always good. This particular roller is pretty good - sturdy, comfortable and it does what it's supposed to so I can't really fault it. There aren’t any guidance notes on how to use the roller so if you’ve never used one, it might be useful searching for a video online for a similar product as it will highlight good form so you avoid injury.

Logitech UltraThin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air 1 - Black, UK layout
Logitech UltraThin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air 1 - Black, UK layout

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost Perfect iPad Air Keyboard, 29 Mar. 2014
A QUICK SUMMARY:

Why buy it...
- Looks great and a perfect match for the black/space grey iPad air
- Comfortable typing experience & everything feels like it’s where it should be
- Long battery life
- Reliable connectivity & quick to turn on/off
- Adds versatility to your iPad - you’re not lumbered with a fiddly folio case and can easily just lift on / lift off the keyboard

Potential Negatives...
- Only one viewing angle
- No protection for the back of the iPad
- A bit on the expensive side

THE FULL REVIEW:

FIRST IMPRESSIONS
Logitech are calling this "the other half of your iPad Air" and I have to agree. It’s a lovely, thin keyboard that looks a perfect match for the space grey iPad Air. It feels sturdy, relatively light and certainly lighter than the iPad itself.

SET UP
I dismantled the entire box and couldn’t find any instructions (just battery disposal & warranty info) Here is a link to the pdf manual from the Logitech website: [...] This has got all the charging, set up and function key information.

You get a USB charging cable with the keyboard so I plugged this into my PC - the light blinks green while charging and you’ll get a stable green light when it’s fully charged. It’s too soon for me to tell yet but apparently you get 3 months of battery life (based on 2hrs of keyboard use per day)

Initial pairing is really straight forward and once it's paired it will connect automatically everytime: just switch the keyboard on and place the ipad into the slot - you can actually continue typing even if the ipad is not placed on the keyboard so this might be useful if you’ve placed it on a separate stand.

EVERYDAY USE
I’ve been using the keyboard for over a month and I’m happy with it with no big complaints to report. The ipad snaps into place with ultimate ease and it's held there by magnets. When not in use, you can lift the ipad off and place it over the keyboard and it will snap into place. It does have auto sleep/wake. It does look like a little laptop when it's closed so just be careful when you open it up again, and remember to lift the ipad off the hinge or else it will slam down - there is nothing to hold up the ipad as you would get wih a laptop screen and it’s all too easy to forget.

You get a mostly comfortable typing experience and everything feels like it is where it should be. There are a few shortcuts you can use with the "fn" key but I only ever use the copy/cut and paste shortcuts. Having a keyboard obviously means you can use the whole iPad screen rather than half the screen being unavailable because you're using the touchscreen keyboard.

In terms of speed of typing, I guess it’s a little faster than if I were using the touchscreen. I admittedly would have preferred a lighter touch on the keyboard, more akin to my iMac keyboard. It's not bad, but I am conscious of pressing the keys and letters not being typed because I didn't press hard enough.

No issues with connectivity or reliability of the bluetooth connection while the keyboard is in use and it always connects immediately.

There are keyboard/case solutions that have multiple viewing angles so I was worried that this Logitech one only has one viewing angle. While I have not found this to be problematic, I do think multiple angles would have been better. I suppose it would be hard to incorporate into the design though and I’ve only seen multiple positions being offered if it’s a folio-style keyboard cases.

SUMMARY
I like my new keyboard. My favourite aspect is how perfectly effortless it is to snap on & snap off - it's fantastic if (like me) you frequently switch between keyboard and just using the iPad on it's own. I've seen other keyboards where the iPad has to fit into a case and that's fine if you're going to leave the iPad in there for prolonged use but no doubt hassle if you keep switching…

The iPad is unprotected so if you are travelling, you need to buy a pouch / sleeve - anything but the snuggest sleeves should be fine to accommodate the iPad and keyboard, the one I bought was designed for the earlier iPad models.

Alpen Berries Trail Bar 48g (Pack of 12 bars)
Alpen Berries Trail Bar 48g (Pack of 12 bars)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sickly Sweet, 4 Mar. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I enjoy all sorts of cereal bars, oat/cereal bars, flapjacks, fruit bars (the ones by Nakd), protein bars etc and I’m always happy to try something new. This one by Alpen is a mixture of oats, whole wheat, puffed rice, dried fruit and a whole load of sugar, amongst other things.

They feel quite light and the bars have got a nice texture - soft, not dense like a flapjack and not as firm/hard as cereal bars often are. I like cereal bar snacks and I like sweet things so I should have liked these but I didn’t. You can taste the berries (quite nice, especially the blueberries) but I found the overall flavour to be very sweet and there’s also a slightly waxy/oily taste which I really don’t like. I have eaten 2 bars so far and both times the bars were a struggle to finish and then the aftertaste was sickly sweet. Looking at the ingredients, on top of the natural sugars found in fruit, all of the fruit has been sweetened and then there’s glucose syrup in the bars as well. I know most cereal bars are loaded with sugar anyway so I wouldn't normally be fixated on this IF the bars tasted ok - but they just don't: all you can taste is the sweet.

The bars are suitable for vegetarians. Nutritional info for those interested: 180 calories, 2.7g fat, 35g carbs (14g sugar), 2.1g fibre, 2.9g protein.

To sum up, I like the oaty aspect of the bars and the consistency but I wouldn’t have these again. All the sweetness aside, the protein content is also disappointing - the best snack bars have a bit more protein in there because this is what’s going to keep you feeling fuller for longer (just what you need in a snack!)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20