Profile for Louise Bradford > Reviews

Content by Louise Bradford

Louise Bradford

Page: 1 | 2
Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)
Half a King (Shattered Sea, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 11 Jan. 2016
This was my first Joe Abercrombie book and I'm going to be picking up others as a result. I can see why it has been pitched as a young adult book but I think the dark humour and the character development kept it going and held my interest. It certainly leaves me with high hopes for his books aimed at older readers.

Sleigh Bells in the Snow (Snow Crystal trilogy, Book 1)
Sleigh Bells in the Snow (Snow Crystal trilogy, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story. A good festive read, 1 Jan. 2016
A sweet and relatively straightforward romance. Maple was a lovely touch. Definitely worth a read if you have the time, preferably with hot chocolate in front of a warm fire.

The Awakening (The Judas Curse Book 1)
The Awakening (The Judas Curse Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A little unconvinced, 18 Oct. 2015
I'm not sure about this one. There were some interesting ideas in here and for the most part the characters were likeable if a little clichéd, but it just didn't hit all the rights notes for me. I finished it and about halfway through I had a picture of where it might be going and it wound itself towards a reasonable conclusion. It's worth a read. I had just read some superb fantasy novels that might have shaped my expectations unfairly.

Enchantress (The Evermen Saga Book 1)
Enchantress (The Evermen Saga Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear some time in your day for this one, 18 Oct. 2015
I loved the Evermen books. I originally picked up Enchantress just because it had good reviews, I really wanted to find another good fantasy author and I had recently read a few duds. Luckily for me, the Everman Saga was everything I had hoped. This is fantasy done very, very well. The characters are well developed, the stories are interwoven in such a way that you can't put the book down because even if you now know what is happening with Ella, you still need to know what's happened to Miro and their friends. There are some great protagonists in these novels and I read through books 1-4 in a week. I've recommended them a few times to friends already and I'll continue to do so.

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1)
Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating concept, 18 Oct. 2015
I haven't read another book which such a well crafted anti-hero. This was certainly a long way shy of your normal moral, tough, fighting against all odds for the common good hero but nonetheless gripping. I became very invested in what happened not only to our somewhat raw and ready prince but to his brothers and the outcomes of their stories as well. I'll be picking up the next book shortly.

The flash backs certainly helped with character development but did cause me some fleeting confusion to begin with. Mark Lawrence isn't shy about killing characters off and explaining the reasoning several steps later. This isn't a book to skim read and it's certainly worth the time to read it properly, if nothing else so you come across the characters in their proper times.

What Could Possibly Go Wrong (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 6)
What Could Possibly Go Wrong (The Chronicles of St Mary's Book 6)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 9 Oct. 2015
These books are flawless. The character development is great. The laughter, the tears and the late nights all testament to a book that you just can't put down.

THOROUGHBREDS AND TRAILER TRASH: (Hearts and Hoofbeats Book 1)
THOROUGHBREDS AND TRAILER TRASH: (Hearts and Hoofbeats Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice romance for horse lovers, 7 Sept. 2015
I always like books where horses feature and for me, Peanut stole the show. I liked both the lead in this, particularly as they didn't always get things right immediately. Clever and well thought out.

The Three Wives of Adam Monroe (The Three Mrs. Monroes)
The Three Wives of Adam Monroe (The Three Mrs. Monroes)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet stories, 6 Sept. 2015
A lovely set of stories that was easy to read. A little bit of everything for every woman out there. There were a couple of spelling mistakes but it didn't really detract from the plot. Some clear messages of forgiveness and growth in the face of adversity.

The Road
The Road

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 25 July 2014
This review is from: The Road (Kindle Edition)
I'm not convinced. This was either blindingly brilliant or painfully awful. It came across as raw and haunting, but the lack of punctuation and interesting dialogue tripped me up along the way. I think it's worth a read but you may need to do it in one sitting to prevent you putting it down halfway through and not picking it up again. I struggled around a hundred pages but after that it did seem to find its own rhythm

Shattered (Francis Thriller)
Shattered (Francis Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 25 July 2014
Of all the Dick Francis books I've read, there are three that I go back to again and again. I loved Shattered when I first read it. It is an intriguing read where just when you think you know where things are going, the whole plot twists. A tale of video tapes, glass and secrets - love every minute of it

Page: 1 | 2