Profile for J. Freeman > Reviews

Content by J. Freeman

J. Freeman (Reading, Berkshire)

Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g
Wireless Access Point Router w/ 4-Port Switch 802.11g

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, until now..., 19 Jan 2007
I bought the WRT54G v.5 in March 2006. Setting it up was easy, I wired the PC in then used the supplied CD to change the connection settings automatically. Once the PCs were set up with a wired connection they were pretty much ready for a wireless one. (Note: you need a separate wireless adaptor for your PC)

Once it was set up I didn't need to change the settings for normal use. However, I learned a lot about all the different settings and managed to tweak them a little to suit my needs better. That included adding video game consoles and changing security settings amongst other things. Over the last ten months I've only had to reset a few times. I was enjoying the trouble free use of this excellent router.

Until this week. Yesterday the network connection cut out. I couldn't communicate with the router, let alone connect to the internet. A reset sorted that out. But then the same thing happened this morning and resetting didn't work. I got onto Linksys support who confirmed it was broken. I emailed Amazon about it and they are sending a new one out for me because it's still under warranty.

This would have had a full five stars from me if it hadn't broken. I can't say it's unique to Linksys, though. I used to have another wireless router from a top brand which became faulty a month out of warranty. While it was working, I found the Linksys WRT54G v.5 to be a very good router.

Cordless Action Controller PS2 Gamepad
Cordless Action Controller PS2 Gamepad

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 April 2006
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I'd heard rumours that the receiver for this controller doesn't fit well with the Slimline PS2. Those rumours are completely false. It's snug against the memory card but not so that it's pushing against it. It's level with the bottom of the console, so there's no problem having the PS2 horizontal. When it's pushed all the way in there's actually a gap of about 1mm between the receiver and the edge of the PS2, which could lead people to think it's not all the way in.

As for the controller, it's very comfortable. It's a slightly different shape to the Dualshock 2, in my opinion, for the better. It has a smooth, matt finish which isn't rough on the hands but gives a good level of grip. The analogue sticks seem very slightly less stiff to me. In a matter of opinion, this could be better or worse. They certainly move smoothly.

I was a little unsure of the lack of a power button. But this is Logitech. I have a wireless Logitech mouse and it has great automatic power management, so I trust them with this controller. It turns itself off unless it has a connection to the PS2 and it automatically turns on when the console is turned on. If you press one of the buttons while it's "switched off" it will search for a connection for a few seconds. If it doesn't find a connection it will go back to off mode.

I've had no connection problems after a good while of constant use. One problem I've had with other wireless controllers before is that they sometimes randomly search for a connection in the middle of some play. None of that with this controller.

It's more expensive than most of the competition, but in my opinion it's totally worth it.

House Of The Dead [DVD]
House Of The Dead [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jonathan Cherry
Offered by WorldCinema

1.0 out of 5 stars Truely Awful, 11 April 2006
This review is from: House Of The Dead [DVD] (DVD)
This is the worst film I've seen for a long time. It has no plot. Some teenagers go to an island for a rave, which turns out to be deserted. Some zombies turn up. There's lots of shooting. Then it finishes with all but one of the characters dead.
The direction was very amateurish. We see people running through a forest, quick shots of a zombie's face by a tree, more shots of people running, a shot of a video game, a shadow of someone running and then a shot of another zombie by a tree.
The dialogue was cringe-worthy and the acting was poor.