Profile for Sarah Franklin > Reviews

Content by Sarah Franklin

Sarah Franklin "Cat and book lover!" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Lionel Asbo: State of England
Lionel Asbo: State of England
by Martin Amis

2.0 out of 5 stars Uncomfortable..., 5 Sept. 2013
I have only been reading this for 15 pages but it is making me increasingly uncomfortable. To imagine Amis sitting in his no doubt huge house somewhere, writing about things he can never be so unfortunate to experience such as extreme poverty, living on a violent estate and having no hope of a decent education or job, or worse, just no hope, means I have to return this book to the library unread. I appreciate it is social satire, I get that completely, but I work with just such people on a deprived estate and believe me, not all the fifteen year olds are knocking off their thirty-something Grans (even though some of their Grans are indeed not much older). If Amis had experience of what he was writing about then his otherwise excellently descriptive prose would probably be hilarious reading, but I'm guessing he doesn't, and that's what is making me so uncomfortable. Dickens he is not.

The Life of Captain Reilly 1
The Life of Captain Reilly 1

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 4 May 2013
Very insightful. A great read. Too short though, needed more gossip! I really enjoyed this, and the revelations were great reading!

Walking on the Moon
Walking on the Moon
by Wallace Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my Mum, she thought it was very good., 4 May 2013
This review is from: Walking on the Moon (Paperback)
Bought for my Mum, she thought it was very good. She has read other books by the same authors and always enjoyed them.

Life with My Sister Madonna
Life with My Sister Madonna
by Christopher Ciccone

2.0 out of 5 stars Christopher Ciccone does not come over in the best light!, 4 May 2013
All the previous reviews have covered everything I was thinking about this book, but it is fair to say Christopher Ciccone does not portray himself well (presumably unintentionally). All us Madonna fans know she's ruthlessly single-minded when it comes to driving her own career, she's had to be, otherwise she would never have stayed at the top of her game for thirty years. That's part of her appeal for her fans I think, you always know that Madonna is giving 100% effort when you see her perform live, or in whatever else she is doing. I have been a fan since the beginning, and as a child of 9 I saved my birthday money to buy the 'like a virgin' album after seeing both her early performances on Top of the Pops. Therefore, I'm not sure who Christopher Ciccone is aiming his self-pitying book at, who's his audience? He is probably a very nice person who nonetheless feels his superstar sister could/should have done more for her little brother, but in all honesty why should she have? She masterminded her own career through her own hard work and determination, and along the way gave him so many opportunities that he would no doubt have never had otherwise. He states he will be forever grateful to her for it, but then goes on to complain that he had to fly coach, have smaller hotel rooms etc which smacks of sheer diva-ness; after all, she's the global superstar, not him! He admits that she was instrumental in getting him to leave his hometown, and even if that was as much for her own purposes as his, he still got to experience things that most people would never get the chance to do. It's a shame really; he doesn't give the impression that he's made the most of anything that has come his way over the last few decades, and that's sad because maybe when he's old he'll look back on his younger years and think 'why didn't I...?'
I hope that Christopher and Madonna are able to regain their former closeness, as they truly seem so alike and give the impression they honestly need each other. I do wonder what further impact this book had on their relationship though as I can't believe it helped that much.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi (Previous Generation - 5th)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't believe I was ever against the idea!, 20 Feb. 2013
Working in a library would suggest (according to some of my borrowers anyway) that I should hate e-book readers on sight as they are going to lead to the demise of my job and the closure of libraries everywhere, and when we ran a Kindle 'challenge' last year where people got to borrow a Kindle and trial it, the comments were universally negative, so I thought 'why would I bother?'
However, having just been giving this Kindle by a generous friend who has upgraded, I can't believe I was ever against the idea! While it will, of course, never replace the wholly joyous and unique sensation of opening a new book that is as yet unsullied by human finger oils, and breathing in the heady scent of crisp, fresh paper and newly printed ink, (oh the joy of new book deliveries! Yes, I'm sad but I don't care!!) this device is nonetheless a worthy edition to any avid reader's collection. I cannot read text on computers or an iPad without getting tired eyes and/or a headache after a short time, (I have to print out most of my study materials to read offline-sorry trees) so I wasn't sure whether reading on a Kindle would suit me, but it is fantastic! The screen isn't lit like a computer/iPad is, and therefore you get no nasty glare which can make your eyes feel so worn out, and the text is the perfect size for comfortable reading (although the size of it can be altered any time you may feel the need) and best of all I have synchronised it to my amazon account which means effortless downloading of books whenever I am in wifi range, and plenty of space to store materials for when I'm not. The side buttons for forwarding and reversing page progress are fantastically straightforward, and I worked out how to use all the features without reading the guide as it is that simple to get to grips with. If you are not a fan of computers don't worry; Kindle doesn't need to go anywhere near a PC as it is all self-contained (unless you are charging it that way of course, but I luckily have also been given the plug adapter so I can do it with that). All in all, this device is a superb addition to my reading enjoyment, and while it will never replace the feel, smell and look of a book for me, it is certainly going to get a lot of usage, especially when I am travelling somewhere or when the library is closed and I need something new to read!

Edwardian Anglesey: v. 2: A Pictorial History
Edwardian Anglesey: v. 2: A Pictorial History
by J.B. Cowell

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, fascinating images., 27 Oct. 2012
This book is wonderful; it has a fascinating selection of images from all over the Island, and a good selection from Amlwch which is where my maternal Grandmother spent her childhood, and where I most wanted to see old pictures from. The whole book is fascinating and really paints a picture of Anglesey in sadly long-gone times.

Victorian and Edwardian Wales from Old Photographs
Victorian and Edwardian Wales from Old Photographs
by Evan David Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 27 Oct. 2012
A wonderful book full of fascinating images. Highly recommended. There is also a parallel English and Welsh text for anyone who wishes to translate between the two for any reason. Excellent selection of high quality B&W images. An old, but excellent, book.

Double Danger
Double Danger
by Margaret Thomson Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Lazy writing style, in this title at least., 27 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Double Danger (Paperback)
This was the first MTD book I have read and it seemed an interesting story from the back cover so I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, it very quickly became evident that no editor's eye had been cast over this book as the prose is what I can only describe as 'clunky' meaning it is not a comfortable experience for the reader at all. There are repeated expressions and words throughout, which quickly become annoying, and the characters are frighteningly underdeveloped which means you tire if them quickly. I felt no fondness for the lead character at all, finding her naive, spoilt and extremely annoying, and her dismissal at the suggestion her unprotected, 'constant lovemaking' with her new man could leave her pregnant, as frankly mind-bogglingley irresponsible. Despite this, I persevered with this book which is unusual for me if I immediately don't like a story, however I thought I would give the author the benefit of the doubt and read on, just to see if the prose improved. Unfortunately though, this story just keeps tripping over itself in its haste to progress, and it's obvious that 159 pages are nowhere near enough to tell it satisfactorily. For instance, at the start of page 50 the twins that annoying Jessica has given birth to are only a few months old, however at the end of that paragraph they are now "ready to go to the local primary school". Did nothing else of note take place in that 4-5 year period? Obviously not, so maybe we're spared her droll life story, for a while at least.
Maybe the most annoying part of this story though is the author's woeful misunderstanding of how young women's priorities have changed over the last few decades, and that few women would let their husbands dictate to them the way Jessica's does, or how he clearly doesn't respect a word she says (although, as already mentioned, she is supremely irritating so maybe he realises that too and is glad he works thousands of miles away?) The character is so one-dimensional and out of touch with a modern young woman that it's laughable at times, and the plot 'twists' at the end just feel like they've been stuck in as the author was running out of time and space to put much more onto paper. If this had been a much longer book then I would have given up on it as I don't waste my time reading a book I'm not enjoying, and I only completed it due to the fact it was so short and would take no time at all. However, even taking that into consideration I feel cheated that I bothered to use up minutes on this book that I can never get back, and all I can imagine is that this author is so well-respected and renowned that her publishers don't feel the need to edit or proof-read her books as she has written so many. Wrong. She may well be an incredibly good writer and have written some marvellous titles in the past, however I will sadly never discover them as will be unlikely to ever pick anything up by this author again, just in case it's as I'd as this title.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2013 7:43 PM BST

Successful Television Comedy Writing: From Gags to Riches
Successful Television Comedy Writing: From Gags to Riches
by Val Andrews

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but still a goodie!, 19 Oct. 2012
This book may have been written in 1962 but the advice is just as relevant today for an would-be comedy writer, as much of the sound, sensible advice is timeless. This is not a book telling you how to be funny; after all, no book can 'teach' someone that if they don't have a natural penchant for it, but rather it is a sensible set of facts and advice interspersed with clips of comedy scripts that are as funny today as when they were written, proof that real comedy is indeed timeless. I just flicked through a few pages as I packed this book up to ship it, and I admit I found the scripts hilarious! There again, I do have a somewhat 'classic' sense of humour (Morecambe and Wise, Tommy Cooper, The Goons, Monty Python etc) so perhaps if you don't you wouldn't find it as funny, but nevertheless this book has definitely stood the test of time for me!

VFR Real Scenery - The Collection (PC DVD)
VFR Real Scenery - The Collection (PC DVD)

4.0 out of 5 stars More realistic than the competitors..., 11 May 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I tried the Horizon VFR and it was very good. Then I tried the JustFlight VFR scenery and I thought it was superb. Horizons scenery is more colourful, but realistically, in the real world, JustFlight's VFR real scenery looks more realistic. It comes with very good mesh scenery too which accurately gives the hills, mountains and valleys of the UK. I fly over the Malvern hills, then south to land at Glouster, and the detail and quality is excellent. (I can compare the views to real life!;-))
This pack is ESSENTIAL for anyone wanting a real representation of the views experienced by real world pilots.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5