Profile for GordonR > Reviews

Content by GordonR

GordonR "hugepants"

Page: 1 | 2
Kestronics ltd® Black 20mm Lanyard with breakaway and zinc alloy clip PLUS CARDHOLDER
Offered by Kestronics Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great., 22 Nov. 2014
Well made product at an exceptional price. Fast free delivery.

Dr. Martens Mens Kenyon Desert Boots
Dr. Martens Mens Kenyon Desert Boots

5.0 out of 5 stars Stylish & Comfy, 27 Oct. 2013
A classic chukka boot style with the trademark Dr Martens sole. Right out the box these shoes are a comfortable, roomy fit. Dr Marens have had the good sense to omit their traditional yellow stitching on these boots and make the upper rim of the sole a black colour, making them perfect to wear either casual or even with a suit, which I intend to do...

Mercers Furniture Corona Sideboard, Wood, Antique Pine, Large
Mercers Furniture Corona Sideboard, Wood, Antique Pine, Large

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks Good, but...., 12 Sept. 2013
The unit itself is sturdy and solid, and looks really good where is was bought to sit in the house. However, the packaging was terrible. The wood rattled about in the cardboard on delivery. Slight damage to the backboard, but not worth the hassle of contacting the seller again. The instructions were appalling and it was pretty much down to common sense how to construct the cabinet. None of the screw holes matched, which was very confusing and also led to drawers ending up being damaged slightly. Finally, the £15 'express' delivery charge is a joke. It took four days to arrive. That is not express delivery. Also noted that the delivery price strangely increased from £10 on the afternoon of looking at the cabinet, to £15 on the evening when the order was placed.... The cabinet deserves 4 or 5 stars for the way it looks and the potential to be an outstanding piece of furniture, but the above points mark it down unfortunately. If I was less generous I'd probably only give it two stars.

Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch
Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS Running Watch
Offered by You Want One

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Running Watch, 5 July 2013
I noted from a previous review that, if buying this item from a company called "Outdoor Hero", only a US adaptor is provided. So it was with some trepidation that I opened the box of my Garmin 610, unsure of what I would find inside. It would appear that someone at either Outdoor Hero or Amazon has taken steps to remedy this issue, by providing a shaver adaptor and a shaver plug that allows you use UK sockets. Initially I thought that was a good idea. However, without actually trying to assemble the adapters to charge my Garmin I soon realised that this was not practical at all, especially if you intend to plug the whole contraption into a wall socket. Additionally, the shaver adaptor and shaver plug provided are cheap and I don't think I would trust them... I plugged the watch into my iPhone adaptor which works perfectly. When I got the 610 it was at 65% power, but I followed the instructions & fully charged the unit. It took less than an hour. I have had to charge the watch a second time and I do like the magnetic charging clip. The 305 could be temperamental if the charging points on the back of the unit got dirty.

So the watch itself... The watch itself is very light. I don't think it is any larger than a normal mans watch. (Certainly not the one I wear.) The strap is very 'plasticky' and the strap holes are large. I found it quite awkward to get the strap into the 'retaining loop' due to the rigidity of the strap, but I'm sure with use I'll get used to it.

Initially I found it quite difficult to manoeuvre through the screens/options. You have to press quite firmly, (as it instructs in the quick set up manual), but I wasn't sure how firm. For a wee while whilst playing about with the watch I felt that it had a mind of its own and found it quite frustrating that the slightest touch seemed to move screens unintentionally. However, with constant 'playing' with the watch I think I have found the required pressure to move about the screens with confidence. I think the touchscreen is supposed to speed up the process of moving about the different functions on the watch, but I'm not convinced it does. Once I had put in all the data required, (age, weight, etc.), and set the screens to my choice data to be displayed, there really isn't any need to scroll through screens.

On first taking the watch outside it picked up a satellite within 30 secs. Personally, I have found this faster than my Forerunner 305. When I first received the 610 I tried locating satellites when it was a clear sky and when it was cloudy & rainy. Both come in at under 30 secs. However, when I used it on my first run, it took a bit longer, to the point that I thought something was wrong with the watch. However, on my second run it located the satellite from the same location in well under 30 secs. This rapid speed has continued until recently when I did an evening run instead of a morning run. Again, it took quite some time to locate a satellite. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to how long it takes the watch to locate satellites as I have used it in all weathers and different times of the day.

I have set the watch to vibrate at every kilometre, which I find extremely useful. With the 305 it was a matter of checking every so often to make sure I could see my kilometre times and often I missed it. With the vibration alert I can concentrate on running and check the watch when it vibrates. Great addition to the Forerunner 610.

The user has the opportunity to customise the training screens so you can study data of your choice. I have three data fields on the front screen - distance, time lapsed, & pace. I have set up the other screens for average pace, best pace, calories burned & final lap distance. However, whilst running I have had no need to scroll through the screens to check this other data. I tend to refer to it after my run.

To upload the data on the 610 to the Garmin Connect site you use the ANT Agent wireless 'memory stick'. First you have to go to the Garmin site and download the required software and it should be pretty straight forward. The instructions in the quick set up manual isn't clear about this, but once you have downloaded the software the upload is straight forward. I have managed to upload data onto my MacBook, but the software will not download onto my laptop. Despite e-mailing Garmin support for advice, they have failed to respond, which is poor. If I only had the use of the laptop the watch would be pretty much obsolete.

I am not finding the GPS on the 610 any more accurate than the 305. In fact, after my latest run the 610 measured a regular route that I run 150 metres longer. Hmm not too sure about that.

All in all, I am impressed with the Forerunner 610. It is one of Garmin's up to date models and should keep me going for a while. However, if you already have the Forerunner 305 I wouldn't rush out to buy the 610. Basically the two watches do exactly the same thing. The only improvement I can see to the 610 is the vibrate alert, which is superb.

Would I recommend the Forerunner 610? If you don't have a Garmin then yes, definitely. If you already own the 305, I wouldn't rush to swap just yet.

iPhone 4 / iPhone 4S Armband - Black Armband Case Holder for iPhone 3G 3GS 4 4S - iPod Touch 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Gen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but..., 14 Feb. 2012
What you get is a black neoprene armband with a pocket that fits the Apple iPhone, (without its bumper). The armband is secured to the arm by a velcro strap. There are a couple of pros to this armband, but also there are a couple of cons too:

PRO: The phone slips into the holding pouch snugly and the clear window does not interfere with the phones functuality. The touch screen worked perfectly when in the pouch.
CON: There is no strap/flap at the top of the pouch to ensure the phone stays in place. I never felt that the phone was ever in threat of coming out, but maybe if used when mountain biking or some other sport that would encounter sudden jolts, is may be a problem.

PRO: The armband sits comfortably on the arm and designed to mould to the shape of the arm.
CON: The armband does not have an elastic strap that will flex with the upper arm when moving. This meant that I was never sure whether the armband was tight enough or not. Too tight and the muscle hurt. Too loose and it was just going to slip down. On returning from my run when I took my jacket off, (the armband was worn underneath), I found that the armband just slipped down my arm. If the strap had been elasticated this would not have happened.

PRO: The is a small pocket next to the phone pouch that will fit a house key, or locker key and/or some coins if you want to stop and buy a drink on your run.
CON: I found that the armband absorbed sweat through the neoprene backing that meant the phone was not 100% dry when I got home. I'm concerned that this could become a problem on longer runs or indeed if it rains.

However, for the price this is a great armband. I have knocked a star off the review due to the lack of flexibility in the arm strap and the fact the neoprene absorbed sweat.

Prayer For Barney Thomson
Prayer For Barney Thomson
by Douglas Lindsay

5.0 out of 5 stars Barney For Prime Minister!!, 30 Aug. 2002
The hero of the book, Barney Thomson, has once again evaded the long arm of the law and is drawn back to his home town of Glasgow. Unfortunately, life on the run is not for Barney and he hands himself in at the local police station - only to be told that he is th 300th Barney Thomson willing to give himself up. What now? If the police don't want him, what will he do next? As if by fate he is drawn to a barbers shop with a vacancy for Barney's talents. Soon he is behind the chair doing what he lives to do. However, it is not long before murder follows behind him and again Barney is being blamed for the most recent spate of murders in Glasgow. Neither is it long before Strathclyde's crime busting duo, Mulholland and Proudfoot, are on his trail once more - although this time under duress from the Chief Constable.
It is not long before murder and mayhem ensue once more and needless to say Barney finds himself in the centre of it, when all he wants is to have sex with the local leader of his branch of "Murderers Anonymous"! Yet again the humour is superb and in your face. One chapter in particular- where Barney and his new boss are visited by a consultant offering his services - had me rolling about in laughter. Likewise, Barney's efforts at poetry, in a bid to en-trance the woman of his desires, is hilarious.
To top it all the plot is excellent with a few good twists, and even if you work out the real murderer's identity early on, the motive will have you howling with laughter.

Quite Ugly One Morning
Quite Ugly One Morning
by Christopher Brookmyre

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but only just..., 30 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
Another book bought on the recommendation of Amazon. The book got off to a superb start with a gruesome murder, but a lot of great humour from the investigating police. I also enjoyed the fact that I recognised all the places mentioned in the book even though they had ficticious names. This helped greatly in picturing the various scenes throughout the book. Throughout the book there was some superb humour that had me laughing out loud. Indeed, there were times that I couldn't put the book down as the pace picked up in the storyline. Unfortunately, (now the bad points!), the story seemed to splutter and stutter along and became very slow and tiresome at some points. The storyline had more than it's fair shair of cliches and one thing that really started to irritate me was the main character - a journalist - being called names like "hack" and "scoop". Who outwith journalistic and American pulp fiction books actually uses words like that??
On a plus though, it has some tremendous humour and a great plot that wasn't exploited to it's best advantage. Worth a read on a rainy day.

Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men
Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men
by Colin Bateman

5.0 out of 5 stars Starkey Goes Stateside!, 22 Aug. 2002
Dan Starkey, ex-journalist, book writer, marriage wrecker, and international man of disaster extraordinaire is back! This is the second novel of Colin Bateman's involving the adventures of hapless and constantly helpless Dan Starkey. This time round Starkey is commissioned to write a biography on Northern Ireland's answer to Mike Tyson! Bobby "Fat Boy" McMasters is the best thing in Europe, (or so his manager, Geordie McClean, small time gangster, would have you believe.) Unfortunately, Starkey isn't convinced and is sure to drop the occasional hint in his typically subtle style - like a lead brick in a swimming pool!! Starkey becomes even more unconvinced when he finds out that McMasters is going after the World Heavyweight title against none other than Tyson himself! Starkey tags along with the McMasters entourage to New York where the fight is to be staged on St Patrick's Day. It isn't long before things begin to go haywire. Starkey, a self confessed coward tries desperately to avoid trouble, but as usual is always found at the centre of it!!
This is another superb effort from Bateman who has managed to keep the pace of this story fast and furious. The usual twists are added to the tale, so just when you think every thing's easy to work out you find that he has led you up a blind alley. Bateman has an uncanny talent of taking you to the edge of suspense just like the cliffhangers from the old black & white "Flash Gordon" episodes. However, unlike in the following episode of Flash Gordon, there is no happen ending or miraculous rescue and Bateman pushes you over the edge. However, just as you are free falling he snatches you back and the tale takes off at its usual breakneck speed. Then to top it all he throws in the black humour that has you laughing out loud at the most awful of situations...

Divorcing Jack
Divorcing Jack
by Colin Bateman

4.0 out of 5 stars Adultrers of the world beware!!, 18 Aug. 2002
This review is from: Divorcing Jack (Paperback)
Dan Starkey, journalist, drunk, party animal, and married man - only just... This story begins when Starkey is caught in an awkward position with a female aquaintence, by his wife. Next thing he knows he stands accused of two murders, has both Republican and Loyalist terrorists chasing him, and is befriended by a gun totting nun who will not accept no for an answer when she is collecting money for, "...the wee black babies."
What entails is a riotously hilarious roller coaster ride in which Starkey tries desperately to win back his wife and his life. This book has you on the edge of your seat as the plot is pushed to the brink and then some. Just when you think that it'll all be alright, things get worse, but you will be laughing out loud as our hero bounces from one castrophe to another all for the sake of peace in Northern Ireland.
This was Colin Bateman's debut novel and he set a superb precedent for any follow-ups, as the story and the writing are both enthralling and highly amusing. And the best thing is, he constantly excels himself as his novels get better and better.

The Cutting Edge Of Barney Thomson
The Cutting Edge Of Barney Thomson
by Douglas Lindsay

3.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Humour - Tremendous Read, 18 Aug. 2002
I bought this book mainly on the basis of a recommendation from amazon, as it appeared to be in the same vein as other authors I had enjoyed recently, such as Colin Bateman. However, when I started reading the book I was initially disappointed, as the style of writing was completely different from anything I had read before, and it took me a while to adjust and settle into it. Although I struggled at the beginning, I soon got to grips with the author's writing and I'm glad. This is without doubt a hilarious book.
It centres on Barney Thomson, an alledged serial killer and barber from Glasgow, who is on the run from the police when his heinous crimes come to light. Thomson decides to take refuge in a monastrey in the north west of Scotland where the Brothers have very little to do with the outside world. This is the place where Thomson feels he will have time to contemplate his next move and prove his innocence to a world that has him guilty of every goal ever missed by the Scottish World Cup Squad, and any other crime known to man into the bargain! Unfortunately for Thomson, it is not long before murder follows him to this place of sanctuary and the Brother monks start to fall like flies. More unfortunately for our hero, all clues to the identity of the murderer seem to lead to him!!
So as Thomson tries desperately to exonerate himself and bring the real murderer to justice, he is unaware that two of Strathclyde Constabulary's finest are on his trail - albeit a trail that is a week and a half late!! DCI Mulholland and DS Proudfoot blaze a trail over the highlands of Scotland in a bid to capture this serial barber and bring him to justice. En route they encounter a society of plain living, highland folk who are more interested in feeding guests tea and cakes and discussing philosphy. Eventually the "Polis" and Barney Thomson almost meet, but will they join forces to capture the real killer?
The storyline is fast paced and the humour is tremendous. The plot is straight forward and although you may finger the real killer early on, the motive for the killings will have you rolling about with laughter.

Page: 1 | 2