Profile for Rebekah Ford > Reviews

Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: An Evidence-Based Guide to Recovery
Overcoming Multiple Sclerosis: An Evidence-Based Guide to Recovery
by George Jelinek
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars There Is Recovery Through Hope, Determination And Nutrition If You Take Control, 2 Sep 2010
I have had MS for 10 years at the benign end of the scale. I have for the most part stayed very well but recently lapsed in my health care and stopped exercising, started drinking cows milk, put on weight and suffered from bouts of depression. I had my second relapse just 3 weeks ago and realised how much I've strayed from well-being in the past 2 or so years.

As a result of the relapse I found George Jelinek's website and subsequently bought the book after listening to some of his radio interviews. The only other book that I've read that gave me hope like this was Judy Graham's MS A Self Help Guide when I was first diagnosed. That book was a real life saver at the time but Jelinek's book, 10 years on, is a real beacon of hope in what is, for us with MS, sometimes a dark and frightening place. I'd become complacent over the years and forgotten that I could control the progression with diet and exercise and most importantly, hope. I found his research very thorough; the ideas about connecting my mind and body through meditation and counselling refreshing. I switched to a vegan and fish diet as soon as I read it and severely cut down all saturated fats from my diet as far as is possible. Everything I've eaten on this regime so far has been delicious. I also rejoined the gym and have started taking time to meditate.

I'm nearly recovered from the physical effects of my relapse and thanks to reading this book I have started to recover from the psychological effects because I've realised that I'm able to have some significant control over this disease and that realisation is the most important part of the recovery.

SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide
SSH, The Secure Shell: The Definitive Guide
by Daniel J. Barrett
Price: 28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Reading, 16 Jan 2008
I have a lot of web experience and have been designing and developing for many years. However I have never really got to grips with SSH until I was forced to for a project and started reading this book. It's written from a conceptual point of view so that you can understand the theory before trying the practice and lifts so many mysteries as a result.

Essential Portuguese Grammar (Dover Language Guides Essential Grammar)
Essential Portuguese Grammar (Dover Language Guides Essential Grammar)
by Alexander da R. Prista
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars easy grammar, 15 May 2005
I've had this book now for 3 years. At first, I could only read a few sections as I begun to learn the basics in a begginer's class. As I progressed in Portuguese I found this book to be more and more valuable. It has helped me understand the most complicated niggling & annoying questions I've had about Portuguese sentence structures, and at the right times it seems. I would recommend it as along term companion rather than an instance fix as it is one of those useful books that you can't be without if you're going to invest long term in this language.