Profile for L. Baynham > Reviews

Content by L. Baynham

L. Baynham "Ms. PrimandProper" (London, UK)

Aladdin 0.6 Litre Aveo Water Bottle Grey Future Insights
Aladdin 0.6 Litre Aveo Water Bottle Grey Future Insights

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS WATER BOTTLE!, 23 Dec 2013
Did I mention that I love this water bottle? I wanted a water bottle for my desk at work as I always noticed how much more water I drink when I can do so out of my own cistern. Initially I thought I might prefer a glass water bottle, having had experience drinking from one while I was temping at another company. However, while I loved that the water didn't have an aftertaste with the glass bottle, I knew that with my clumsy self, before long I would look like an idiot at work by sending my glass water bottle shattering all over the floor of the office.

So, I was determined to find a water bottle that fit in with my clumsy lifestyle but still gave me the flavourless flavour I have come to crave in water. When I happened upon this badboy, I knew I'd hit the jackpot.

The water bottle is long and thin with a gorgeous pattern on it that makes the water look oh so purdy! I also get no yucky aftertaste - score! I like the wide opening for drinking as you get a proper mouthful, like others have said. Additionally, it doesn't leak. Even when I'm too lazy to wash it out before the weekend and just throw it in my draw with water still in it - I come back to work on Monday and that important quarterly report that acted as a bed for my bottle is still dry as a bone!

The only negative is the strap, I think. It's not detachable, which makes me think in time it will get rather grotty if it gets wet from washing. I am super careful with it, however, so thus far I have been able to avoid getting it wet in the sink, thus this potential negative has not been enough to make me drop my review down a star.

I cannot recommend it more.

Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong
Curly Like Me: How to Grow Your Hair Healthy, Long, and Strong
by Teri LaFlesh

5.0 out of 5 stars My only regret...that I didn't know about this sooner!!!, 21 May 2010
I write this review as I sit here with my conditioner-laden, oh-so-defined teeny weeny afro in air dry mode. I've just finished reading "Curly Like Me" and I want to scream from the rooftops: "I've uncovered the Holy Grail of natural afro-textured hair care!!!"

If you're 1/10th as skeptical as I am when it comes to claims of a great hair technique, you'll want to know my credentials to see whether or not I'm qualified to make such a bold claim.

I'm biracial. My father is black and my mother is white. However, growing up, when asked the infamous "What are you?" question - all you mixed chicks know what I'm talking about - I would always apologetically suffix my reply with "...but I just don't have biracial hair". My brother has jet black big loose curls, but from infancy I was dubbed the one with the "bad hair" (not by my loving parents however, just the rest of the world). I believed it mind, body and soul. Why else would my evil hairdresser aunt force a relaxer on me when I was but a preschooler? Something must be very very wrong with my hair, I thought, since even with a relaxer it was an unruly Simba-mane. (I really did look like I belonged on The Lion King).

So, up until 10 months ago, I thought I couldn't live without the relaxer. Then one day several months ago, I decided to stretch my standard every 3 or 4 month relaxer fix by doing straw sets since it was so damaged. Time kept going and soon I was 6 then 7 months post, but with no thoughts of going natural. Then on month 8, a funny thing happened. For the first time, I really felt my new growth as I was washing my hair, what's this? Then I looked at it...CURLS?!?! Tight small spirally things growing from my head? YES! MY HEAD!

I began lurking on afo-textured hair care forums and other sites and began soaking up the knowledge from the ladies in the natural hair community. But, I feared that my hair wouldn't dry curly, that it would just turn into a hard matted Simba-poof; plus there was NO WAY I wanted to cut my hair.

About six weeks ago I heard about Teri LaFlesh and her method for the first time as I was lurking on a hair forum. I went to her site, [...] and I saw this biracial chick with hair to her butt. My instinctual reaction: jealousy and shame. All the feelings of my childhood rushed back. As a child, I would see biracial children with beautiful curls, soft and flowing or tight and spirally and I would be overcome with jealousy. I would see their hair flow down their backs whereas my relaxed ends seemed to be allergic to touching my shoulders and broke off at the sight of them.

What could this little hair queen teach me, I wondered. Surely our hairs have nothing in common! Then I saw her photo history; then I was floored. Her hair used to be a matted, relaxed Simba-explosion, like mine! Not a pretty cottony afro, not kinky spirals, but an evil, crunchy broken poof! I came to see that with her many hair disasters she could relate to me, and I began to become a Tightly Curly convert.

Fast forward a few weeks later as I waited with bated breath on THIS book to be released. At the end of April I snapped it up and bit into it like a...like a...like a person who really wanted to bite into something!

One day when I was reading it, I tried my Herbal Essences Hello Hydration on a bit of my hair where the relaxer had broken off to see if it would make curls and dry like that. I didn't think it would work. But it did!!! I began to see that other natural chicks with even tighter curls had done the method and experienced success. The scales began to drop from my eyes and I began to appreciate that there really is no such thing as "bad hair" after all. I came to appreciate that any hair that is healthy, happy and loved by its owner is "good hair", and I wanted good hair too.

Though the Tightly Curly Method is explained on the website, it is explained in greater detail in the book. I especially love the "Choosing Shampoos & Conditioners: What to Avoid" sections in the book as, since I don't live in the States, only a few of the recommended shampoos and conditioners are available. The book empowers me to find my own POOs and COs with in the recommended guidelines.

Teri has also gone to a lot of trouble uncovering hair and ingredient myths. Also, she describes on a molecular level what you're really doing when chemically altering your hair. I'm no scientist so I can't attest to the accuracy of her statements. However, I can say that what she had to say was scary enough to make me never want to hurt my hair with relaxers again. Ever.

I had originally planned to transition for another 6 months or so. But less than a week ago, when I was nearly done with the book, I was convinced that there was no reason for me to hold back. So, on that fateful Saturday afternoon of, May 1, 2010, I cut, I conditioned, I defined and I left in. FINALLY SOMETHING THAT WORKS!!!

I wish she had included in the book exactly how she came to discover this method, but that doesn't take away from the fact that this method works.

And so, dear reader, if you have tightly curly hair, do yourself a favour and purchase this book. Your hair will thank you, and it will thank Teri.

To Teri LaFlesh, thank you so much. My hair wants to be just like yours when it grows up.

To my hair, I promise from now on to love you unconditionally but always with plenty conditioner!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 11, 2013 10:08 PM GMT

He's Just Not That Into You [DVD]
He's Just Not That Into You [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Aniston
Offered by streetsahead

4.0 out of 5 stars "He's Just Not That Into You" - Your date-by-numbers guide!, 19 May 2009
Hey, you...stop sitting by the phone waiting for him to call...get up and go watch this movie!

I have to admit, I'm not much of a rom-com watcher. Unlike others of its ilk, though, this flick wisely admits that relationships aren't all rainbows and butterflies, but that they are complicated, confusing, messes that aren't necessarily all sorted out by the time the credits roll.

The premise is simple enough - the film claims:

"If a guy says he'll call and doesn't, he's not in the hospital with a broken number-dialing finger; he's just not that into you".

After a mediocre first date with pre-recession real estate agent Conor (Kevin Connolly), the film's main protagonist Gigi (Ginnifer Goodwin), over zealous for date success and naively optimistic as ever, is certain that she has found Mr. Right. But when he doesn't call, her friends (Jennifer Aniston as Beth and Jennifer Connelly as Janine) comfort her with assurances of his interest and case studies of how they knew someone who knew someone in the exact situation - and it worked out for them, of course!

Not that Beth or Janine are living it up in the mansion of romantic bliss, mind you. Aniston's character has been living with Neil (Ben Affleck) for seven years, and for five of the seven, she's been dying to know why he won't pop the question. Wholly against the institution of marriage, though, Neil says that he's totally committed to her and he doesn't need a piece of paper to prove...yadda, yadda, yadda.

Connelly's character Janine on the other hand is married. Happily? Not so much. Ben's (Bradley Cooper) baby blues are soon tempted toward blonder waters when he meets Anna (Scarlet Johansson) at a convenience store one fine evening; how convenient. Too bad he's married, he reasons.

Drew Barrymore easily plays Mary, Anna's friend. Her role is pretty forgettable; but then she did spend most of her time producing the movie.

Justin Long plays Alex, the woman conquering bar owner who decides to school Gigi in the thinking of men, no feelings spared.

For the most part the story lines are tied together in believable ways and it's interesting to watch just how they're all connected - kind of like 6 degrees of separation.

A tough pill to swallow:

Perhaps too realistic at times, "He's Just" exposes the well-intentioned way we women attempt to comfort our spurned friends - not with assurances that despite her many attractive qualities, the guy just isn't interested for one reason or another. Instead, we assure our friends that there is no way he could be uninterested.
Really ladies, if you suspect that your friend is dating a guy who can't see her true worth, before you swell her head with an idealized, irresistible image of herself, please take her to see this movie, and let her do some soul searching. The film will do all the talking for you without patronization.

Be warned:

It's hardly a date movie (unless you want to end the date by breaking up when the scales have dropped from your eyes and you realize that you're more "into" the relationship than your significant other).

Best performances from: Jennifer Connelly as Janine who is more obsessed with the idea that her husband is smoking behind her back than that he is having an affair. Ginnifer Goodwin too has earned her keep. Her embarrassing attempts at securing "the one" are so realistic you will likely find yourself reddening at the all too familiar lengths to which she goes.

Best line from the movie: Listen out for the line the guy uses who ends up with Gigi (won't say who ;-)), it could be the "You complete me" of the 21st century!

Disclaimer:
This film may cause some discomfort. Side effects are generally mild and may include feelings of embarrassment over previous postdate obsession/stalking.

4.5 stars.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars "He's Just Not That Into You" - Your date-by-numbers guide!, 13 Feb 2009

The premise is simple enough - the film claims: