Profile for Howard Davies > Reviews

Content by Howard Davies

Howard Davies (MILTON KEYNES, BUCKS United Kingdom)

Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
Kafka On The Shore (Vintage Magic)
by Haruki Murakami

5.0 out of 5 stars magic, 27 Oct 2005
As I've found with some other Murakami books, when I reached the end I was a little troubled by some of the "loose ends" that he doesn't quite tie up. So why would I rate it with 5 stars? The fact is that even an imperfect Murakami is still, for me, one of the most exciting reads around. There is somehow always a "rightness" about everything so that you feel that even the unexplained weirdnesses could not have been otherwise, and, anyway, you're prepared to swallow any absurdities just so you can go on reading his poetic, beautifully descriptive prose.
Perhaps because of this "rightness", but also because of the many times I find myself laughing out loud - not so much at his humour, although there is plenty of that, but more in sheer delight at some bizarre but beautifully contrived scene - I have found that Murakami's books are particularly memorable. Unusually, for me, I will definitely keep them on my bookshelf and refer back to them.
A word of warning - if you're a cat lover there is one chapter that you may find hard to take. It's almost as though he thought "while I'm having a go at incest I might as well do cruelty as well". The book is not really about those things though. It is a surrealistic, poetic, intellectual adventure.