Profile for Jacob Sanders > Reviews

Content by Jacob Sanders

Jacob Sanders (North Warwickshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
Black Rain
Black Rain

4.0 out of 5 stars Ozzy just doesn't wanna stop...and damn right!, 31 May 2007
This review is from: Black Rain (Audio CD)
I only ever buy CD's for the car, listening to music one the too and from work really helps me chill, I was suprised to find this album totally enjoyable. Fantastic driving music. Unlike Ozzy's 2001 CD release, this album is a mix of modern, yet classic Sabbath-esque tracks. 'I Don't Wanna Stop' is the first release from the CD and it's a real catchy track with a brilliant guitar solo 3/4 the way through. The title track is brilliant, reminds me of really early Sabbath stuff and 'Lay Your World on Me' is kind of a mix between Changes and Momma I'm Coming Home, it's easily one of the best, hauntingly eerie tracks on the album.

With a mix of modern and classic sounds, the overall album proves that Ozzy Osbourne has alot of kick left in him. ALL of the songs were co-written by the man himself, the only song I feel let's this album down is 'The Almighty Dollar' it seems to be about nothing particular and it's harsh on the ears.

Everything else is top notch! Welcome back Ozzy!

Tales Don't Tell Themselves (UK CD)
Tales Don't Tell Themselves (UK CD)
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars The lights are shining bright and it's time to dance..., 15 May 2007
FFAF have been slammed straight into the mainstream spotlight and not a minute to soon. The whole CD is fantastic. In some ways it's a total change from their earlier stuff, it goes to show that the band have grown onto a whole new level. I was kind of expecting to hear a whole bunch of emo-releated tracks, but was more than suprised to hear brilliantly clear vocals, superb music and fantasitc lyrics, making this one of the better albums I've purchased this year. Give it a try.

Send Away The Tigers
Send Away The Tigers
Offered by Bridge Media UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Send away the tigers...to eat MSP..., 15 May 2007
This review is from: Send Away The Tigers (Audio CD)
To be fair, I have only recently started to listen to the Manic Street Preachers, especially since James Dean Bradfield released his first solo single last year. I thought the effort was pretty good and the song was very catchy. Then along came 'Your Love Alone Is Not Enough', another brilliant MSP track, this time featuring Nina Persson of The Caridgans. Hearing this song put me in high hopes and gave me some anticipation for the release of this CD. The package arrived this morning and I put it on in my car as I set out about my day...Oh how I wish I had saved my excitment for something else.

The first track, Send Away The Tigers is a mess of sounds, with the bass and guitars drowning out the actual lyrics. Talk about headache music.

Then we move onto Underdogs, which is one of the strangest tracks on the entire CD. The horrible sounding chorus -

'This one's for the freaks, for the lost and weak, for the butterflies and devotees and the disciples of our destiny.'

What?!

Another strange sounding track, the vocals are alot more 'in there' but it's bad.

Moving onto Your Love Alone... one of my favourite tracks on this CD. Very catchy, great to sing along to, very enjoyable and having Nina's vocals in there make it even better...and I was never a fan of The Cardigans. Great upbeat, modern alternative listening right here.

Track four is Indian Summer, this is my second favourite on the album. Very light hearted and cheery song, this along with Autumnsong and Your Love Alone are the reasons I gave this CD a ** review. Song reminds me of somthing Snow Patrol would do. Very good indeed.

Second Great Depression really is depressing a drudgery of horrible guitar riffs and awkward sounding vocals make you want to either skip this track or remove the CD from the player and throw it out of the window.

Rendition really is a rendition of rubbish. This may seem like I have something against the 'Preachers, believe me, I don't, but the track sounds very much the same as their past releases, there's just nothing new here for me.

Autumnsong makes for great listening, could easily be their next single, however, I believe the next track will be their next release...and their next single to drop into the 50's of the chart within a week.

I'm Just a Patsy is the most ridiculous sounding song with the most ridiculous sounding track name I've ever heard. This will probably be their next release, I will swtich over whenever I see it on the TV or hear it on the radio. Sorry folks.

Imperial Bodybags is an interesting song, I thought that it maybe told a story, but it doesn't. It's just a mess of nonsence lyrics, it's not as bad as some of the other tracks, but I think I've gone too far into the album and already feel let down to say I remotley enjoy it.

The last track, Winterlovers is again an effort to sound like Snow Patrol or perhaps Keane. It's quite an uplifting and easy to listen to track, but again, I feel the Preachers have already upset the balance of what could have been an awesome CD.

Overall, it may sound like I have a strong dislike for the MSP, but at the end of the day, I was looking forward to this release and was dissapointed with the final product. It's nice to see that they're trying, but perhaps they're trying too hard. What's happened is the Preachers have attempted to inject a more modern interfance into their release and failed...horribly. Better luck next time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2009 9:19 PM BST

Arrested Development: Season 3 [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Arrested Development: Season 3 [DVD] [2004] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Arrested Development...same old stuff., 2 Jan. 2007
Don't get me wrong. I'm a huge fan of Arrested Development. Season 1 was outstanding, then along came Season 2, which I feel topped Season 1 by miles, however, Season 3 was released and well...well I didn't really enjoy it all that much. Same old gags, similar character interaction. Buster/Luciel, George Michael/Maybe, Buster/GOB ect.

Not only that, but the season is only 13 episodes long, compared to all 22 on the other two seasons, this DVD was a let down. I feel it could have been alot better.

One Cold Night
One Cold Night

5.0 out of 5 stars Seether + Acoustic = Perfect, 2 Jan. 2007
This review is from: One Cold Night (Audio CD)
I love Seether, their sound is totally different to any other modern day rock/metal bands out there. This CD/DVD combo is the ultimate must have for any Seether fans. To hear the pure and clear vocals of Shaun without any studio enhancment is a real pleasure. The album features a variety of Seether tracks from The Gift to Remedy and of course, Broken. Brilliant sounds and an awesome live DVD compliments the CD.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Book
Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Book
by Deirdre Dolan

5.0 out of 5 stars 'His boys are hangin' out all over the place', 2 Jan. 2007
I'm a huge fan of Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm, it wasn't until last Summer that I decided to purchase Season 1 on DVD, since then I was hooked.

I decided to check out this book, I must say, it's totally, utterly awesome. It's cramp packed with super info, episode guides, cast and crew interviews, exclusive images and maps of Santa Monica and the set locations, scripts and all!

If you enjoy the show, pick up this booked. Larry David really has some hilarious stories to tell. This is one purchase I am real proud of!

Extreme Behavior [Us Import]
Extreme Behavior [Us Import]
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning...and shocking..., 1 Nov. 2006
I hadn't heard of Hinder until I was watching the US version of TRL on MTV a couple of days ago. I heard 'Lips of an Angel' and enjoyed it, so I went a head and purchased the album, I wasn't sure what I was expecting from it, but it shocked me...no, it blew me away. The whole album is absolutley amazing.

It has a great mix of songs, from sad ones to feel-good tracks, there isn't a bad track on the whole CD.

Hinder, to me are a mix up between Nickleback, Collective Soul with adash of the Goo Goo Dolls, this is a must have CD.

Curb Your Enthusiasm: Complete HBO Season 2 [DVD] [2004]
Curb Your Enthusiasm: Complete HBO Season 2 [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Larry David

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't know comedy until you've seen CYE!, 5 Jun. 2006
I purchased this DVD after hearing good things about the CYE series. I received this not knowing what to expect, after watching the first 5 minutes of Episode 1, I couldn't stop laughing.

Larry David is constantly getting himself into sticky and awkward situations, often so awkward, you actually feel it in yourself.

If you like American comedy, this show defines that very word.

We Don't Need To Whisper
We Don't Need To Whisper

2.0 out of 5 stars No the best, not the best at all..., 5 Jun. 2006
I am a huge fan of Blink 182 and I love A&A's 'The Adventure', but this album is lacking alot of things.

Tom Delonge has some fantastic vocals, but he's the only one on the album that actually sings. Alot of the tracks have similar sounds and his voice is pretty much the same throughout.

This is a hit or miss, you either like it or you don't. It doesn't do anything for me, though.

Eyes Open
Eyes Open

5.0 out of 5 stars This album really 'opened my eyes', 5 Jun. 2006
This review is from: Eyes Open (Audio CD)
I had heard very good things about Snow Patrol and I enjoyed a couple of their songs from a few years ago, having never actually owned one of their albums, I wasn't sure what to expect with this.

After hearing "You're All I Have", their current single, I decided to buy the album and give it a try and all I can say is...wow!

The album features some fantastic tracks. Hands Open, Shut Your Eyes, Chasing Cars (Their next single) and pretty much everything else make this one of the best albums to date.

It's a rare occurance when you can purchase an album and enjoy every track, but with this, it would have to be the case. Absolutely fantastic, now that you've finished reading this, I reccomend buying it.

Great driving music, too.

Page: 1 | 2