Profile for Jacob Sanders > Reviews

Content by Jacob Sanders

Jacob Sanders (North Warwickshire, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Valachi Papers
The Valachi Papers
by Peter Maas

5.0 out of 5 stars A lie is half way around the world while the truth is still tying it's laces..., 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Valachi Papers (Paperback)
There's no doubt in my mind that Valachi perhaps 'fabricated' some of the stories he tells in this book, but hey, isn't that what the mob is all about?

One of the most in depth and interesting books I've ever read on the American Mafia. Peter Maas hits all the points and gets answers from nearly every aspect of mob-life that we've been curious about in such a way that you almost forget that what you're reading is mostly true.

An absolute page turner, it left me reeling at the end at how one man can be so brazen and it has left me longing to book another flight to New York and visit some of the places Valachi talks about.

I don't think there will ever be another detailed story of Mafia life such as this one.

The Devil All the Time
The Devil All the Time
by Donald Ray Pollock

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of life on the burning plains of America, 1 May 2014
This review is from: The Devil All the Time (Paperback)
Before I buy any book, I research it first. I rarely ever make a purchase because 'it's #1 in the book charts' or because 'over five trillion copies sold'. I buy a book because it's a little different or it's something new.

That's what I got with this book. Never before have I read such a story like this one where you can almost see, hear and smell everything Donald Ray Pollock describes. Everything from the gritty locations and surroundings to the collection of weird and bizarre people he writes about and it's all tied up in an absolutely perfect story.

Make no mistake about it, there's nothing nice hidden in these pages. It's raw, itchy eyed, grit in your teeth kind of stuff...and it's perfect!

Bruce Springsteen & The E St's London Calling: Live in Hyde Park [Blu-ray] [2010]
Dvd ~ Bruce Springsteen

5.0 out of 5 stars No retreat, baby no surrender..., 20 Jun 2010
Receieved Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band, London Calling: Live in Hyde Park this morning, 2 days before it's official release (thanks Amazon) and planned on watching half tonight and half tomorrow...three hours later and I've watched the whole thing, including the 2 bonus tracks.

What an absolutley incredible, heart pounding, rock and roll performance from one of the greatest Superstars in the world, Bruce Springsteen. He tears through every song with as much heart felt passion as the original recordings. The sound quality and picture detail on the Blu Ray version is out of this world...you feel as though your actually in the front row with all those other Springsteen fanatics.

I saw The Boss live at Hampden Park, the same year this show was recorded and you forget just how awesome he and the band really are. They're witty, enjoyable and just damn good fun to watch. Seeing Brian Fallon of the Gaslight Anthem join Springsteen on stage for No Surrender is one of the highlights of the show...just superb.

From start to finish, this is a heart pounding freight train journey through Springsteen's amazing archive of Americana music. Pop in the disk, sit back...or stand up, jump around and sing. If you're waiting on a sunny day this summer...this might just be it! 10/10.

District 9 [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
District 9 [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sharlto Copley

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of an Oscar?, 6 Feb 2010
The answer to the subject of this review is 'Yes'.

The fact is, this film has already been nominated for Best Picture at the 2010 Oscars, which is incredible. Considering this was first time film maker, Neil Blomkamp's debut movie, it's huge news that the movie has been nominated. Although, perhaps over shadowed by the likes of Avatar.

I'm not going to give anything away, but you need to see this movie. It's more than just sci-fi, it really is an incredible piece of film making, you feel both the emotions of the humans and the aliens, which is always good, topped off with incredible special effects and made using a mere $30,000,000 budget and not really promoted in the way that most blockbusters are these days, this film really is a diamond in the rough.

The transfer to Blu Ray is also crystal clear, you get a slight grain from time to time, but then again, some of the movie has that 'handheld' effect, similar to Cloverfield, so it doesn't really matter all that much.

Enjoy.

Nurse Jackie - Season 1 [DVD]
Nurse Jackie - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edie Falco

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of US TV..., 5 Feb 2010
After hearing very positive things about this show, I was pleased when I saw that BBC had decided to air the show...and at a reasonable time instead of 1 or 2am in the morning (The Wire, Arrested Development...Ahem!)

Although the first Season is yet to finish, I believe we're currently on episode 9 of 12 of an incredible show. The character building is really indepth and it shows 2 sides to Nurse Jackie, her work life and her family life. Although they only appear for short amounts of time during each episode, Jackie's husband and kids are also great characters. Mrs. Akalitus appears for a couple of minutes per episodes, but every time she's on screen, it's comedy gold...especially when she tasers herself!

For fans of House and other similar American comedy/drama's this show is well worth a watch...you won't be dissapointed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 8, 2010 7:27 PM GMT

Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray Disc Player - Black
Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-ray Disc Player - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best..., 21 Oct 2009
After deliberating for a couple of months about buying a Blu-Ray player (Is it worth it? Is the qaulity really that better? Ect...), I finally converted. I promised myself I would only buy the occasional Blu-Ray film due to the price, although, there really isn't a GREAT difference in price between a DVD and BD, three months down the line my collecton is now at 25 BD movies.

I only buy DVD's if i'm after a TV box set. All my movies are now Blu-Ray. Having owned Sky+ HD for almost a year, I was amazed by the quality of High Definition...that was until I plugged in this very BD player...WOW! I was blown away. The vibrant colours, the sound, the quality, the ease of use, everything.

I am now a BD convert and if you don't already own a BD player, go for this one. You will not be dissapointed. Of course, you need a good selection of films to watch...and I only buy good movies. Best for 1080 quality -

The Dark Knight (Especially the Imax scenes, which expand to fill the whole of the TV)
The Departed
Gran Torino
Watchmen

To name a few.

Weeds - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Weeds - Season 1 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mary-Louise Parker

5.0 out of 5 stars HIGH on your must buy list!, 3 May 2008
I purchased this DVD not knowing alot about the show, as I do with most American TV shows. I had heard about this show on TV, yet never actually watched it.

I've been stuck on it since. This delightfuly funny American comedy/drama is easily one of the best 'Desperate Housewives-esque' shows to come from our friends accross the pond in years.

Each episode follows on from the previous, without creating a too in depth story, so it's easy to choose and episode at random without having to watch from the beginning to know what is going on.

If you want a laid back comedy to chill out with, this quirky American satire is the ultimate watch. I've just been and purchased Season 2.

Batista Unleashed (WWE)
Batista Unleashed (WWE)
by Dave Batista

5.0 out of 5 stars The Animal unleashes his life on you!, 7 Mar 2008
As much as I enjoy reading auto-biogs on wrestlers, I often find it hard to really get into a story and enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I finish the books, but it takes me a while. Not with this. I can't seem to put it down. Not since Mick Foley's Hardcore Diary have I enjoyed a book so much. Batista gives you a no holds barred look into his life, from growing up on the streets of Washington to his very first win at WrestleMania. Batista tells it how it is and isn't afraid to speak the truth.

Entourage : Complete HBO Season 1 [2004] [DVD] [2006]
Entourage : Complete HBO Season 1 [2004] [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Piven
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Join the Entourage..., 20 July 2007
As a huge fan of American television, sitcoms, dramas and comedies, it's very hard to find a show that you feel you can watch over and over again without getting bored. Yes, you have Curb, Arrested Development and Scrubs, but every once in a while there comes a show that is simply better than all the rest. That show is Entourage.

Superb characters, Jeremy Piven is easily the best as Ari Gold actually based on the real life manager of Seinfeld and Curb sensation, Larry David. The story and flow of the series gel together along with witty comments, drama (no pun intended) and just an overall awesome series.

The show isn't all about the laughs, in typical HBO fashion, it swims along with a adult theme that makes the show feel 'grown up'. Give it a try, you'll be buying Season 2 in no time...

Live In Dublin
Live In Dublin

5.0 out of 5 stars It just get's better and better..., 21 Jun 2007
This review is from: Live In Dublin (Audio CD)
I purchased this CD when it was first released a couple of weeks ago. I'm a huge fan of Springsteens classic stuff. Badlands, The River ect. I wasn't quite sure what to expect and I can honestly say, I didn't expect to listen to such a richly fun and fantastic CD.

Bruce is performing with more of a gruff voice and turns some already brilliant folk songs into complete and utter masterpieces.

With classic tracks such as Atlantic City and Should I Fall Behind jazzed up and newer stuff such as American Land and Pay Me My Money Down, the CD has a wide range of music for everybody. There's also a hauntingly creepy version of When the Saints Go Marching In.

I've been playing the CD in the car and it really loads you with a positive attitude for work, ect.

Page: 1 | 2