Profile for Mr. A. V. P. Brett > Reviews

Content by Mr. A. V. P. Brett

Mr. A. V. P. Brett "Adrian Brett" (London UK)

The Velvet Rage: Overcoming the Pain of Growing Up Gay in a Straight Man's World
by Alan Down

2.0 out of 5 stars A book that promised much, but delivered little., 5 Jan 2011
At the beginning of this book I had several jaw dropping moments, hearing some one describe perfectly how my life had developed as a gay man from childhood in a generally homophobic world, and what was the source of my internal rage that I had endured throughout my life. 'The little boy with the big secret' as he so perfectly described it. Even the title of the book spoke to me, having harboured an unknown anger all my life that I was keen to make sense of. I was so keen to read on and hear what he had to say. I had read reviews before reading it saying that the book was indeed life changing. It certainly gave me that impression in the first few chapters that it might well be. But as the book progressed it all seemed so one dimensional. It assumed that all gay men are obsessive careerists, with perfect bodies, or the desire to have perfect bodies. Where I wondered was the advice for the less than perfectionist gay, the ones who might be over weight or who have no clue how to dress themselves or style a home. I suspect they would have only become further alienated by this book. As indeed would the people who don't flit from lover to lover, and aren't youth obsessed.
There is a distinct cultural difference between American gay men and european ones, even though there are global similarities obviously. And this is a very American book, which is directed towards American gay men. I do think that there is an increased obsession with success in the USA, that you don't find so much certainly here in the UK, and that is reflected here.
I read on through the book as he went on to highlight our failings as gay adults, and what was the cause of them, I felt that he offered little in way of solution. All I really gained from the book was that I probably needed therapy as a result of my Velvet Rage, but then he is a therapist.
I think this book will benefit some people, but it doesn't go across the board to speak to every (gay) man, as I had thought it might with such a promising start.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 16, 2011 11:43 PM BST

Leiths Baking Bible
Leiths Baking Bible
by Fiona Burrell

5.0 out of 5 stars For the serious cook, 19 July 2009
This review is from: Leiths Baking Bible (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book, and an essential companion to anyone who is serious about baking. I am a novice baker and have learnt so much from this book after a relatively small ammount of time. It has a straight forward no nonsense approach. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Curry: Fragrant Dishes from India, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia
Curry: Fragrant Dishes from India, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia
by Vivek Singh

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 19 July 2009
I can't recommend this book highly enough. It is simple and informative. A great book for any curry enthusiast. There isn't anything in this book that I wouldn't want to recreate. It is also a great introduction for people who may be unfamiliar with the foods of some of the countries featured. Great stuff.

KitchenAid Great Baking and More
KitchenAid Great Baking and More
by Publications International
Edition: Plastic Comb

1.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed., 19 July 2009
After investing a small fortune in a Kitchenaid mixer I needed to justify the price by using the machine as much as possible. So I thought that buying a book by the manufacturers would be the best course of action for me to get the most out of my Kitchenaid. I would expect a book called Great Baking and More to contain a recipe for basics such as a white loaf, which it didn't, although there was one for Russian Black Bread! I don't think that I need to refer to a baking based book to make chinese noodles or bolognese sauce, both of which are in the book. I was hoping that I could learn some great tips and advice from this book, being a novice baker, but after flicking through it once I went off to the book shop and bought Pru Leith's Bakery Bible which has proved invaluable.