Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "schristie10"

The Play That Goes Wrong (Modern Plays)
The Play That Goes Wrong (Modern Plays)

5.0 out of 5 stars When getting it wrong gets it so right!, 29 Jan. 2014
I bought this script a while ago thinking it might be something our local group could put on. I got back from watching it at the theatre this evening completely inspired..
First and foremost, this is funny... face achingly, stomach hurtingly, involuntary wettingly funny! Even reading the script will make you laugh out load. But when you add all the physical comedy it is a masterpiece.
What was really interesting this evening was that after the performance the cast (which included the three writers) stayed on for a Q & A session with the audience. What we learned was how the script is an iterative thing - the current published copy is a one act that lasts about an hour. In the 12 months or so that they have been performing it it has become a two act lasting at least half an hour longer. Which brings me back to my own group and the idea that though we cannot hope to have a £33,000 budget for our set, and though we (like many local Am Dram groups) are not really young or fit enough to dive over sofas and through windows and even though we (like many local Am Dram groups) are rather, shall we say, female heavy...we could still put this on if we spent a bit of time adapting it to suit our demographic and much of the comedy would be retained
So, while I echo the recommendation of M. Hunter to go and see it, don't be daunted by the scale of the production. There is no reason this couldn't work in a village hall almost as well as a West End stage.
So get a copy - and have a laugh

Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 - Black Supreme Flip PU Leather Case / Cover / Pouch & LCD Screen Protector
Offered by Gadget Giant

5.0 out of 5 stars All this for under a fiver, 9 May 2012
I bought this thinking that if it was no good it would only cost me a fiver. I needn't have worried. Given the myriad of covers available for smartphones with prices for some heading over the £20 mark sometimes it's a real pleasure to shell out "bottom dollar" so to speak and to receive a top quality product rather than the other way round. Here are my observations in no particular order.

When I first got the phone I found it a little too slim for my giant grip so this makes it easier for me to hold the phone but it still fits comfortably in a shirt breast pocket without a huge bulge
The screen protector is a bonus although with gorilla glass and the cover on it's debatable whether you need one.
Is it real leather? Frankly I can't tell ... and that's kind of the point I would say
The magnetic clip works perfectly well and is much preferred to any other method
The holes are in all the right places except....
No hole for the charger lead
In truth this doesn't matter for me as I use a docking station on my office desk which necessitates removing the phone from the cover anyway and I'm pleased to say that despite it holding the phone very solidly you don't need a crowbar to remove it

So there it is. A decent product for less than the price of a couple of pints. If you're in the market for a cover for your S2 just get it - after all, if it's no good it will only have cost you a fiver!

Against All Things Ending: The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant Series Book 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not against this thing ending, 30 Dec. 2010
I won't try to write a deep plot review about the book and characters - there are plenty of those on this page. In a sense my criticism is more general. When I read a book it is primarily as a source of recreation. Without doubt the first two chronicles satisfied that requirement admirably. Why is it then that these last ones feel like work? When did we start demanding 800 page books? I'm afraid the truth is I simply don't have the time to read a Stephen Donaldson book any more. If I'm lucky I get a few precious minutes in a day to read a couple of chapters. At that rate it takes me almost as long to read the interminable whinings of Linden as it does for Donaldson to write them and by the time I'm finished I've forgotton most of the rest of the book.
I seem to recall in "Gilden Fire" (a short story mercifully cut from the brilliant "Illearth War") Donaldson admitting to being a notorious overwriter and that cutting is a part of writing or something to that effect. It seems that he continues to be a notorious overwriter but any editorial involvement is now non existent.
I wish I could admit to the sort of stamina required to read the last one which will doubtless top 1000 pages but I fear it is a step too far. I simply can't remember enough of what went before to make sense of it and I haven't the time - or will to re-read it.
By comparison I can remember everything about the First & Second Chronicles which I read decades ago.
If someone ever abridges "The Last Chronicles" please let me know...

Red Dwarf: Just The Shows (Vol. 1) (Series 1-4) [DVD] [1988]
Red Dwarf: Just The Shows (Vol. 1) (Series 1-4) [DVD] [1988]
Dvd ~ Chris Barrie

5.0 out of 5 stars After all, how often do you watch the bonus material?, 13 July 2005
Ask yourself the question. If I only had 12 hours on my portable media player would I upload the bonus material? Of course not! Sure you watch that stuff once, maybe, but in the end what you keep coming back to is the shows. Bear in mind also that you pay an additional 35 quid to buy the separate series...'nuff said!
Speaking as someone who missed most of the early stuff the first time round but got into the later series I was delighted at the opportunity to go back to the beginning. What I found was a delight. OK the effects are naff probably left over from Jon Pertwee's tenure as Doctor Who, but the comedy is fresh and original and the characters are sublime. Put them in the Big Brother house and they would all be nominated in the first week by the housemates but would all survive the public vote because they are compelling viewing. Lister is as obnoxious as Rimmer is neurotic as Kryten is obsessive as Cat is vain as Holly is endearingly dimwitted - what a mix.
As the series progress the stories become better rounded but not at the expense of the gags or the personalities bouncing off one another. I can't wait for 5-8 just the shows!
If you've got 60 quid burning a hole in your sky rocket by all means get the individual series but my advice is to spend 25 on this and the rest on the complete Comic Strip.