Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer

Page: 1 | 2
Siege Perilous (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 5)
Siege Perilous (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 5)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ran out of Fuel, 22 Jun. 2015
Not much to say. An OK book if read as a standalone. A very disappointing read as the end of a series. So many loose ends. The ending seemed to be rushed. Was there a looming deadline? I felt a little disappointed as characters introduced previously had nowhere to go and very little to say. So what was the point? Side quests maybe? Well, I won't be rushing out to buy any more after this. Great shame.

Flymo FVISIMO Visimo Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawn Mower - Orange
Flymo FVISIMO Visimo Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawn Mower - Orange

1.0 out of 5 stars Barely better than a pair of scissors, 5 Jun. 2015
I can only imagine that the majority of other reviewers have never owned a decent mower. This is one of the worst products ever. I don't think FLYMO even product tested it. It must be a mistake. I couldn't afford much more than this so it was a bit of Hobson's choice and my expectations for it were not that great. Roll on three cuts later and I was being far too optimistic with my expectations. I assumed that this mower would collect the cuttings in the bin. It doesn't really. Invest in a good rake if you do buy this. I thought it would cut grass up to three inches without any bother. It doesn't. The blade sounds as if it's getting tangled all the time and can hear the rotor slowing down to the speed of a drunken tortoise. But, the much advertised window so you can see when to empty the bin is great right? Laughable. The window is actually angled away from you so you have to stop the mower and move to the front (or to the side if you have a long neck) if you want to look in. But then the window gets covered in damp grass so you can' t see much anyway. Why couldn't they have put one of those magic pop up balls in? The bin itself is very flimsy as noted by others and was quite a fiddle to assemble. Others seem to boast about how easy it is to assemble. More like a Krypton Factor test for me! Anyhow the operation is awful as the bin does not seem to collect that much grass before it starts throwing it out of the sides and giving you green anacondas up and down your lawn. This may be due to the bin being angled upwards at the back so that grass falls back down into the neck, blocking it. Wait until you try to empty the bin. Oh joy. Removing the bin is very awkward as it sits under the handles. Re-attaching the bin is even more fun. The plastic is so thin and flimsy that it bends as you try to connect it. A lawn that used to take me 30 minutes to cut now takes over an hour. Even more when you take raking into account. One thing I did like was the adjustable wheels allowing you to change the depth of cut. Hence 1 star. Like the saying goes, "buy cheap, buy twice". Stay clear.

Red Notice: (Tom Buckingham Thriller 1)
Red Notice: (Tom Buckingham Thriller 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Poor, Not even a Fair One, 26 Jan. 2014
McNab's Nick Stone is great fun, while Tom Buckingham is just boring. You can't empathise with him and the whole "I want to write about relationships" is just a tad beyond McNab (did he even write some of the passages?). A couple of loose ends remain, paving the way for Tom's glorious return, but I really hope that he retires and lives happily ever after. I think even Nick Stone's trip to a shopping centre in Reading would be more interesting than a sequel for Tom Buckingham. R.I.P - please.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 25, 2014 7:43 AM GMT

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wireless HDMI, but limited, 7 Jan. 2014
Having read other reviews before purchasing, I was a bit unsure about it as the functionality not clear. At the moment I'm only able to stream video through it via YouTube and view webpages via Chrome. I don't subscribe to Netflix or the others. However, I'm impressed so far and am waiting for the free version of Plex Media Server to support Chromecast, which will enable local files to be played. Currently Plex only supports Chromecast via PlexPass (premium service). When the package arrived, it had the USA power plug. Why? Following loads of comments on here, I assumed, naively that that little problem would have been sorted by now. I power mine with a USB power plug, but it *should* run equally fine with a dedicated TV-USB socket. The price tag is also obscene - when was the exchange rate with the US 1:1 ?

If major players like Plex start rolling out support for Chromecast in their free bundles and you want to use it with smartphones etc, then I can see that it could be an attractive buy. Otherwise a PC-to-HDMI cable for a few quid will offer greater functionality.

Those In Peril (Hector Cross)
Those In Peril (Hector Cross)
by Wilbur Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly Rubbish, 26 May 2013
I inherited this book as an offcast, and having nothing else to read, I gave it a whirl. Having read a number of his other books, I was looking forward to a good plot, interesting characters and amazing locations. I was to be disappointed. The initial plot had much promise, but Smith fails to capitalize on its relevancy and slips into too many cliches, running out of ideas in the middle section. The characters are totally unbelievable, using 19th century dialogue, more at home in a period drama and they react to events in a strangely robotic fashion, totally devoid of emotion - or in certain circumstances, with over-the-top emotion, totally out of keeping with the character's nature to date. I'm no prude, but the graphic sex and rape scenes were unnecessary and they reflect badly on the author's sense of what may be appropriate for this genre. All-in-all, one to avoid.

The Cold Commands (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
The Cold Commands (GOLLANCZ S.F.)
by Richard K. Morgan

2.0 out of 5 stars A long wait for this disappointing effort, 29 Oct. 2011
Having loved his SF, I read The Steel Remains with some trepidation. I loved it, so I was really looking forward to Cold Commands. I waited and waited. Publish dates being put back. No worries, I had complete faith in Richard Morgan to produce a cracking sequel. I won't say that I feel cheated, but I'm really disappointed that he couldn't have produced something a bit more interesting. The plot is slow, probably laying the scene for the next book, and takes an age to come together. Of course it doesn't help that this sequel was so late being published, so references to characters from the first book, left me a little lost. The book has all the graphic bloodletting and sex scenes (hetero and homo) as the first book, but somehow they fail to shock or engage.

My biggest gripe is the fact that Morgan seems to drift in and out of love with this book, whether or not he was distracted by other projects, it's difficult to say, but certain passages seem to be written with care, whereas others seem to be rushed (approaching deadlines?). One example of this is the incredible way (yes, I know it's fantasy, but even so) in which Ringil escapes death a few times by going into the Margins. That just seems to be a bit of a cop-out to me. I sincerely hope that this will not be a recurring theme in the next book, which I will buy if it doesn't take a couple of years to appear.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 30, 2011 10:35 PM GMT

Terminal World
Terminal World
by Alastair Reynolds

4.0 out of 5 stars Steampunk with Imagination, 10 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Terminal World (Paperback)
When I realised that this wasn't strictly SF, I was initially disappointed, but three quarters of the way through, I came to the conclusion that it was one of his best. Unfortunately as I neared the end I got the uncomfortable feeling that the loose ends weren't going to be tied up. Suffice to say it leaves itself open for a sequel. Just keeps me wondering. I'd still recommend it as the 'world' is an amazing piece of imagination, with some clever ideas.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, Screen Issues, Terrible Admin, 31 Aug. 2011
The product is great - no quibbles, except the fact that I've had to return it twice due to screen freeze (broken). Each time the support staff were brilliant, sending out a new one within a couple of days. You're given a return sticker that you print out from the internet and fix a time for pickup from their couriers. Simple. The first time - like clockwork. The second time, following pickup I went on holiday. A couple of weeks later I got an email to inform me that I'd been charged £180 for non-return of the broken Kindle. Following a phone call, I was told that they would investigate and call me back later on that day. They didn't actually phone back until the next day (not happy!). I was then told that they had made an error and that I would be refunded immediately. Great I thought. I then received an e-mail stating that I could expect the funds to arrive within 7-10 working days. Fuming. They took my money in error and now I won't see it again for about two weeks. This is just wrong. Buy a Kindle by all means, they're great, but beware the admin. 4/5 for the product, -2 for the admin.

The Furies
The Furies
by Bill Napier
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Reasonable read, 17 Dec. 2009
This review is from: The Furies (Mass Market Paperback)
I really don't know if I liked this book or not. After reading all of his other books, I was looking forward to this one for some time. I got hooked after "Revelation" and enjoyed "Shattered/Splintered Icon" immensely.

The premise: an imminent strike against London from an unknown terrorist group, anthrax being the mode of attack. The book flips between modern-day London, Hollywood, Berlin and Siberia, with some interesting war-time Bavaria chapters. The pace is good and the characterisation fair. Although the idea is pretty novel, I found the plot to be over-prescriptive. You'll recognize the plot-cum-subplot routine. I wish that authors writing in this genre would break the mould. Would I recommend this book? Hmm, I think so.

Kerrang! The Album 09
Kerrang! The Album 09
Offered by Qoolist

1.0 out of 5 stars Few Killers, Mostly Fillers, 22 Sept. 2009
This review is from: Kerrang! The Album 09 (Audio CD)
Haven't bought a K! CD for a while and haven't listened to any 'new stuff' for a year or two. What's happened to metal? Since when did punk take over? I mean, come on, I know that music moves on even within a genre, but this is seriously extracting the green stuff. Perusing the cover, I was looking forward to listening to bands I'd never heard of. Then, on listening, I realised why I'd never heard of them. This is probably the worst CD I have ever bought. It seems that everybody wants to be a badder version of the illegitimate spawn of Slipknot and a Marilyn Manson-Johnny Rotten hybrid thingy.

Can't stand Slipknot, but their song is probably the best on the CD - says a lot. O well at least I've got some audio weapons to frighten the mother-in-law with when she comes round to visit.

42 tracks - probably 5 worth listening to. Save your money, go to iTunes or use Spotify.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2011 4:29 PM BST