Profile for Gordon Old > Reviews

Content by Gordon Old

Gordon Old "Headcammer" (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Casio Men's Quartz Watch with Blue Dial Analogue - Digital Display and Silver Stainless Steel Bracelet WVA-M640D-2AER

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps time!, 21 May 2014
Like, you'd hope.
The user interface is not the easiest, but with 100s of functions and only 3 buttons, that's no real surprise. Keep the manual, because you're likely to need it if you cross time zones! It's only because the user interface is hard work this gets less than 5 stars. In terms of build quality, timekeeping, functions, feel, look and value, it's all there.

Bright Lights
Bright Lights

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 21 May 2014
This review is from: Bright Lights (Audio CD)
What can I say? Music is in the ear of the beholder. I like pop, trance, electronic and classical music and I quite like a girly warbling away in my ear. This ticks most of those boxes, so I love it.

Linear Algebra For Dummies
Linear Algebra For Dummies
by Mary Jane Sterling

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite bridge the gap from theory to application, 21 May 2014
The pure maths of linear algebra are, let's face it, quite distant from the real world applications. It would take an eloquent teacher to relate the real world problem to the matrix description of the real world concept, show the maths operations and relate these, or at least the result back to the real world. It's clear enough that bridging this conceptual gulf was in the mind of the author and a valiant attempt was made, but somehow I was left on one side of the abyss or the other without finding the bridge. Maybe I was looking for the wrong analogy.

HG Hygienic Whirlpool Bath Cleaner
HG Hygienic Whirlpool Bath Cleaner
Offered by Red House Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars It cleans, 21 May 2014
Well, you would expect it to. What can I say? I had cleaned the whirlbath a month previously, and had not used it since, but when I used this stuff, I thought I was going to have to call a plumber such was the volume of indescribable horribleness freed from the bowels of the bath.
Yes, it cleans.

The Mountain Men's Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee,Black,X-Large [Apparel]
The Mountain Men's Three Wolf Moon Short Sleeve Tee,Black,X-Large [Apparel]
Offered by TV Tees

5.0 out of 5 stars Waxing lyrical and waning interest, 21 May 2014
Having read the reviews I bought this tshirt with great expectations (yes, Stella expectations), but I have to admit the reaction from others was more in line with an invisibility cloak than a superman cape. Babes did not undo my laces with their teeth. Bouncers did not show me respect. Free drinks were not drunk. Nor was I. No. The effect was far more insiduous and subtle.
I did not realise the effect until later, but in retrospect I can trace it back to when I arrived at work, resplendent in my new finery. "Good morning" said someone. "Nay" said I, "tis but the finest morning ever shone upon the face of homo sapiens" I replied. "Never has such..." but I stopped then, as the other had retreated out of earshot. I considered. I will not trouble you with the answer I gave when someone asked "Good weekend?", but suffice to say someone accidently set off the fire alarm. By afternoon it was clear that the 3 wolf moon tshirt had given me the superpower of exaggeration. Now, pray tell, when should I wear it?

Mirror (From "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" / Soundtrack)
Mirror (From "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" / Soundtrack)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ellie, but perhaps not at her best, 11 Mar 2014
Going to the opposite extreme from 3 wolf moon reviews, Four, not five, stars is about all I have to say.

28 Days Later
28 Days Later

2.0 out of 5 stars 30 secs?, 11 Mar 2014
This review is from: 28 Days Later (MP3 Download)
I was expecting a full version - approx album track length of 3 or 4 minutes. Instead this is just 30 seconds of the well known foreboding riff. It's a good riff, but I'm disappointed nevertheless.

V For Vendetta Book and Mask Set
V For Vendetta Book and Mask Set
by Alan Moore

4.0 out of 5 stars Honestly, I dont intend to riot, 27 Feb 2014
I bought this because I couldn't find any other way to get the book. It deviates from the film quite a bit. On balance I prefered the film, but I do admire the art and effort which went into this. And yes, I was tempted to write a review using the letter V a lot, but that gag is in the book.

Ravensburger Political Map of Europe 500pc Jigsaw Puzzle
Ravensburger Political Map of Europe 500pc Jigsaw Puzzle

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 27 Feb 2014
Sturdy pieces and you know when one fits because the fittings are generally quite unique. Having said that, it's a doddle, given that if you know your placenames in Europe, you can just about place pieces as you pick them up. Good fun for a couple of evenings though.

Ravensburger Jack Vettriano The Singing Butler Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)
Ravensburger Jack Vettriano The Singing Butler Jigsaw Puzzle (1000 Pieces)

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, 27 Feb 2014
Sturdy pieces. Quite hard, given that a good chunk of the jigsaw is shades of grey sky. Unfortunately we lost a piece before we completed it, but once framed it almost gives it an air of verimilisitude

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4