Profile for Syrinx2112 > Reviews

Chapter Ten:  Us and Them
Chapter Ten: Us and Them
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Bosch - Season 1 (Amazon Video)
Absolutely first class, here's to a second season!

Ep.#11 - "Born of the Ashes" (The Frontiers Saga)
Ep.#11 - "Born of the Ashes" (The Frontiers Saga)

5.0 out of 5 stars Series is coming along nicely, 3 Jun. 2014
Since the battle returned to home shores, and the list of accomplices and allies spans a thousand light years, this series has really taken off for me. Very well written space opera, with a heart and suitably "nick of time" events that keep you engrossed. Indeed it's so well written in terms of pace, that when Aurora and Celestia enter battle, I can actually feel my reading pace pick up, and during some action scenes I'm practically speed reading it!

But I reserve a special word for Lt. Telles and his Gatazhak special forces - when first introduced as potential "bad guys" they were a scary addition - apparently invincible automatons, hell bent on destruction and mayhem. As Lt. Telles and his men have been brought into the story more, we begin to see them as intelligent, thinking men - certainly ruthless and deadly effective soldiers, but not robots with no feelings or free thoughts. Their ability to cut through the emotions to achieve the mission is clear, but never without intellectual consideration and analysis. I really like 'em, and I'd like to see Telles get a few more to make up his losses in the future!

So a worthy continuation of a story that started out decent enough but has got better with each installment.

Dust World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 2)
Dust World (Undying Mercenaries Series Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Liking the dynamic, 9 April 2014
Bought Steel World as a tester between Star Force books. Good old fashioned space opera with some nice ideas, I enjoyed it and this continues in the same vein. I'm impressed with the complete change of setting and reasoning behind the Legion's mission in this second book, and the sense of living on the edge in a barely habitable world is nicely described. I'm also finding our protagonist more likeable the Kyle Riggs from Star Force, who I'm starting to care less and less about to be honest! The respawn idea is VERY videogame FPS based, but well done and none the worse for it, indeed, the way it changes the soldier's approach to death is a nice psychological twist.
Overall a very nice continuation of the series, and paves the way for more very nicely, well worth the money and I look forward to the next installment.

Fifty Shades Darker: 2/3
Fifty Shades Darker: 2/3
by E. L. James

1.0 out of 5 stars Groundhog Grey, 9 July 2012
So I got half way through the second part of the trilogy of fifty shades and gave up. It was like being in Groundhog Day, without the amusing rodent. I have no issues with its portrayal of BDSM, because in all honesty there's barely any in it anyway, And let's face it, what there is is so essentially playing to a vanilla audience it barely registers.

The other thing that barely registered from the overall quality was a F****** EDITOR! And thats the problem, it's roots in amateur e-publishing are so obvious that it has all the literary quality of a teenage magazine story, without the skilled editing. Repetitive, banal and frankly irritating language, scenarios and all the emotional complexity of . . . Well, I don't know, but something not very complex!

Aparantly the film rights are being fought over. Really? Honestly, if you want something with a hint of BDSM and some emotional depth that this thing couldn't reach with a miner's lamp just watch Secretary. It's on Netflix, treat yourself.

I read a lot of self published e-literature, mainly sci-fi stuff. And i've yet to read anything in that over subscribed bastion of repetitiveness that matches this for a lack of imagination and depth. I don't doubt there is, but it certainly hasn't achieved the kind of undeserved good rep this has.

I appear to have got through about 25 shades of grey before concluding that the other 25 were too dull to be worth the trip. I'm not averse to a little light, frothy inconsequential chick-lit (sometimes its remarkably deep and thought provoking - try anything by Serena Mackesy, The Temp is brilliant) but this swaps light and frothy for repetitive and badly edited, all the while apparently trying to convince us that it's deep, edgy and riding some kind of social Zeitgeist. It's not and it isn't.

Don't drive angry!

Olympic Mascots Wenlock Policeman Soft Toy
Olympic Mascots Wenlock Policeman Soft Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars Limited availability, 28 May 2012
Please note that this toy has been temporarily removed from stockist's shelves. It is to be replaced by one 20% smaller in the first instance, and in stages will adopt the corporate logos of G4S on it's epaulettes, the spy camera will be degraded to lower the level of service it can provide, and it will have a voice chip installed, with a variety of pre-recorded apologies to Daily Mail readers for whatever perceived sin they have decided Wenlock has committed THIS TIME. For a limited time it will also come with an alternative set of headwear, in the form of black or white baseball caps and an additional marching tune will be added the voice chip. To be marketed as "Wenlock the protesting policeman". Soft toy of Theresa May in development (The head is soft, the rest is stoney and there's nothing cuddly about it. it's called "The Cuddly Ironic Toy".
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 14, 2012 1:06 AM BST

Survival & Other Stories
Survival & Other Stories
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars A breath of fresh air, 26 July 2011
After spending several weeks listening to the new YEs album, and being thoroughly underwhelmed by it's pseudo-Dramaesque style (it's good enough, but pretty much "yes by numbers" to my ears) I decided to give Jon Anderson's new work a listen through Spotify. And what I found was an album of startling beauty that gripped me from the beginning and hasn't let go.

Jon's vocals are as distinctive as ever, but more importantly they are as crisp, clear and beguiling as ever, his is a voice which, given it's tone and apparant fragility you would think would have suffered the ravages of time, but to the contrary he sounds as wonderful as ever - which at 66 is no mean feat!

The songs, whilst maybe straying into the spiritual too obviously for my liking sometimes, are always lsitenable, and the air of optimism that permeates the album makes me smile regularly.

Basically this is an album that could be used as an introduction to Anderson, but will also keep the long time fans happy. I wish I'd purchased this and tried "Fly From Here" on Spotify rather than the other way around, but it's an oversight that I have since corrected and it makes a delightful addition to my music library.

And now, back to my regularly scheduled Slayer!

Spinward Fringe Broadcast 1 and 2: Resurrection and Awakening
Spinward Fringe Broadcast 1 and 2: Resurrection and Awakening

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, engaging space opera, 28 Mar. 2011
I downloaded the origins for free just while looking for some sci fi to while away the quiet hours, and was thoroughly engaged. The feeling continues with this. It's not going to move the world, but is a decent, well written story with likable, believable characters you enjoy reading about and want to see do well. Just downloaded Triton and will work my way through the series with relish. Feels the same as when I first read the Lensman series as a much younger man! Well worth a look. . . .