Profile for SuzHam > Reviews

Content by SuzHam

SuzHam

The Monogram Murders: The New Hercule Poirot Mystery
The Monogram Murders: The New Hercule Poirot Mystery

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an Agatha Christie, but enjoyable all the same, 16 Sep 2014
I've been a huge AC fan since the age of 13 (45 years!) and have every book. I wasn't sure whether to purchase this or not. I'm glad I did, it has a good plot with believable characters and I enjoyed it. The only reason for 4 stars and not 5 was that I wasn't happy with the writing of Poirot's speech. He now speaks impeccable English with some quite difficult grammatical constructs in there and, it seemed to me, only an afterthought by the author to add a few French expressions now and again. I think the best way to approach it is to accept and enjoy it for what it is, a Poirot written by another author, and not treat it as an undiscovered AC!!

The Grim Reaper (A Crowner John Mystery)
The Grim Reaper (A Crowner John Mystery)
by Bernard Knight
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Not 'very good' condition as described, 19 Jan 2014
If I'd known The Book House was the new trading name of World of Books, I would not have ordered this book from them. I've had problems before with books ordered from the World of Books being described as 'Very Good' and not being even what I would describe as 'Good'. I will not be using this seller again and am unable to recommend. The book has numerous creases down the spine, the front cover is damaged and the outside of the pages are dirty.

A Commonplace Killing
A Commonplace Killing

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, gripping read, 15 Jan 2014
It's been a long time since I sat up half the night to finish a book, but I did with this one. Not only does it leave you guessing about the perpetrator until almost the end, it brings the taste and feel of what it must have been like to live in post-war Britain. Good storyline, brilliant descriptive writing. Would definitely recommend.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, 11 July 2013
After reading other reviews, I downloaded the sample onto my Kindle. That was at about 4.30pm. After reading the sample, I downloaded the whole book and, apart from cooking dinner, didn't stop reading until I'd finished it. Wonderful story, very well written and very poignant. Certainly makes you think about life, growing older and the stuff that comes in-between. I'm a prolific reader (I only work to support my Amazon habit!) and have never felt inspired to write a review before but this book thoroughly deserves all 5 stars.