Profile for Rachel Pierson > Reviews

Content by Rachel Pierson

Rachel Pierson "Rachel Pierson" (Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
FREE DELIVERY UK SELLER New UK Acer Aspire Timeline 5742Z Laptop Keyboard
FREE DELIVERY UK SELLER New UK Acer Aspire Timeline 5742Z Laptop Keyboard
Offered by Birmingham IT Goods

5.0 out of 5 stars My good deed for the day, 24 Dec. 2014
I bought this item to replace a keyboard with a single damaged key. If I could have bought an individual key, I'd have done that. So, now I have a shiny new keyboard plus an old one with most of its keys still intact. If, like me, you're looking for a replacement for an individual key, drop me an email at: rachel dot pierson at hotmail dot co dot uk and I'll send it to you free of charge.

Hopefully someone will find this useful. Particularly now this keyboard model is out of stock.

Kensington Solemate Plus Footrest Adjustable Locking Tilts 0-15 Degrees Platform W450xD350mm Ref 56146

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and nasty, 23 Jun. 2014
I had a footrest of this same brand a few years ago. Unfortunately, I left if behind at a recent job and so decided to buy another. This item isn't nearly the same quality, however. It's only an inch or two above the ground for starters. And the surface, unlike my old one, was hard plastic and scuffed from the moment it came out of the box. (My old one had soft fabric surface that was much nicer.) I think this product would have made my lower back pain worse, not better.

I sent this item back within moments of seeing it. What a let down.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 - Network adapter - PCI Express Half Mini Card - 802.11b, 802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11ac, Bluetooth 4.0 LE(7260.HMWWB)
Offered by elevenfirst

1.0 out of 5 stars Did not work as advertised, 16 Jun. 2014
Update:

I strongly recommend you don't purchase this item from "Buyur". They refused to pay return costs for the faulty / unsuitable card mentioned below, and stated they only make partial refunds if the item has been opened. Both of these actions are illegal under the Distance Selling Regulations (which applied at the time.) This resulted in my having to make an Amazon A to Z Guarantee claim for the first time in over ten years of using Amazon. I found this 'guarantee' to be singularly useless too, and so ended up having to get a refund via my card issuer's Chargeback guarantee instead. Not your finest hour, Amazon.

With regard to the product, I've also had to reduce my original rating for the product itself, since it appears to only work intermittently in those laptops that it originally 'successfully' installed for. i.e., it keeps dropping its connection to an otherwise reliable wireless network, despite my power saving settings being set not to allow windows to switch off the WLAN to save power. Disappointing product, from an abysmal Vendor, via a website that couldn't seem to care less. Thank goodness for Chargeback.

Original Review:

I bought three of these cards for use in 3 laptops - 2 Acer and 1 Dell - in conjunction with a new Asus RT-AC68U router and FTTC internet connection. Results below:

* Laptop 1 (5-6 year old Dell Inspiron 1545) : worked, achieving speeds of 702 Mbps (~87.75 MBPS - capitalisation is important!)
* Laptop 2 (3 year old Acer Aspire 5742Z) : didn't work.
* Laptop 3 (9 month old Acer Aspire V3-571) : worked, speed varied between 780 to 866.77 Mbps (97.5 to 108.3 MBPS)

With the machine that this card didn't work for, the symptoms were that the laptop wouldn't even boot nor let me into the BIOS with the AC7260 installed.

So, in summary, it looks like this card achieves AC speeds with some motherboards. Some others it doesn't work with at all. Sometimes, confusingly, those that do work and those that don't can be the same model and manufacturer. You just need to try and see if it works for your particular setup. At £30-£40 cheaper than the next option up and with the ability to get a refund if this item doesn't work for you, it's definitely worth a go.

The appropriate drivers can be downloaded from here: [see 1st comment below] (be sure to choose the correct version for your system: 32 bit or 64 bit.) For obvious reasons, it's advisable to download them to a location on your local drive *before* you disconnect your existing WLAN PCI-E card.

There's a useful video that shows you how to replace the card here: [see 1st comment below] (it's for a Dell, but the instructions are generically useful.)
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2014 6:25 PM BST

Summit 750ml Water Bottle 2 x Lids for Trekking School etc
Summit 750ml Water Bottle 2 x Lids for Trekking School etc
Offered by Startup Media

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaves a nasty metallic taste, even after multiple washings with soap + water, 13 Jun. 2014
I can't for the life of me understand why aluminium bottles have become popular. They don't keep your water any cooler than a normal plastic bottle does. If you want cool, then a mini-flask is a much better option. They're not lighter than alternatives like plastic bottles, so even for hikers and other weight-conscious users I can't see the appeal. Lastly, and most importantly, though, they make your water taste horrible. My Summit aluminium bottle gave my water a distinct and unpleasant metallic taste, that developed into an irritated and sore throat the next day. It took me a couple of times using it with a gap between before realising that the throat irritation was directly caused by whatever pollutant led to the unpleasant taste. After that, I threw mine away, after only 3 or 4 uses.

The only benefit of metal bottles that I can see is that they are at least strong. But if you want strong without an unpleasant taste, then one made of food grade stainless steel would be a better bet.

In short, I recommend you stay away from this type of bottle. I bought mine because they look pretty, and I thought there may be some insulating effect with it being made of metal ("perhaps," I naively thought "it might be double-lined with a vacuum, and act like a flask,") You'd be better off with a BPA-free plastic one instead, which Summit also makes. I have one of those now. Whilst it isn't a perfect design either, it is at least better than a bottle that makes your water taste foul and acts as a throat irritant.

Three Mobile Huawei E3231 Dongle Ready To Go 3GB Preloaded Data
Three Mobile Huawei E3231 Dongle Ready To Go 3GB Preloaded Data
Offered by Nectar Nik-Nax

1.0 out of 5 stars Irritating spamming will result from buying this item, 24 May 2014
I did have an actually-informative review for this item. Unfortunately I had to remove it.

Be warned, if you buy this item, Amazon will automatically assume you are interested in doing their job for them by providing free technical support to other customers via email. Regardless of your communication preferences, you will find yourself being emailed enquiries from random members of the public, such as "Does this item work with an iPad?", "What's a computer?" and "Why is the sky blue?" (That's where those "7 questions answered" come from in the description above.)

It's one thing to have questions posted on the product page should visitors be kind enough to answer them. It's quite another to invade my inbox with requests for me to do your job for you. If I had aspirations to answer inane technical enquiries for free, I'd get a work experience job as a "genius" at an Apple store. I don't have any such inclination to provide free customer support for Amazon or anybody else. Merely purchasing and reviewing an item doesn't change my clearly-expressed communication preferences.

Sort it out, Amazon. This isn't the only unsolicited email I've had from you recently, despite my preferences being clearly set to never receive any spam. It seems that after years of building up trust by initially respecting consumer communication preferences, you've merely become just another website that can't be trusted not to spam when provided with personal contact information.

World of Data® Shaving Adaptor/PLug UK Standard
World of Data® Shaving Adaptor/PLug UK Standard
Offered by SHINE_UMBRELLA

1.0 out of 5 stars Low Price, Low Quality, 3 May 2014
I at least expected this item to accept a plug designed for a shaver socket. However, the item that I bought it for doesn't fit properly in the back of this plug, but does fit on another adapter plug I bought. With this item, one prong only goes three quarters of the way in.

Blinc Mascara-Black 0.21 Oz. Black 0.21 Ounce
Blinc Mascara-Black 0.21 Oz. Black 0.21 Ounce
Offered by BEAUTY BAZAAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Best mascara I've used, 27 April 2014
Blinc mascara is fab. It doesn't flake or lose consistency under most circumstances. It takes both water and rubbing to make it come off, but washes off easily when you apply both together whilst washing last thing at night. I wouldn't be without mine now.

Breaking Bad Official 2014 Calendar
Breaking Bad Official 2014 Calendar
by Pyramid International
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am The Calendar, 27 April 2014
I left it too late this year to find one of the cutesy calendars I usually go for. So, being a huge Breaking Bad fan, I opted for this Walt and Jesse themed one instead. It's fab. It was a little over-packaged (it arrived in a 50cm x 30cm x 10cm box - I guess you need that when sending an item via Royal Mail, as they seem just to ignore the instructions on those "Do Not Bend" envelopes that items with this shape are often sent in.)

Anyway, I love it. Too bad it took me until April to get one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

2nd Hard Disk Drive Caddy SATA 12.7MM (0.5 inch) for Laptops; add second HDD/SSD to your laptop, replace Optial Drive

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 27 April 2014
There's nothing wrong with this product. It is necessarily designed, however, for a range of laptops. Unfortunately on mine this means it sits about 1cm recessed from where the CD drive that it replaced used to sit. That leaves a sharp edge that can be kind of annoying. There's a niche out there for anyone that can produce a range of customised caddies designed specifically for individual popular laptops, that have the same shape profile as the CD drive they replace.

In terms of the product itself, it does the technical part of its job very well. I used it to add a second 1Tb SSD to a development laptop, and if anything it's even faster than the drive I have in the main drive slot. (The main drive is a Crucial M500 1Tb, and this device is hosting a Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb.) No complaints on the build or technical performance front.

Petnap Heated Cat/Pet Shelter (Granite)
Petnap Heated Cat/Pet Shelter (Granite)
Offered by Petnap Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a feral cat, 27 April 2014
A feral cat appears to have set up home in my bushes. I felt very sorry for him on two days in particular; one with hard frost in the morning, and another with heavy rain. So, I bought this shelter for him, and feed him whenever I see him. He hasn't quite got the idea that I'm not going to get up at 4am when he mewls at my window for food and needs to wait until light. Nor seemingly has he quite got his dopey little head around the fact that this shelter is warm, dry, and for him. It's been pretty fair weather since I set up the shelter, though, so I think he just prefers the ground under my bushes (which is quite dry and soft.) At least he now has an option for when the weather turns colder or wetter again. I've still not found an adequate solution to him mewling to get fed at 4am, however!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4