Profile for Rachel Pierson > Reviews

Content by Rachel Pierson

Rachel Pierson "Rachel Pierson" (Scotland, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Breaking Bad Official 2014 Calendar
Breaking Bad Official 2014 Calendar
by Pyramid International
Edition: Calendar

5.0 out of 5 stars I Am The Calendar, 27 April 2014
I left it too late this year to find one of the cutesy calendars I usually go for. So, being a huge Breaking Bad fan, I opted for this Walt and Jesse themed one instead. It's fab. It was a little over-packaged (it arrived in a 50cm x 30cm x 10cm box - I guess you need that when sending an item via Royal Mail, as they seem just to ignore the instructions on those "Do Not Bend" envelopes that items with this shape are often sent in.)

Anyway, I love it. Too bad it took me until April to get one.
Comment Comment | Permalink

2nd Hard Disk Drive Caddy SATA 12.7MM (0.5 inch) for Laptops; add second HDD/SSD to your laptop, replace Optial Drive
Offered by DigiDirect

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job., 27 April 2014
There's nothing wrong with this product. It is necessarily designed, however, for a range of laptops. Unfortunately on mine this means it sits about 1cm recessed from where the CD drive that it replaced used to sit. That leaves a sharp edge that can be kind of annoying. There's a niche out there for anyone that can produce a range of customised caddies designed specifically for individual popular laptops, that have the same shape profile as the CD drive they replace.

In terms of the product itself, it does the technical part of its job very well. I used it to add a second 1Tb SSD to a development laptop, and if anything it's even faster than the drive I have in the main drive slot. (The main drive is a Crucial M500 1Tb, and this device is hosting a Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb.) No complaints on the build or technical performance front.

Petnap Heated Cat/Pet Shelter (Granite)
Petnap Heated Cat/Pet Shelter (Granite)
Offered by Petnap Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for a feral cat, 27 April 2014
A feral cat appears to have set up home in my bushes. I felt very sorry for him on two days in particular; one with hard frost in the morning, and another with heavy rain. So, I bought this shelter for him, and feed him whenever I see him. He hasn't quite got the idea that I'm not going to get up at 4am when he mewls at my window for food and needs to wait until light. Nor seemingly has he quite got his dopey little head around the fact that this shelter is warm, dry, and for him. It's been pretty fair weather since I set up the shelter, though, so I think he just prefers the ground under my bushes (which is quite dry and soft.) At least he now has an option for when the weather turns colder or wetter again. I've still not found an adequate solution to him mewling to get fed at 4am, however!

WD My Book Studio 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop Storage
WD My Book Studio 3TB USB 3.0 Desktop Storage

4.0 out of 5 stars Sorry, I had to delete this review owing to Amazon deleting other of my reviews that they didn't agree with, 27 April 2014
Sorry, I had to remove this highly-rated review when I discovered that Amazon had been deleting other less-favourable reviews. When Amazon chooses to only publish positive and neutral reviews, and suppresses negative ones, I feel I'd only be lending credibility to a dishonest system by leaving my highly-rated neutral and positive reviews published.

Pro ASP.NET MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net)
Pro ASP.NET MVC 5 (Expert's Voice in ASP.Net)

1.0 out of 5 stars Buying this title will result in you receiving spam, regardless of your advertising preferences, 27 April 2014
One reason I've chosen Amazon as a preferred retailer in the past is that they ask what my advertising preferences are, and have until now been smart enough to respect those preferences. I hate receiving any form of unsolicited email, especially advertising. For the avoidance of doubt - and especially for those deliberately-obtuse self-styled marketing "gurus" with bizarre self-serving interpretations of the word "unsolicited" - 'unsolicited' means I didn't explicitly ask for it, and your email is not directly about a purchase I have made.

In the case of this book (and one other I bought on the same day from the same publisher) my purchase immediately resulted in my being emailed a "Promotional Code", that affords me the golden opportunity to spend yet more money, but only on certain books on entirely unrelated subjects that I wouldn't read if you paid me, and it must be used by yadda yadda.... In other words, it's exactly the same type of desperate annoying unsolicited upselling that physical high street stores like HMV used to engage in endlessly right before they went bust. It's a shame to see that the 'brilliant' marketers that helped HMV, Jessops and other once-leading high street retailers to go out of business now seem to be 'helping' online retailers do the same.

I only need to be bitten once to never purchase from a seller again. This is the last book I'll buy from Apress. I've never had this problem when buying from Wrox or any other vendor. If this is a more general change in spamming policy by Amazon, I'll bin Kindle altogether. It's that simple.

This isn't a good marketing strategy, Amazon or Apress. Trust me on this. Just because you send spam from an email address that you have the cheek to announce doesn't accept incoming email, doesn't mean that customers won't find a way to express our displeasure when you engage in blatant spamming.

No doubt there will be some who complain this review isn't about the book itself. However, reviews are also meant to be about the whole experience of dealing with the vendor and author in question, not just the product itself. In this case, the consumer experience has been less than optimal. If like me you hate spam, I suggest giving this title a miss and choosing one from another publisher. Hopefully one that will respect your marketing preferences and not engage in pointless upselling that serves only to alienate the consumer.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2014 2:10 PM GMT

ASP.NET MVC 4 and the Web API: Building a REST Service from Start to Finish
ASP.NET MVC 4 and the Web API: Building a REST Service from Start to Finish

1.0 out of 5 stars Buying this book will make Amazon send you spam, 27 April 2014

In the case of this book (and one other I bought on the same day from the same publisher) my purchase immediately resulted in my being emailed a "Promotional Code", that enables me to spend more money, but must be used by yadda yadda.... In other words, it's exactly the same type of annoying and unsolicited upselling that physical high street stores like HMV used to engage in endlessly right before they went bust. It's a shame to see that the 'brilliant' marketers that helped HMV, Jessops and other once-leading high street retailers to go out of business now seem to be 'helping' online retailers do the same.

Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling Headset with Microphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars I use them more often than my Bose headphones, 18 Feb. 2014
I bought these for working in a noisy location. At the time (in late 2012) they were priced at £19.45. I see the present price is ~£18, down from £40. I'm not saying that apparent discount isn't genuine, just that they were roughly the same 'reduced' price a year and a half ago.

Anyway, in terms of quality, they've done the job. At the same time as I bought these, I bought a pair of Bose headphones for around £275. They do a similar job to the Boses just as well to my ears, are far more comfortable to wear, and have the nice additional benefit of being rechargeable (my Bose set uses regular batteries, that need to be replaced fairly often). All-in-all, with hindsight, I'd have bought only these at less than a tenth of the price rather than wasting money on the Boses if I'd known how good an option they were going to be.

Mine are still going strong after 18 months use, including being transported about in a laptop bag / handbag daily. I've finished the contract in the noisy environment that I originally bought them for some time ago, but still find them useful. The noise cancelling is particularly useful for listening to music whilst hoovering or drying your hair! It's also nice to be able to give the volume a boost when you're listening to some video or audio that happens not to have been recorded very well and that would consequently be difficult to hear properly on regular earphones.

In summary, I recommend these. Just don't think you're getting a special bargain by paying 'half price'. :)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Once you get one, you'll wonder how you ever did without it, 17 Nov. 2013
I ordered my water flosser in Feb 2012. I've been using it daily, sometimes several times a day, since then and it's still going strong.

I decided to give the Panasonic brand a go based on the high average Amazon ratings that brand had at the time (and still has). I haven't been disappointed. It's proven to be a very effective device for deep-cleaning my gumline and between my teeth. It's also proven to be very reliable.

I use mine a minimum of once a day (at night). I also frequently use it after meals. It's amazing how many food particles it flushes out, particularly if you've just eaten something like cereal. Those particles would otherwise hang around your mouth for hours until you got the chance to floss properly at night. Even when you leave using the device until hours after you've eaten and after you've flossed conventionally using physical dental floss, this device usually manages to dislodge some fragments of food that brushing and flossing alone hasn't quite managed to dislodge.

All-in-all I'm very glad I got one. At this juncture, I'm thinking of buying another one, so I can keep one in my desk drawer at work for cleaning after lunch and one at home. It only takes about two minutes to go along the inside and outside of your gumline once you get used to the technique, so it's handy to have one at work for cleaning after lunch.

In terms of how to use the device, I tried a few different approaches, including using cold water, lukewarm water, and both neat and diluted mouthwash. I found that warm water worked best for me, and helped avoid shocking my teeth and gumline. The jet of water itself is pretty powerful, especially right after charging. So you need to be careful not to point the jet in the wrong direction, or to use too cold or harsh a fluid for cleaning.

I find I need to recharge mine around once a week. That's enough to last 7 days, with 1-3 uses of 2-3 minutes apiece each day. Out of habit, I still use physical floss too, but I find it doesn't dislodge anything that hasn't already been cleaned out by this device (in contrast to what I find when I use the physical floss first, then use this device).

I highly recommend it.

Update, May 2014:

I did indeed buy a second one of these devices recently. My original irrigator is still going strong, over two years later. And I still only need to charge it about once a week, occasionally a little sooner than that if I've been using it more than once a day. I can't fault this gadget in any way. It's been one of the best Amazon purchases I've made. Sitting the brand new version next to my two-year-old one is quite revealing of the quality of this product - the original has weathered well. I'll be glad to have a second one to use when I'm working away from home, as when working at home I've got used to being able to quickly but thoroughly clean my teeth after daytime meals. I can't recommend this product highly enough. Get one, you'll be glad you did.

Energy Saving Desk Lamp, Reading Lamp D33040
Energy Saving Desk Lamp, Reading Lamp D33040
Offered by RNIB

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, and had an annoying flicker for close-up work, 14 Sept. 2013
I bought this item to use as a desk lamp for a dimly-lit office. The product had three main faults for that type of use:

1) It wasn't reliable (it stopped working within 6 days of purchase). This may just have been a blown bulb or fuse, I didn't bother investigating further. But, in terms of suitability for purpose, I expect even a bulb to last more than 6 days.

2) When it did work, the lamp itself was annoyingly bright. As there was no diffuser supplied with it the shadows it cast were very dark and harsh instead of the soft light I had been expecting.

3) For close-up work like writing on a pad, or I would think any kind of craft work requiring illumination of small areas close to the user's hands, there was a constant and noticeable flicker in the light produced. I'm not talking here about the ordinary few seconds of on-and-off flickering that you get when you first switch on any fluorescent light. I'm talking about a constant, 50Hz-stylee, headache-inducing, annoying and noticeable visible "buzzing" effect that lasts as long as the light is switched on.

This lamp annoyed my colleagues, and it annoy me. I ended up using an uplighter placed next to my desk instead, which produced a much softer and more appealing form of illumination for the type of use case I had. I could see what I was writing on my desk because there was no longer a distracting black shadow cast by my own hand that obscured the relevant spot on my writing pad. And I could type at my keyboard and see my screens without a distracting glare coming from one side or reflection from same on the screen.

All-in-all, I can't recommend this item either as a desk lamp, or as a light source for close-up work.

Crucial CT960M500SSD1 960GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Crucial CT960M500SSD1 960GB M500 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch Internal Solid State Drive
Offered by Scan Computers Intl Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, this is fast., 15 Aug. 2013
I bought this SSD for use in conjunction with a new 8GB RAM,2.6GHz dual core i5 laptop. Boy it's fast.

I'd previously used a 250GB SSD from the same manufacturer with a 6GB 2.13GHz P6200 dual core machine, and I'd thought that was fast in comparison to a platter drive of comparable size. But the combination of a beefier set of RAM plus this 1TB SSD is blisteringly fast.

I use my setup professionally to run various versions of Visual Studio and Sql Server alongside some fairly processor-intensive applications like TeamCity, and it doen't miss a beat. I also use whole-disk encryption. Even with the extra processing power that on-the-fly encryption requires, this drive performs flawlessly and silently.

Time for a cold restart of the machine on Windows 7: around 20 seconds. Time to open visual studio / sql server, etc : negligible. I can't even measure it. It's literally about 1 second max. With my old 250GB SSD, those times were ~40 seconds for startup, and 3-4 seconds to start processor-intensive applications like VS2010 / VS2012 or Sql Server.

In terms of reliability, my previous 250GB drive from two and a half years ago is still going strong and being used in another laptop. (That's actually the second rebuild it's been part of, so they're quite robust in terms of being pulled in and out of hardware and being subjected to complete rebuilds). When SSDs fail, however, I am aware that they fail completely rather than having a bad sector here or there. So I've prepared for the day when it may ultimately no longer work by backing everything up. But for a hard-working developer laptop that gets a battering day after day on intensive tasks I really can't fault Crucial SSDs for the sheer improvement in speed they afford. No developer should be without one. I highly recommend them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4