Profile for Michael G. Pagan > Reviews

Content by Michael G. Pagan

Michael G. Pagan (Herts UK)

Frankly, Mr. Shankly (2011 Remastered Version)
Frankly, Mr. Shankly (2011 Remastered Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Excellent - Morrissey at his sarcastic finest

My Way: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!
My Way: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're an indie author you need this book!, 3 July 2014
As a relatively new Kindle author this is an invaluable source of ideas for promoting my work on social media. It's a lean, waffle free, easy read. I found myself highlighting and bookmarking much of the immediately usable tips and will be referring to it frequently as I promote my latest novel Eat More Bloody Meat Y'Bastards!
I've already seen a threefold increase in sales of my earlier novel Thicker Than Water (A Dermot O'Hara Mystery Book 1) as a direct result of using the advice in this book. My Way is a must read for any indie author.

Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (Dci Helen Grace 1)
Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (Dci Helen Grace 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Yarn!, 13 May 2014
This novel grips like a pit bull with lockjaw from the start and doesn't let go. The evil premise at the heart of the work and the pace of the writing force the reader to observe violent events at disturbingly close range. The author has put his screen writing background to good use to keep tension throughout with a series of twists and turns leading to the brutal denouement. Recommended!

A Patch of Blue
A Patch of Blue
by Dewi Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Glimpse Into A Lost World, 28 April 2014
This review is from: A Patch of Blue (Paperback)
As a poignant, charming glimpse into the small town Wales of fifty years ago, I recommend you read this collection of short tales set in the Welsh valleys. If a town is the sum of its people in all their glorious eccentricity and human frailty then Dewi Williams captures this well in 'A Patch of Blue'.
Williams fills each chapter with the colourful minutiae of the characters and events of his youth giving the reader a real flavour of village life in Wales. A gentle, entertaining and captivating read. Recommended!

The Lighthouse
The Lighthouse

4.0 out of 5 stars `The Lighthouse.' A beacon for murder., 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Lighthouse (Kindle Edition)
As the author of Banshee (A Dermot O'Hara Mystery), a novel set on the coast of Kerry in Southern Ireland, I have a fascination with that part of us that exists between solid land and restless ocean and how it influences our character and behaviour. I also love lighthouses and islands so PD James was always going to have a head-start in winning my affection with this work! Throw in Cornwall where I've spent a happy holiday or three and I'm completely won over. James' clever twist is to heighten the intensity of the plot by dropping her creation Dalgleish on an island where everyone knows each other or at least thinks they do. Are they a captive audience, trapped victims or a community of killers? This device also serves to raise the expectation that it must be easier to catch a murderer on an island and keeps the dramatic tension piling up the whole way through. My only, minor, quibble is, could one island have so much misfortune in such a short time? Her attention to detail in the background and behaviour of her characters make this an excellent read. And it's very brave to choose a famous writer as the victim! Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 5:05 PM BST

The Screenwriter's Workbook: Exercises and Step-by-step Instructions for Creating a Successful Screenplay
by Syd Field

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for film writers!, 18 April 2013
When I was writing my first stage play Other People's Lives I hadn't yet discovered this book (I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Syd Field before that) and I struggled with the structure of the play. Eventually I completed the play and it went into production and was very well received. For my second play, 'Dancehall Sweethearts' I used Field's book from the beginning and it helped me create the outline framework of the play very quickly indeed. Specifically I used his paradigm and this was an effective tool to decide what scenes would work best within each Act and what additional scenes might be needed. Clearly there are significant differences between screen and stage writing but this book provides a creative platform for both. I've now also written a screenplay using it and for that of course it was invaluable. I would also say if anyone is suffering from the dreaded writer's block, relying on the structural approach of the book is a liberating experience which loosens the creative bonds. I recommend it highly.

The Double Comfort Safari Club: 11 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Double Comfort Safari Club: 11 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Lady Detectives Out of Their (Double) Comfort Zone., 21 Mar 2013
As the author of Banshee (A Dermot O'Hara Mystery) I have long been an admirer of the gentle and deceptively simple style of Alexander McCall Smith's writing. He immerses the reader in the minutiae of Botswana life bringing to his characters the familiarity of old friends. In `The Double Comfort Safari Club' it is a mark of his skill and confidence that he lets a seemingly unimportant decision (about a teapot of all things) play out over six pages, during which we gain a much deeper insight into the characters of the two women protagonists.

Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi become embroiled in a case which takes them away from Gaborone and into the dark, beautiful heart of a Botswana safari park. McCall Smith weaves a tale where decency, understanding and humanity are brought to bear on the problem facing Mma Ramotswe and her assistant. On the subject of Mma Makutsi; is it my imagination or is she becoming more chippy and feisty as the novels go on? Another highly recommended work from a master story teller!

Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Book 2)
Tears of the Giraffe (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Tears and joy in this African tale, 14 Mar 2013
As I was writing my novel Thicker Than Water: a Dermot O'Hara Mystery (The Dermot O'Hara Mysteries), I was very much aware of the characters who populate the pages of Alexander McCall Smith's books and why they have such a deep appeal for us. He has the knack of creating real individuals who are apparently easy to understand, yet serious and thoughtful at the same time. The simple humanity of Mma Ramotswe and Mr J.L.B. Matekoni offers welcome relief in our complex and cynical world. They fulfil the role of wise elders; though who would dare use the word `elder' in front of the formidable Mma Ramotswe? In `the Tears of the Giraffe' Mr J.L.B. Matekoni is now fully under the spell of Mma Ramotswe and engaged to her. The story begins with the minutiae of their gentle Botswana lives but the outside world intrudes when an American woman seeks Mma Ramotswe's help to find a missing son, whom she presumes dead while at the same time Mr J.L.B. Matekoni adopts two children. McCall Smith's love of Africa and Botswana in particular, shines through his writing as he blends these themes of vibrant life and tragic loss, convincing in both stories.
Contrasting the simplicity of African life with western values might be contrived or dogmatic if not handled with skill but here that comparison is an integral part of the story. The sentence which sums up McCall Smith's underlying philosophy is, `This is what Africa could say to the world: it could remind it what it is to be human.' A valuable lesson from an engaging and charming story by an accomplished writer. Highly recommended!

The Age of Unreason: New Thinking For A New World
The Age of Unreason: New Thinking For A New World
by Charles Handy

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy's visionary work, 3 Mar 2013
As the author of Manage Your IT for Profit: Teach Yourself I was fortunate enough to meet Charles Handy and was struck by his wisdom and insight into how we manage our businesses. The key words that jump out at you from `The Age of Unreason' are `change,' `discontinuity', `upside down thinking' and `uncertainty'. The changes of the last twenty years have been immense and have challenged our comfortable perceptions of the world. Handy identifies how organisations and individuals must learn to cope with shifting work patterns. The book flows from argument to analysis and through theory to practical examples of how the future, as Handy sees it, might work. This book could have been written today and still have currency and relevance as a roadmap for an uncertain future.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and therefore reviewing this work twenty odd years after its publication, allows a privileged view. One thing impresses and must be emphasised. Handy's journey is one he has personally undertaken. Once you have finished `The Age of Unreason', reflect on the lessons learnt, then read `The Elephant and the Flea,' (2001), in which he describes how the independent life has worked for him. This is more of a reflective and philosophical work, than `The Age of Unreason' but the two can be seen as milestones in a rich and varied life.

Handy succeeds in painting an appealing picture of a future where many of us could work from home using our talents to their full and diverse potential. Read `The Age of Unreason' and imagine how Handy's vision could work for you. Haven't we all dreamed of waking in the morning and commuting an undemanding few yards down the corridor to our home office? Now, where did I put my pinstriped dressing gown?

Teach Yourself Growing Your Business (Teach Yourself Business Skills)
Teach Yourself Growing Your Business (Teach Yourself Business Skills)
by Kevin Duncan

5.0 out of 5 stars A very useful toolkit for growing a business, 3 July 2007
This book provides an effective set of tools to help businesses get over the often tricky growth stage which follows their start up phase. With his memorable and valuable `CHEW' method the author helps you focus on what's important and cut out the irrelevant. The book also encourages us to take time out to think deeply about our businesses. It's well worth reading just for the real life experiences of entrepreneurs in the question and answer section - it made me feel I'm not alone!