Profile for Michael G. Pagan > Reviews

Content by Michael G. Pagan

Michael G. Pagan (Herts UK)

Page: 1 | 2
So You Want To Write Radio Drama?
So You Want To Write Radio Drama?
by Claire Grove

5.0 out of 5 stars From A Grateful Playwright!, 23 Feb. 2016
I'm a Northern Irish playwright and novelist who lives in St Albans. In November I was asked to submit a play for broadcast in conjunction with the Abbey Theatre. I'd never written anything for radio before so after saying yes to the project the icy spike of fear and the obvious question, 'what the hell am I doing?' raised their heads. A chat with a theatre director and a quick search on Amazon pointed me towards this book. I found it invaluable as a well structured crash course in a new medium for me and it guided me away from the many deep traps I was about to wander straight into. Highly recommended.

Man on Fire
Man on Fire

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable, uplifting novel., 13 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Man on Fire (Kindle Edition)
This glitteringly brilliant novel explores themes encompassing our place in the world, how we find meaning and how we cope with our mortality. The author guides us through the streets of Navi Mumbai in the warm, human and eccentric company of Bibhuti Nayak and his family as he forges his own immortality breaking extreme records that make the reader wince while willing him on to success. Bibhuti is a character who, while aware of the power of those modern deities celebrity and media, draws his own philosophy and strength from the timeless traditions of India.
The second narrator, John Lock, is an Englishman running from his own demons and seeking meaning and solace as Bibhuti’s companion and assistant, roles that hold perils for both of them.
There are echoes of magical realism woven through the rich cast of characters who inhabit worlds seen and unseen, conscious and unconscious. Kelman’s use of vivid and often startlingly beautiful imagery, is the wellspring of a fascinating, deeply humane novel that has the potential to change how we see the world and find our own still centre when noise and striving are breaking around us. Despite the serious and profound nature of the novel’s themes there is a lightness and wit to the writing that makes it a real pleasure to read. I bought ‘Man on Fire’ the day it came out and it will live with me for a long time. Highly recommended.

Johnny Be Goode
Johnny Be Goode

5.0 out of 5 stars Still after all these years one of the great rock tracks, 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Johnny Be Goode (MP3 Download)
What energy! Still after all these years one of the great rock tracks. If you're feeling a bit dazed in the morning play Johnny Be Goode and you'll be wide awake!!

Frankly, Mr. Shankly (2011 Remastered Version)
Frankly, Mr. Shankly (2011 Remastered Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug. 2014
Excellent - Morrissey at his sarcastic finest

My Way Won: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!
My Way Won: How I took my book to the top of the charts...and how you can too!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're an indie author you need this book!, 3 July 2014
As a relatively new Kindle author this is an invaluable source of ideas for promoting my work on social media. It's a lean, waffle free, easy read. I found myself highlighting and bookmarking much of the immediately usable tips and will be referring to it frequently as I promote my latest novel Eat More Bloody Meat Y'Bastards!
I've already seen a threefold increase in sales of my earlier novel Thicker Than Water (A Dermot O'Hara Mystery Book 1) as a direct result of using the advice in this book. My Way is a must read for any indie author.

Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)
Eeny Meeny: DI Helen Grace 1 (A DI Helen Grace Thriller)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Yarn!, 13 May 2014
This novel grips like a pit bull with lockjaw from the start and doesn't let go. The evil premise at the heart of the work and the pace of the writing force the reader to observe violent events at disturbingly close range. The author has put his screen writing background to good use to keep tension throughout with a series of twists and turns leading to the brutal denouement. Recommended!

A Patch of Blue
A Patch of Blue
by Dewi Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars An Entertaining Glimpse Into A Lost World, 28 April 2014
This review is from: A Patch of Blue (Paperback)
As a poignant, charming glimpse into the small town Wales of fifty years ago, I recommend you read this collection of short tales set in the Welsh valleys. If a town is the sum of its people in all their glorious eccentricity and human frailty then Dewi Williams captures this well in 'A Patch of Blue'.
Williams fills each chapter with the colourful minutiae of the characters and events of his youth giving the reader a real flavour of village life in Wales. A gentle, entertaining and captivating read. Recommended!

The Lighthouse (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Book 13)
The Lighthouse (Inspector Adam Dalgliesh Book 13)

4.0 out of 5 stars `The Lighthouse.' A beacon for murder., 1 May 2013
As the author of Banshee (A Dermot O'Hara Mystery), a novel set on the coast of Kerry in Southern Ireland, I have a fascination with that part of us that exists between solid land and restless ocean and how it influences our character and behaviour. I also love lighthouses and islands so PD James was always going to have a head-start in winning my affection with this work! Throw in Cornwall where I've spent a happy holiday or three and I'm completely won over. James' clever twist is to heighten the intensity of the plot by dropping her creation Dalgleish on an island where everyone knows each other or at least thinks they do. Are they a captive audience, trapped victims or a community of killers? This device also serves to raise the expectation that it must be easier to catch a murderer on an island and keeps the dramatic tension piling up the whole way through. My only, minor, quibble is, could one island have so much misfortune in such a short time? Her attention to detail in the background and behaviour of her characters make this an excellent read. And it's very brave to choose a famous writer as the victim! Highly recommended.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 15, 2014 5:05 PM BST

The Screenwriter's Workbook: Exercises and Step-by-step Instructions for Creating a Successful Screenplay
by Syd Field

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for film writers!, 18 April 2013
When I was writing my first stage play Other People's Lives I hadn't yet discovered this book (I'm ashamed to say I'd never heard of Syd Field before that) and I struggled with the structure of the play. Eventually I completed the play and it went into production and was very well received. For my second play, 'Dancehall Sweethearts' I used Field's book from the beginning and it helped me create the outline framework of the play very quickly indeed. Specifically I used his paradigm and this was an effective tool to decide what scenes would work best within each Act and what additional scenes might be needed. Clearly there are significant differences between screen and stage writing but this book provides a creative platform for both. I've now also written a screenplay using it and for that of course it was invaluable. I would also say if anyone is suffering from the dreaded writer's block, relying on the structural approach of the book is a liberating experience which loosens the creative bonds. I recommend it highly.

The Double Comfort Safari Club: 11 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Double Comfort Safari Club: 11 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars Lady Detectives Out of Their (Double) Comfort Zone., 21 Mar. 2013
As the author of Banshee (A Dermot O'Hara Mystery) I have long been an admirer of the gentle and deceptively simple style of Alexander McCall Smith's writing. He immerses the reader in the minutiae of Botswana life bringing to his characters the familiarity of old friends. In `The Double Comfort Safari Club' it is a mark of his skill and confidence that he lets a seemingly unimportant decision (about a teapot of all things) play out over six pages, during which we gain a much deeper insight into the characters of the two women protagonists.

Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi become embroiled in a case which takes them away from Gaborone and into the dark, beautiful heart of a Botswana safari park. McCall Smith weaves a tale where decency, understanding and humanity are brought to bear on the problem facing Mma Ramotswe and her assistant. On the subject of Mma Makutsi; is it my imagination or is she becoming more chippy and feisty as the novels go on? Another highly recommended work from a master story teller!

Page: 1 | 2