Profile for S. Cole > Reviews

Content by S. Cole

S. Cole "Jamdog" (Halesowen, England)

The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
The Eye Of The World: Book 1 of the Wheel of Time: 1/12
by Robert Jordan
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars I wasn't disappointed..., 9 Jun 2013
Over the years, I've had many online discussions regarding my favourite books, and almost every time Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series has been mentioned by someone as their all-time favourite, or as a must-read series. Being a fan of fantasy and sci-fi fiction, I've always meant to get round to reading it at some point, but there always seems to have been other books higher up my to-read list.

Finally, I found myself in a situation where I'd read every book I owned, and was halfway through my last book - time to open Amazon and browse through my Wish List. The Eye of the World has been sitting in there for a while, and was a great price, so I decided to take the plunge into a new epic series - and I'm glad that I did.

The story is a classic among fantasy novels - poor farmer's son is destined to save the world, and a powerful magician drags him and a couple of friends on an epic journey. It worked well in Lord of the Rings, and in Terry Brookes' Shannara series, and although this gives the story a familiar feel, it is done in a way that keeps the reader enthralled from the start, right through to the last page. By the time I was a third of the way through book 1, I had already ordered books 2 and 3, and the 'prequel'.

Of course, the entire series is huge, but I am now halfway through the second book, and don't plan to stop until I've read all 15 books. If you like Tolkein or Brookes, then you'll love this!

Easy Squeezy EP
Easy Squeezy EP

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent EP, 18 Jun 2010
This review is from: Easy Squeezy EP (MP3 Download)
A uniquely refreshing musical experience, Lemonade Demons have been one of my favourite bands since their inception. This EP is comprised of five of their most loved hits, and will delight the ears of all listeners.

From the sublime Jellybean to the waltzing lyrics of Lost and Lucid, the whole EP is flavoured by the powerful voice of Kyle Parsons, nimble-fingered string plucking of Ian Cole, steady bass of Russ Pearson and expert drumming of Paul Smith. The four come together to produce a powerful sound that will leave you wanting more.

Datel USB Keyboard (PS2)
Datel USB Keyboard (PS2)

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT for use with YaBASIC - Overresponsive, 21 Feb 2003
The keyboard itself is great, but be warned! If you wish to use this keyboard with YaBASIC (which is on the Demo disk that comes with the PS2), then you may find that you get 3 or 4 characters with each keypress, which can be infuriating.
I have managed to write quite long programs using this keyboard, but it takes twice as long as it should, when you have to 'quick-tap' the keys, and then press the backspace key every few seconds. There is no way to adjust this either.
In short, if you just want to use the keyboard for 'Unreal' or 'Quake' or even the Action Replay cartridge, then by all means, get this one, but if you want to write your own games in YaBASIC, then there are other keyboards which don't have this problem.