Profile for Mr. R. J. Waring > Reviews

Content by Mr. R. J. Waring

Mr. R. J. Waring "Jude" (Bristol, South Gloucester United Kingdom)

Recipe for Love
Recipe for Love
by Katie Fforde

1.0 out of 5 stars Recipe for Disaster, 6 April 2013
This review is from: Recipe for Love (Paperback)
The up to date idea of setting the story around a cooking competition was fun. But the story Recipe for Love didn't go anywhere. Zoe, a very helpful girl (and goody two-shoes) falls for one of the judges of a cookery competition, in which she is a competitor, and then indulges in some hanky-panky with said judge Gideon Irving(Shortly after this the half-ton of towelling and the Cath Kitson pyjamas were on floor....).
Zoe is so helpful that she manages to juggle the demands of a cookery competition with making a wedding cake from scratch, supporting a heavily pregnant friend and doing a fab croquembouche. However, helpful Zoe also helps herself to the attractive Gideon, thus leaving them open to blackmail. Judges and competitors shouldn't be canoodling. "It doesn't get better than this," as Masterchef's John Torrode would say, has new connotations and new lows in this book.. And it doesn't get any better! Recipe for Love goes nowhere! The characters are awful, with no depth at all. Katie Fforde tries to make them more charismatic by throwing every formula at them. Eg Gideon wants to 'educate' people about eating (like Jamie Oliver). The character of Zoe is flimsy and implausible. She is a graduate, yet doesn't seem to have an interest beyond cooking and deli establishing. She seduces Gideon because 'she wants him' and then she throws the competition by adding extra salt to her 'wonderful' dishes rather than coming clean and telling the programme producers what she and the delectable Gideon have been up to. When you create such one-dimensional characters, it is difficult to find the necessary padding to make them creditable or appealing. And this is the overall problem with this book. I simply didn't care what happened to the characters. A disappointing read from an author that I usually enjoy.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book to end it !, 22 July 2007
This book was the best of the series! Every loose end from previous books was tied up, but at the same time it was a new adventure unfolding for Harry, Ron and Hermione. I really enjoyed the search for the horcruxes. The quest for acquiring each of the later horcruxes are imaginative and exciting chapters! On occasion a red herring, the Deathly Hallows, proved intrinsic to the plot.
The characters, both evil and good, are key to the success of this book, as they show what and for whom they were willing to die! The real hero's death, in the middle of the book had me in tears!
This was such a brilliant book and so many predictions are fulfilled and questions answered, that I am happy to leave the world of magic and go back to my muggle existence!

The Fiery Cross: (Outlander 5)
The Fiery Cross: (Outlander 5)
by Diana Gabaldon

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fiery Cross as the beginning of the end., 14 Mar. 2004
I started reading this series of books at the beginning of January. It has been difficult to put the books down. The characters are very finely drawn and each has an appeal of its own. But of course we are all drawn to the main characters and in Jamie Fraser and Claire Beauchamp we have enigmatic, heroic but also very humane characters. Jamie Fraser was fantastic from the start, but the art of Gabaldon has meant that he has become more clearly drawn as a hero of his time. Like Claire, we are drawn to his flame and we expect him to live up to our expectations. So far, he has not disappointed.
Writing in the first person, Claire has been our immediate contact with this new, though ancient world. Her honest and clear descriptions of events have meant that the reader has trusted her perceptions. I have been thrilled with how quickly unforeseen circumstances and events are presented to the reader, and left us stunned with the impact. I have also so relished how she has brought experience and (Historical) knowledge from her old world and tried to let it have bearing on her new.
Fiery Cross was great in that it drew lots of threads from previous books together. Made us fear for Jamie and Claire, because of what was ordained, but at the same time let them get on with ordinary life in 18th century America. I didn't expect to, but loved the development of the characters of Brianna, Roger and all.
I expect that Diana Gabaldon knew that Jamie's description of Claire as 'an Old One' would keep people like me drawn to her books.
As I said to my husband "I feel like they are old mates. I just want to see how things turn out for them".