Profile for HL > Reviews

HL

Emma
Emma

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointingly irritating and horrible., 10 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Emma (Kindle Edition)
Loved the first two in The Austen Project, especially Northanger Abbey. Had been looking forward to Emma with much excitement as it is my favourite of all Austen's works.
Well! What a total and utter disappointment!
Had I been able to give no stars at all, I would have.

Mr McCall Smith seems to think that to be 'updated' there needs to be homosexuality, drunk driving, nudity, rudeness, sulking, etc.
As others have said, he waffles on about nothing, saying the same thing in 8 different ways and I ended up reading just to see what the next bit of utter nonsense would be. Such hard work to get through it all, not a relaxing read in the way of the original.

There are many other re-tellings of Emma and none I've read have been as appalling as this. Such a shame one of them didn't make it to the Austen Project.

Geopuzzle Africa & the Middle East
Geopuzzle Africa & the Middle East
Offered by MMP Living

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 9 Mar. 2014
The group of 5 and 6 year olds I bought this for are loving it and ask to do it regularly.

Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension, Year 1
Brilliant Activities for Reading Comprehension, Year 1
by Charlotte Makhlouf

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, but fairly easy..., 9 Mar. 2014
If children can read (decode) fairly fluently then much of this book will be too easy and year 1 teachers may want to get the year 2 book for those children.
For those just beginning to read, this is excellent.
As an adult led activity this will be fine for non readers as well, because the 'texts' are pictures.

How To Have A Beautiful Mind
How To Have A Beautiful Mind
by Edward de Bono

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable, 30 Dec. 2013
This book was recommended to me and I was rather skeptical about it. However, I've read several chapters (the ones most relevant to me) and have gained an awful lot.
Perhaps some parts are common sense, but it is good to be reminded sometimes. Other parts have read almost like a bit of a lecture on how one should improve, probably not what the author intended, but useful nonetheless. Other bits have been new and interesting.
If all this sounds dull, be reassured the book isn't dull at all. It is very quick and easy to read an odd chapter here and there and then have a think about it. Then it is easy to look forward to reading more later.
The book may not be for everyone, and might be 'nothing new' for those who already have Beautiful Minds, but for me it has been perfect!

Love Bake Nourish: Healthier cakes, bakes and puddings full of fruit and flavour
by Amber Rose

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as many cakes as I'd expected, 30 Mar. 2013
Lovely book with beautiful photos and some very great ideas for cakes.
Some of the puddings are a bit odd to have in such a book, but lots of great meringue and pavlova ideas with heaps of fruit.
I'd like there to be nutritional information with each recipe, or certainly a calorie count. My initial 'likely to be favourite' comes in at over 400 calories before I add the topping!
All in all a good buy, so long as I remember that a healthy flour and honey instead of sugar do not make for less calories!

A Salad for All Seasons
A Salad for All Seasons
by Harry Eastwood

5.0 out of 5 stars Only looked at Winter so far..., 29 Mar. 2013
I know it is spring really, (end of march and Easter weekend!) but it feels like winter, so winter food it is.
However one's waistline cannot cope with winter comfort food for much longer, so this book has arrived at just the right time.

I've only looked at winter and have half a dozen I want to make right now...so this seems as if it will be an excellent buy.

Loved both her other books, so I imagine this one will be just as well used.

Fast, Fresh, Simple
Fast, Fresh, Simple
by Donna Hay

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodness...I want to cook every day from now until eternity!, 15 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Fast, Fresh, Simple (Paperback)
I bought this based on the reviews here and am not at all disappointed.
Love all the pictures, and the layout.
All the dishes seem to be just what I want to make forever more, hope the recipes work well.
And with almost all recipes for just two people it makes a refreshing change not to have to halve all the ingredients.
Excellent buy indeed, perfection would have needed nutrition information for the recipes as well, but still five stars for sure!