Profile for The Librarian > Reviews

Vanessa and Her Sister
Vanessa and Her Sister
by Priya Parmar

5.0 out of 5 stars Both hugely readable and fascinating, 16 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Vanessa and Her Sister (Hardcover)
I've never been particularly interested in the Bloomsbury crowd, but this vibrant and amusing novel has hooked me. It is set at the start of it all, rather than in the more usual Charleston days and it works well that Nessa, the apparently least effete and therefore probably the most relateable of them, narrates this in fictional diary form. Interspersed with ( what I assume to be) actual correspondence, the 'diary' brilliantly evokes the relentless ennervating pussy-footing that was necessary in all dealings with Virginia. " I have held my breath for twenty- seven years". It charts the passage of Virginia's antagonism to the Bells' marriage and her subsequent insinuation into it following the birth of Vanessa's first son. For me, the domestic detail and comparative familiarity of Vanessa's thoughts made me much more able to think of this extraordinary set as people rather than characters.

Hans Blomquist in Detail: Inspiring ideas for creative interiors
Hans Blomquist in Detail: Inspiring ideas for creative interiors
by Hans Blomquist

5.0 out of 5 stars ... us properly on Amazon what illustrated books actually look like inside) I was prepared to be diappointed, 26 Nov. 2014
I ordered this unseen ( can't be the only one who wishes publishers would get their act together and show us properly on Amazon what illustrated books actually look like inside) I was prepared to be diappointed, in fact - but I liked what I had seen of this stylist's work on-line so took the risk! Anyway, I'm delighted with this, and will be hanging on to it rather than giving it away as a present. I've already found several inspiring ideas and useful suggestions in it as well as, of course, many lovely images to peruse. My only criticism is that my eye was really longing for some more colour - loved the couple of pages he spends on subtle pinks and greens - but obviously he's known for the neutrals. If only RPS would give me a little more information about the inside of Hans Blomquist's other book, I might be tempted to order that too...

Interiors
Interiors
by Martyn Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful book; the interiors feel very creative, 17 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Interiors (Hardcover)
a beautiful book; the interiors feel very creative, varied and lively; the photographs have an aesthetic that pulls it all together. I look for both practical inspiration and visual excitement and this delivers. I shall very much enjoy dipping into this.

Her
Her
by Harriet Lane

5.0 out of 5 stars Harriet Lane writes beautifully; she's quite brilliant on the minutae of Middle ..., 6 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Her (Hardcover)
Devoured at a sitting. Harriet Lane writes beautifully; she's quite brilliant on the minutae of Middle Class life and, especially, how it feels to be immersed in looking after small children. I haven't read her first novel, so am now off to order it...

A World of Your Own
A World of Your Own
by Laura Carlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book let down by the publisher, 18 Sept. 2014
This review is from: A World of Your Own (Hardcover)
I love Laura Carlin. She rules - her book is brilliant; I've been eagerly awaiting it. But Phaidon- they've seriously f***ed me off. A huge price sticker on the back that rips the surface of the dust jacket however carefully it's removed - and American spellings throughout, which I find really unacceptable in a picture book.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2014 6:44 PM BST

PetSafe Outdoor Bark Control
PetSafe Outdoor Bark Control
Offered by Pet-Bliss - Delivering WORLDWIDE

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless. The dog barking constantly next-door ran he battery ..., 18 Sept. 2014
Useless. The dog barking constantly next-door ran he battery out within days and didn't appear to be affected by this at all. I did keep replacing the battery and tried it over the course of a month but to no avail.

Restly "The more that you read,the more things you wil know.The more that you learn,the more places you will go."English Proverbs Wall Stickers Decor Living Room Wallpaper
Offered by Exist Live

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great!, 3 Sept. 2014
Very pleased - excellent value for the impact it has made in the library - intending to buy more!

Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Sureflap Microchip Cat Flap
Offered by Online Pet Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic, 18 Jun. 2014
i have been through three cat flaps since i got my first cat eighteen months ago! the first, ordinary flap let in other cats so I decided to go for the microchip option and bought the only one sold in my local store - the Petsafe version. what followed was a nightmare, frankly - and the wretched thing is apparently supposed to remain permanently plugged into the mains... finally, i cut my (rather substantial) losses and bought this one - which is just perfect. It's a simple, plain design which runs off batteries and has a minimum of manually adjusted settings rather than an array of confusing flashing lights and complicated codes! Works perfectly - thank you so much.

Rooftoppers
Rooftoppers
by Katherine Rundell

3.0 out of 5 stars Just about good enough to gloss over the gaping gaps between rooftops, 18 May 2014
This review is from: Rooftoppers (Paperback)
I have been reading several children's books a week for fifty years, and professionally for thirty, often for review. I stand by my sense that, whoever the book is aimed at and whatever its subject matter, if has the potential to grab me and hold me and that's what makes me sit up and take notice. This one didn't quite manage to do that, even though, as someone who suffers from terrible vertigo, much of the high-rise stuff was so well- written that I could hardly bear it and my palms were sweaty! It is an old- fashioned book in the best sense, in the manner of I, Coriander and The Thief Lord. Children who've read it in school have adored it, though it's a little too whimsical for my taste. I think, however, that what is missing here is a decent editor. As other reviewers have pointed out, there are grammatical and spelling errors ?
( practise as a noun in an English children's book? Are we wasting our damned time in school, then?) But, more importantly, there are glaring gaps in continuity in the text. The worst of these is when Sophie revisits Matteo on his rooftop with the food. On the first visit, she has to cross a tightrope strung between buildings, clinging to him for balance. The next night, this extraordinary obstacle apparently no longer exists, as she discovers him already on his roof, her journey to get there suddenly irrelevant. This is not the only place where the impression is given of chunks of text having been removed and the gaps not sewn up.
If there's one thing I know, it's that the more incredible your story, the more consistent you must be with your version of reality. This is what makes Diana Wynne Jones, Joan Aiken et al the genii they are and what makes J.K. Rowling so successful. She may have other faults but she would never countenance such an inconsistency. I doubt if it's the writer's fault and I'm shocked that Faber, of all publishers, is so lackadaisical.

Plundering Paradise
Plundering Paradise
by Geraldine McCaughrean

5.0 out of 5 stars Why, why this awful cover for a truly wonderful book?, 28 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Plundering Paradise (Paperback)
OUP have a history of giving Geraldine McCaughrean's books the MOST unattractive, dull, old-fashioned covers. In the case of this one, they have really gone to town with the lurid purple and fey-looking pirate. Who on earth do they imagine this is going to attract? Not girls - and certainly not boys! It makes the life of anyone whose job it is to put powerful writers like McCaughrean into the hands of children so very much more difficult. Why can't publishers do more research into which covers attract children? Good covers can give classics a new lease of life; they are all-important to modern children, who are in general very visually sophisticated.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4