ARRAY(0xab1c3360)

Profile for A. M. Long > Reviews

Content by A. M. Long

A. M. Long "Ali Long" (Leeds, UK)

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything
by Elizabeth Gilbert
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 22 Dec 2010
I suppose for most, this would be a good holiday read as long as you are not wound up by self indulgence. For me, there was an underlying 'woe is me' theme to this book, which became rather boring after a while. I think for the many strong women out there, who have endured greater trials than Elizabeth Gilbert, this book could verge on a bit vulgar.

If I had managed to skip the first few 'I had it all, then decided i wasn't happy' chapters and went straight to the 'eat' section I would be rating the book higher. I'm a bit of a food lover, so reading of holidaying and eating in Italy was very enjoyable but after that, the book no longer had me hooked and i finished the book only because i had started it. The 'pray' section was ok, although from other reviews i've read i understand some people thought it rather boring, but i suppose that depends on how you feel about faith and religion. The 'Love' section was good towards the end, but by that point, the book felt dragged out, and i was no longer engaged in the story.

Plenty
Plenty
by Yotam Ottolenghi
Price: 17.42

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm trying hard to like this book, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: Plenty (Hardcover)
I bought this book based on reviews, and I just don't get the hype attached. It feels like a half measure. The recipes are OK, but involve quite a number of ingredients which are genuinely hard to come by on a day to day basis, so for me, as i don't live close to a specialist store, it takes a lot of planning for.

There are some good ideas for varied salads and the Garlic Tart, and the 'surprise' tart are good, but for me it's one of those books that I'll probably use a couple of times, but it will never become a favourite.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2014 8:49 PM BST

Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
Rick Stein's Far Eastern Odyssey
by Rick Stein
Price: 17.42

5.0 out of 5 stars really authentic, delicious recipes, 2 Nov 2009
This book is now in my top five. If it wasn't for Leith's Cookery Bible, it might even be at the top! Having traveled throughout south east asia this books offers some of the most authentic recipes i've come across - some of which I've been trying to find for years. The Vietnamese section is particularly excellent as is the Indonesian. I've now cooked a number of the recipes, from each of the sections and each one has been just delicious. The Nasi Goreng is just fantastic. The curry paste base has quite a number of ingredients, but it's so worth making fresh. The aroma's are reminiscent of street food on the Gilli Islands!

If you like 'far eastern' food, then this really is the book for you. I was amazed at the volume of recipes in the book, it makes it feel like a really good value buy! It's great to find a cook book that brings together such excellent cuisine from so many different countries, but doesn't only focus on chinese or Thai cuisine. The glossary section at the back of the book is particularly useful, and as a result, i've discovered some great new ingredients from our local Asian supermarket.

The fact that you can still watch the program on BBC iPlayer, is also nice as you can watch either Rick, or local people from the various countries preparing some of the dishes.

I've got to say, some of the recipes are technically challenging and some require preparation and planning, but for me, that's the enjoyment of cooking.

Buy it, it's excellent.

NEW Beto Mini Pump 2 Way Alloy With Gauge
NEW Beto Mini Pump 2 Way Alloy With Gauge
Offered by bikes4life limited
Price: 9.89

1.0 out of 5 stars don't waste your time, 26 May 2009
Very poor pump. I don't get the design at all, firstly where you'd expect the valve to lock, it's open, when you'd expect it to open, it's locked making it difficult to maneuver between the forks. Also, as the handle is straight, it makes it hard to actually pump as you need to use a pull push motion that somehow seems more difficult than it should be, especially as the pressure in the tyre increases. The pressure gauge is totally on the wrong side. I simply don't get this product. needless to say, it's going back. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Leiths Cookery Bible
Leiths Cookery Bible
by Prue Leith
Price: 21.70

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just such a joy, 7 Dec 2008
This review is from: Leiths Cookery Bible (Hardcover)
I love this book. It's one of those cook books where you discover something new and delicious every time you pick it up. There's a good mix of easy straight forward recipies, that you'd be able to rustle up for dinner after work, paired with those that you'd save for the weekend to impress friends and relatives with. It has recipies for the basics; (sauces, pastry, deserts,) and always seems to come up with the goods when you can't quickly find a recipe elsewhere "i wonder if there's a good recipe for bread sauce in leith..... oh yes, there it is!" I'm really enjoying being an owner of this book, and have eaten well for the last couple of months as a result. I think you would too. In fact, i'm so impressed, i've just been looking into the cookery courses offered at Leith's cookery school!

Vietnam (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
Vietnam (Lonely Planet Country Guides)
by Nick Ray

2.0 out of 5 stars I'd go for the Rough Guide, 9 Nov 2008
having left our copy of the Rough Guide to Vietnam in a taxi in Saigon during the first week of our trip, we had no option but to purchase a copy of Lonely Planet. We were very disappointed, if you stuck to the Lonely planet, you'd only see a quarter mile radius of where you land, and miss out on so much that vietnam offers. It felt as if the author lands at the local backpacker haunt, then does door to door reviews of the closest hotels, bars and restaurants. The reviews also seem to act as a reason for a price hike as prices don't reflect what the lonely planet suggests. Yes, there's inflation, but it was published only last year and the prices really did seem way off, even though we were traveling during the low season.

You'd be able to get by with the lonely planet, and if you're not an adventurous traveller and are happy to follow the crowd, then this would be a fine purchase for you, but the Rough guide seemed to provide so much more detail. The one positive in favour of the Lonely Planet over the Rough Guide, is the language section which provides Vietnamese phonetically which makes getting your tongue round the tonal language much easier.

Sardinia (Lonely Planet Regional Guides)
Sardinia (Lonely Planet Regional Guides)
by Paula Hardy

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish i'd have taken the Rough Guide, 2 Jun 2008
Well, having returned from a two week tour of Sardinia, we feel rather let down by this lonely planet. This book provides some good historical information about the island, however it feels rather repetitive throughout and the space could be better used to provide travelers with the information that would improve their stay. Sardinia has some magnificent inland and coastal sights, towns, and places to stay, but the lonely planet took us to some areas of Sardinia which when we arrived, we sat wondering why the resort had been listed. We also found some absolute gems which were only mentioned in passing and had we not been willing to venture off the beaten track we would have missed them.

If you want a travel book which tells you about a county's past, (over and over) then this is fine, however if you set off wanting to explore the island, and find good restaurants, good value places to stay, or beautiful beaches, then you'd be better off buying the competition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 28, 2009 9:40 AM GMT