Profile for englishmom > Reviews

Content by englishmom

englishmom (UK)

Charley Harper: The Animal Kingdom (Books of Postcards)
Charley Harper: The Animal Kingdom (Books of Postcards)
by Pomegranate

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with quality, 7 Mar. 2013
The designs are great - fun and quirky, but it is the quality of the postcard that made me give it only three stars. As described, the postcards come in a book, with perforated edges to tear out. I have never so much trouble with postcards before! I bent along the perforation, and gently pulled, with the first few coming out OK, but slightly bent, due to the flimsy "card"(more on that later), then, as I got further into the book, they started to tear and rip. As my daughter and I take part in the Postcrossing project, I like to scan them, so they are ready to upload when needed, but these damaged ones, I can't use, as they just look too awful to use ( I would use the word "tatty"); I ended up taking the book apart to try and minimise the damage.

The card is actually thick shiny paper, which makes me think how it will survive a journey through the UK inland mail, never mind to the other side of the world. A real disappointment, as the designs deserve better quality and won't be buying again, unless the publisher has a radical re-think about this product, as I would happily pay more for these in a box, printed on proper card like the Penguin, Puffin, and Ladybird ones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 8, 2014 9:28 AM BST

Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World
Charles Dickens and the Great Theatre of the World
by Simon Callow

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for all Dickens Fans, 16 April 2012
Before reading this, what I knew about Dickens are the basic facts that the media had brought into the public eye. After this, I felt I had been whipped up into the whirlwind the was the life of Charles Dickens; he seemed to fit two or three times as much into his life than an average person.

I found it such an easy and accessible read, that I could read at least twenty to thirty pages without even noticing I had done so. Mr Callow has done an exceptional job on writing this book, which the comment on the back cover is correct in saying, that he is only the person that could have written this. This book deserves it's place among the best of (and I will quote Mr Callow) "...the non-stop tsunami of scholarly studies on Dickens..."

Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
Bread: River Cottage Handbook No. 3
by Daniel Stevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Bread Making Explained, 24 July 2011
This book is written in such a laid back way, with a bit of humour, that even those, like me, who feel that they don't have the confidence to make bread, are slowly enticed to do so. Yes, it is a bit technical, but the knowledge of how the ingredients work with each other, will make you a better baker. A must for all budding bakers!

Flashman (The Flashman Papers)
Flashman (The Flashman Papers)
by George MacDonald Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Addictive!, 30 Nov. 2005
I originally bought this as part of my husbands Christmas box, and couldn't resist having a read of the first few pages. Well, that was it, I was totally hooked! I did a bit of lying of my own to stay in and finish the book (I read it in a weekend!). My husband gave me a few funny looks when I was laughing at Flashman getting into a fix, and wheedling himself out of it! I'm gald I looked beyond the 'Boy's Own' adventure type image, and now I'm looking forward to reading the rest!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2013 11:25 PM BST