Profile for Anarasha > Reviews

Wesco DR109 Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver Torch
Wesco DR109 Dr Who Sonic Screwdriver Torch
Price: 11.28

3.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described - nothing more, 8 Nov 2013
First off, I want to note, there was NOTHING wrong with the service I recieved from amazon or anyone involved in the process. Fast shipping, good communication. I am reviewing the item solely based on the item - which arrived in perfect condition.

>> Posive/Negative list at the bottom if you don't want to read the entire review <<

I bought this Sonic Screwdriver to go with my 11th Doctor outfit for the 50th screening at my local cinema - and it is exactly as described, nothing more, nothing less.
The button to activate it is at the bottom, not at your thumb as I would have expected. This is an annoyance, surely.
Furthermore, the screwdriver is very small - probably designed for children if I had to guess. For a child's hand, it is probably a good size, but for a grown Whovian, I would suggest a different version.
The green light at the edge is decent, but what disappointed me about this product was that there is no sound at all! Nothing!
If the description had clarified that there would be no sound, I probably wouldn't have gotten it.
To top it all off, the top can't spring out - which at the price is fair, but still contributes to an inferior product. I would have gone with having to push it out manually like 9's screwdriver(the blue one) - I wouldn't expect spring loading in a cheap toy.
However, it is perfect for finishing that 11 costume you are working on if you are working on a tight budget, or if you just don't want to spend too much on it.
It DOES actually look like 11's screwdriver - however, it doesn't look like ceramic and metal, it does look like plastic. This is expected and fully acceptable.
The green tip surprised me in a good way. I had expected a deform blob with sharp edges based on the price, but it is actually very nice! And with a small hole at the tip that lets it spread it's light so it has a bit of function as a weak torch.
The batteries are easily accessible. There is a screw that needs to be unscrewed at the tip part, under the head, and then you have the batteries.

To sum up my points:

The positive:
- Very decent to complete that costume you are working on if you are on a tight budget
- DOES actually look like 11's screwdriver - just smaller
- The green tip is very nice - not cheap, sharp and ugly as you could expect at the price
- Easily accesible batteries - just need a non-sonic Phillips screwdriver
- The tip actually shines some green light that can light up a little bit - for instance for cleaning your keyboard
- Very cheap

The negative:
- Very small for an adult
- No sound!!
- No movable head
- Inconvenient button placement

For the price, this is a good product I guess, but if you want something proper, don't get this. I wouldn't have.