Profile for William S. Bailey > Reviews

Content by William S. Bailey

William S. Bailey "wsbbailey" (Suffolk, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Primeval - Episode 3
Primeval - Episode 3
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars What a shame, 13 Nov. 2014
A tremendous cast, pretty good effects, but a modest story line full of stock characters behaving in a bizarre fashion. I can believe in a link allowing animals to walk between the Forest of Dean or London Underground and N millions of years in the past, but not that a young boy is believed to have caused the massive damage that a large dinosaur did to his home. Describing every scene of the first two instalments would be describing similar unlikely events, but the scripts provided for a Home Office official with the brain of a lobotomised canary and the behaviour of Attila the Hun are probably the lowest points.

Dodger
Dodger

3.0 out of 5 stars It is not Flat Earth, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Dodger (Hardcover)
I have read each flat earth novel many times, and T.P. writes his books with regular readers in mind, I think. There is a greater depth to these books than is possible in a "Stand-alone", and this makes the present volume a little disappointing for me. He can hardly be criticized for wishing to write in new areas, but I am more comfortable reading his established work.

Zulu Rising: The Epic Story of iSandlwana and Rorke's Drift: The Battle of Isandlwana 1879
by Ian Knight

3.0 out of 5 stars Welsh, and very proud of these men, though not of the idiots who place them there., 1 Jan. 2013
Bought as a present, I have read another of this author's works, and find it a great read - but I have to admit to being Welsh.

The Long Earth
The Long Earth

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much trace of Terry Pratchett, 1 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Long Earth (Hardcover)
I have read early Terry Prachett, and thought The Dark Side of the Sun an excellent book, it was completely believable, with many of TP's asides and insights. I have read this latest book and can detect no trace of T.P. whatsoever. I have not read the other author's works and have not been persuaded to look for any.

Imperia Italian Double Cutter Pasta Machine
Imperia Italian Double Cutter Pasta Machine

3.0 out of 5 stars Fair to middling, 1 Jan. 2013
Not a good person to write a review as I have had a somewhat similar one for many years, and this one seems to be right -handed, and the other was left, so I have a lot of adjustment to make. The main flaw seems to be the thickness control, which is hard to use, compared to my old one

Tamarind & Saffron: Favourite Recipes from the Middle East (Penguin Cookery Library)
by Claudia Roden

5.0 out of 5 stars I like tasty food, 21 Aug. 2012
Claudia Roden's books have been available for many years and have always been recognised as among the best. My earliest one is a soft-covered Penquin, much used and much revered. Modern books have got larger, with better paper and fantastic pictures. The text is very good, I prefer it to that of Elizabeth David, who is sometimes patronising. The Mediterranean seems to be the centre of attention these days, but Ms Roden has the right to discuss the cuisine of the region due to her experience, family connections and writing skills. Her new Spanish book is also excellent, with a great sense of history, and not the feeling of the writer rushing around in a camper-van hardly stopping to write down the next recipe.

The World of Poo (Discworld)
The World of Poo (Discworld)

3.0 out of 5 stars It is Terry Pratchett, but ..., 4 July 2012
I buy just about everything written by Mr Pratchett, but on this occasion I found the humour rather lacking. I normally believe implicitly in the most outrageous character and circunstance, but this one has me beat. Nicely produced, lovely endpapers, but not my scene. Pity.

Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Zumba Fitness Wii - Bundle Pack with Belt accessory
Offered by Warby 4 Games & Gifts

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful christmas present, 2 Jan. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Given as a Christmas present to my daughter who wanted a different way of exercising: she has been very happy with the product and claims to have lost weight quite pleasurably.

Kenwood Mincer and Food Grinder Attachment AT950 - for Kenwood Chef and Major
Kenwood Mincer and Food Grinder Attachment AT950 - for Kenwood Chef and Major

5.0 out of 5 stars I like Christmas, 19 Dec. 2010
I am afraid we like a lot of good food at Christmas, and we like to be sure it is good. Sausages , pate and such are pleasant to fantastic, and some of the pleasure is in making sure that the pate is as you like it and contains none of the left-over meats which should not be there. There is no alternative, then, but to make your own, in a well lit kitchen, with lots of family help, might be better if you can look out of the window and watch the reindeer cropping on the snow, but the main thing really needed is a good powered mincer - and this is it.

The Last Chronicle of Barset
The Last Chronicle of Barset
by Anthony Ed Trollope

5.0 out of 5 stars Really the Last Chronicle of Barset, 18 July 2010
I had to buy a second-hand copy of this work to replace a copy worn out over the years. The edition was far better than my old version, seemed almost untouched, clean and undamaged, a book well worth owning. The text was of course the same as always, but if you need or only would like a copy do not hesitate to buy second-hand.

Page: 1 | 2