Profile for Techrod > Reviews

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful ending, 5 Aug 2013
This review is from: Gone Girl (Kindle Edition)
Although I read the book to the end, I found both main characters disappointing. Amy is saccharine nasty and gets no come-uppance. Nick is lame. Nothing life-affirming here, just a rather poor who-dun-it with possibly the lamest ending I've ever read. Take note: when a book gets hundreds of bad reviews, there is usually a reason.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2014 5:24 PM GMT

A Plague Of Dissent
A Plague Of Dissent
Price: 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great and topical page turner, 29 July 2013
Read it overnight and lost some sleep - testimony to a great story with many believeable characters. Can't wait for next installment.

It lost a star in my rating due to extremely sloppy editing in far too many instances and the author's apparently loose understanding of how to properly render conditionality in his sentences. I also thought a couple of opportunities for story development were overlooked, e.g. the first scene when the girl gets run over by a bus had no storyline consequences. Either that or the episode was superflous except as a background scene-setter.

Nevertheless, a rip-roaring read and very compelling, especially in view of this being a debut novel.

Viveza: The Secret to Creating Breathtaking Photography (The Lightweight Photographer Books)
Price: 2.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 12 Jun 2013
A reasonably comprehensive though short review of Viveza2's controls with before/after illustrations and just three worked examples. Examples were all landscapes so look elsewhere for other photography types. Text was uninspiring, in stark contrast to the 'breathtaking' adjective in the title, and also suffered from a few editorial oversights. I don't feel I learnt anything that I couldn't using the free tutorials on the Nik site or even some of the more detailed reviews. Kindle as always is not a great format for photography books as it doesn't anchor text and images very well.

66Fit Wobble Board & DVD - Pvc Surface - Blue, 50 cm
66Fit Wobble Board & DVD - Pvc Surface - Blue, 50 cm
Price: 24.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works, 9 May 2013
Strengthens ankle ligaments, easy to use and store. Best to put it on a thick mat (I use a rugged front door one) if you have a wooden floor.

The Hit (Will Robie 2)
The Hit (Will Robie 2)
Price: 3.32

4.0 out of 5 stars Great page-turner, 9 May 2013
Not quite up there with his best, but a good plot, mind-swerving twists, and good characterisation. On the last, Baldacci has done better however, especially in the Camel Club series, hence the 4 stars. If you just want the plot and twists, this is a five-star read.

Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD
Nikon D7100 Digital SLR Camera Body (24.1MP) 3.2 inch LCD
Offered by Camera Shot
Price: 809.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great camera but not quite perfect, 20 April 2013
Generally very pleased, especially colours and image quality and I already have a large number of great photos that I could not have achieved with my prior camera (a Nikon D60). Most people extol the D7100's virtues so I won't overly repeat and will list a few imperfections in this otherwise stellar camera.

(a) The shutter is a bit loud (haven't yet tried the quiet mode).
(b) It's clear the camera struggles to empty its buffer fast enough to the SD card so you can't take many rapid fire photos. This is noticeable with even SanDisk SDHC UHS-1 95Mb/s cards. On slower SD cards, it's really irritating so do get the faster UHS-1 cards. This may improve when I take RAW only but I am obliged to take RAW + JPEG for the moment, whilst waiting for Apple to bring out its RAW support for the D7100 on Aperture.
(c) Understanding the various auto-focus modes takes a while and I've had a few out-of-focus shots as a result. The manual is very poor on this subject but there's help out there on the forums. Otherwise AF is very good as many people have commented.
(d) The lock buttons for the mode dials are a bit fiddly, especially the lower dial - be aware and test beforehand if you have fat fingers.
(e) I'd prefer the cropped part of the picture to be greyed out in the additional 1.3X crop mode rather than just rely on a framing box in the viewfinder. As I do sports shots a lot, this additional crop mode was a key interest point for me. I just think greying out helps better with composition - a possible firmware upgrade Nikon?
(f) I've always found the Nikon JPEG engine to be unexceptional and this is also the case here, though it looks like you can change a lot of its parameters so maybe you can push it to deliver what you want. My preference is to shoot RAW and the detail and range of the D7100 RAW files is remarkable. The RAW images respond well to quite minor post-processing tweaks (tested in a Lightroom trial version, which already has D7100 support, whilst I wait for Aperture support).

On the whole these are minor niggles. The D7100 does exactly what you want from a camera of this type: deliver stunning photos and gives the enthusiast photographer a lot of control over the options. My real rating is probably nearer 5 than 4 but I always look at the 3 and 4 ratings first as they tend to be more informative.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 20, 2013 6:52 PM BST

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy)
by Stieg Larsson
Price: 14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best of All Time, 23 Jan 2011
Simply one of the best thrillers of all time with imaginatively and compulsively drawn characterisation. If you haven't yet read Larsson, this, the first of this compelling trilogy, is where to start. I bought this hardback to replace the tattered paperback version I bought when shortly after it first came out. Mostly because of bad quality in the paperback version I have to say as it didn't quite sustain two reads before falling apart. Now I have a matching set of all three books in hardback. Pretty on the shelf but even better when read or re-read on a cold winter's day as you lap up Mikael and Lisbeth's amazing and revelatory journeys through plot, self-awareness and a Swedish winter.

Dead or Alive
Dead or Alive
by Tom Clancy

2.0 out of 5 stars Just Not a Page-Turner, 21 Jan 2011
This review is from: Dead or Alive (Hardcover)
As another reviewer has commented, it's hard to put your finger on precisely what's wrong. My surmisal is that Clancy was responsible for the plot, which is inherently good (though not his best) and thus likely to be the product of his still working imagination. But the detailed storyline and prose I have to assume is Blackwood (why else use him?), which though not uniformly awful, drags and frankly is stilted and ponderous in too many places. Thus the context and plot are classic Clancy, but the feel, the drive, the pace of the book are not. Unfortunately, this is Clancy on beta-blockers: normally I would read a Clancy in two overnight sittings; I managed to get to the end of this one over two weeks but was tempted on several occasions to put the book down.