Profile for G. E. Langridge > Reviews

Content by G. E. Langridge

G. E. Langridge (Surrey, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 1)
Date Night on Union Station (EarthCent Ambassador Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amusing and humorous sci fi, 9 July 2014
Kelly is acting consul for the human race on a space station. She's in her thirties and single and both her mother and her best friend think she should be hitched up by now. She gets a gift subscription to the space station dating agency, which claims to find the perfect match for anyone, but finds that its success is much more limited when it comes to humans. Her failed dates may be advancing her career but will her love life ever take off?

This book is much more fun that it sounds from the summary and it's extremely well tied together so that the failed matches are not just a series of random events but form part of the overarching plot. The sci fi setting is well written and there is an interesting relationship between earth humans and the main alien sentient beings.

The writing is good and my only caveat is that the ending feels rushed. I'll be looking out for any more fiction by the same author in future.

Stray (Touchstone Book 1)
Stray (Touchstone Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars A free taste of an epic adventure, 21 Jun 2014
This is part one of a trilogy and (as the author makes clear) the books don't stand alone but you have an entire volume to decide if they are worth spending money on. I didn't wait to finish the first book before choosing to buy the sequels and for me, it was money well spent.

Seventeen-year-old Cass is unexpectedly stranded on another world and has to try find a way to get home. The three books tell the story of her struggles in a place that is different from and yet similar to the Earth, with technology that is so advanced as to seem at times like magic.

The only clues to this book being self-published are the price, and the level of originality in the world building and the story-telling. This was not like any other book I've read recently and I loved watching Cass develop and grow and seeing how the people around her changed as they worked together and got to know each other. It felt like an epic journey from start to finish and the ending (in book 3) was truly satisfying.

There is a huge cast of characters and many settings: the glossary at the end of Book 1 is very useful. I wish I'd realised it was there sooner.

I recommend giving this trilogy a try by getting the first book. It's a substantial chunk of the story and will give you the chance to see if you want more.

Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
Amazon: pay living wages to your workers
by Amazon Anonymous

5.0 out of 5 stars Come on amazon!, 12 Jun 2014
You can afford to pay your workers a decent wage so please do it.

The Book Depository is a useful alternative source of books and I shall miss the ease of using my Kindle but I'm willing to go elsewhere if that's what it takes.

A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity Series Book 2)
A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity Series Book 2)
Price: 2.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read if you like technology or near future sci fi, 2 Jun 2014
This is a Young Adult novel that focusses heavily on technology. I enjoyed most of the book, including some of the earlier techie parts, but as the book nears its climax it focusses more on battles between technologies and I lost interest. If you enjoy battles, then you might like that part!

The characters were interesting, including the AIs, and so was the plot but I felt that the novel lacked depth.

There was a nice tidying up of most of the loose ends at the end of the book but I was left with mixed feelings about it. Currently, it is free for Kindle, and that makes it definitely worth giving it a try!

With Zombies: Assured Destruction Book #3
With Zombies: Assured Destruction Book #3
Price: 1.85

4.0 out of 5 stars A good ending to the series, 22 May 2014
I nearly didn't get this book because I don't like zombies but I'm glad I did (and there are no zombies in it!)

It's a sequel to Assured Destruction and Script Kiddie and rounds the series off nicely. I enjoyed it more than Script Kiddie, which really left me hanging, and I think buying all three books as a single volume makes sense if you haven't read any of them yet (and isn't expensive for the standard of writing).

It's quite an upbeat book. If Janus has any more adventures in the future I'll be interested to read them.

Hedge Witch (The Cloven Land Trilogy Book 1)
Hedge Witch (The Cloven Land Trilogy Book 1)
Price: 1.53

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read (spoiler-free review), 4 May 2014
I don't want to give away too much of the story because part of the enjoyment on a first read is finding out what is going on.

There are two hedge witches: one in our world and one in the world of Andar, and the story initially moves between the two. Cait is introduced to the danger she (and our whole world) is in, then we move to Andar and find the danger that threatens there. The characters from the two worlds meet and there is a long and often apparently hopeless chase as they try to escape the evil threatening both worlds and maybe even try to bring it to an end. The book ends inconclusively; I shall have to wait for the next one to find out how they get on.

I enjoyed the characters, including one that struck me as particularly amusing and unusual, and the way they interacted; the occasional humour; the imaginative world-building; and the well-chosen details in the descriptions. I found the escapes from enemy clutches became a bit repetitive but not enough to stop me from reading on.

Although I really don't like stories that aren't complete in themselves, I'm willing to give this one a pass because I do want to find out what happens next.

Sunstruck (The Bigfoot Mysteries Book 1)
Sunstruck (The Bigfoot Mysteries Book 1)
Price: 1.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Lose yourself in another world, 8 April 2014
Sunstruck is a paranormal story, a cop buddy story, and a mystery story, but it's somehow more than any of these. The author has taken a previously neglected creature, the Bigfoot, and created an entire culture that is both intriguing and convincing. As with the best science fiction, this gives a standpoint from which we can take a look at our own world from the outside. I really enjoyed that aspect of the story: seeing our world through the eyes and nose of an alien, albeit a terrestrial alien.

The Bigfoot culture is gradually unveiled throughout the story and it becomes apparent that it is very different from our own. I was reminded of Ursula le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness for the sheer sense of reality of this creature who is so different and yet so similar to us. The story raised questions for me about difference and how we handle difference, and about religion and cultural beliefs but this was handled lightly and without labouring the points.

The developing relationship between Ari (the Bigfoot) and her OCD partner Ben is also very well done and I enjoyed their interchanges. Each chapter of the book is narrated by either Ari or Ben so you get the chance to see how their relationship appears to each of them.

I found the first few chapters very densely written and had to go back and check a couple of times where I'd read past something important. I also felt mildly confused until some of the important facts about Ari had been revealed a little later in the book. This didn't take away from my pleasure and I think this was because the book is so well written that it entertained me at every step along the way.

There is a plot: a murder mystery to be solved, and this was satisfactorily resolved in the end but for me this was the least important aspect of the book. I just thoroughly enjoyed stepping into Ari and Ben's world and I can't wait for the next book to come out so I can join them there again.

Script Kiddie: Assured Destruction Book #2
Script Kiddie: Assured Destruction Book #2
Price: 1.91

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to read the sequel, 25 Feb 2014
I enjoyed the technical aspects of this book and having the main character be a young girl who is a hacker. Unusually, she isn't portrayed as being impossibly brilliant at the start of the book, she's just very good at computers and you see her learning hacker techniques as the book goes on. I did also find her annoying in places when she makes a lot of wrong decisions which seem to have as motivation "will move the plot forward". On the other hand, she is a complex character in a complex situation and her relationship with her mother and her mother's boyfriend were out of the ordinary.

I thought this book was better written than the first book and although there were many places where I had to suspend disbelief I enjoyed reading it.

I bought my own Kindle copy of this book and now I want to buy the sequel when it comes out and I think that speaks for itself.

A Charming Crime (Magical Cures Mystery Series Book 1)
A Charming Crime (Magical Cures Mystery Series Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great ideas but a shame about the writing, 17 Feb 2014
This could be a charming story about a young woman coming into psychic powers, the village she moves to with all its quirky residents, and the murder she solves, but unfortunately it's spoilt by very poor writing. Not just mistaken words (crumbled is used a lot in place of crumpled) but sentences that don't follow on from each other and leaps of logic that make no sense in terms of the characters.

I read the book through to the end and the plot is fully resolved but I would only recommend this book if you really like quirky stories and aren't at all fussed about how they play out, or if you are very, very bored.

I gave it three stars because it deserves five stars for ideas but only one for the writing. I didn't hate it but it was an extremely irritating read in places.

FiiO E06 Portable Headphone Amplifier
FiiO E06 Portable Headphone Amplifier
Offered by EA Audio
Price: 20.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a few hours, 21 Jan 2014
This worked for the first few hours and gave good tone and volume. I was able to hear speech clearly through my mono headphone - I have hearing problems and only one ear really works, so this was useful to me.

But after a few hours it suddenly stopped working. I rebooted the program I was using, turned off and on, and it worked again for a while then suddenly stopped again. Turning it off and on set it working but for shorter and shorter periods of time until it was working for less than a second at a time.

I was able to return it for a refund but now I'm left with my headphone volume too low again and I'm very disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3