Profile for Mr. R Anderson > Reviews

Mr. R Anderson

Ring
Ring

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the films, 14 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Ring (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this ebook expecting a good but scare free story. Was I wrong.
Ring is the story of a cursed video tape that after watching gives you one week before death. Asakawa watches this tape shortly after discovering the deaths of four teenagers who had watched the video. What follows is a week of investigation and discovery.
The story is much the same as the films with several major differences and includes a lot more explanation than the movies. The largest difference is the main protagonist who is now a man instead of the woman in both American and Japanese films, I can't say whether this is better or worse but it is definitely a different take.
Was it scary? In places there is a terrible feeling of dread that only your imagination can create, unlike the movie where you are open to someone elses interpretation. I would say the best way to read this is in the dark with only a reading light for maximum effect.
This book also incorporates (although in a slightly different way) the story that is told in 'Ring 0' of Sadako's origins.
I would definitely recommend this to anyone who enjoyed the 'Ring' and 'The Ring' films and anyone who is a fan of horror in general.

Belkin TuneStage Bluetooth Receiver and Transmitter Kit for iPod
Belkin TuneStage Bluetooth Receiver and Transmitter Kit for iPod

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with HTC Desire and Dream/G1, 12 Oct. 2010
I bought this in the knowledge it may not work with all bluetooth equipment. Upon receiving this I paired it with my (then) T-Mobile G1 and played music using Spotify Mobile, to my surprise it worked great! The only fault I have found is that in order to connect each time you need to manually connect on the phone end within 30 seconds of turning on the Tunestage. Not too much trouble doing this using Android as it is only 3 touches from the home screen.
I recently replaced my old G1 with a HTC Desire and it works the same!
Great device for budget streaming to an old hifi.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't know how I managed before, 12 Oct. 2010
I received my Kindle WiFi as a gift and have not stopped reading since. This has been a revolution in how I read. Because of the size of the Kindle it is great to throw in a bag or fit in a (big) jacket pocket, this means I have read much more than before because it is always at hand. Even when on the rare occasion I don't have my actual Kindle with me I can have a quick read on my HTC Desire which remembers what location I was at on my Kindle.
The price of books is a little higher than I would like but I tend to read older books anyway which are generally quite cheap.
Each year I would generally read a couple of books but in the month since receiving my Kindle 3 I have read 4 books and several short stories. The sheer compactness of my book collection has changed the way I read forever, this is the iPod for eBooks!

The Time Machine [DVD] [1960]
The Time Machine [DVD] [1960]
Dvd ~ Rod Taylor
Offered by ycousins2

5.0 out of 5 stars A great version of a brilliant story, 12 Oct. 2010
H.G. Wells' Time Machine is a story I grew up with after watching this film over and over as a child.
The actors fit their roles perfectly and the Morlocks were terrifying, although after growing up they seem a little less so now.
This is one of the few films that lives up to the books potential with only a few small alterations towards the end of the film which I think suits cinema better than the books version.
All in all a fantastic film which has stood the test of time.

Jurassic Park
Jurassic Park
by Michael Crichton
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 12 Oct. 2010
This is easily the best book I have ever read!
This book has it all. Science, adventure, action, horror, tension great characters, intelligent plot...etc.
I love this book and if you think that the film was good wait until you read this. You will be on the edge of your seat the whole time!
I first read this book when I was twelve years old and have re-read it many times since, each time picking up on details I missed before.
The book has a much more in depth plot than the film explaining things like how the animals were able to breed (being all female) and how they could potentially escape the island. There are also entire action sequences involving the Tyrannosaur which would fit perfectly into a film but for some reason (possibly budget) were cut.
Overall a fantastic book which makes the film pale in comparison.
If only there were a Kindle edition.

Love All the People (New Edition)
Love All the People (New Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant transcriptions of some of Bills best shows!, 4 Sept. 2010
Bill Hicks was one of the greatest stand up comedians of all time, who unfortunately passed away just as he was beginning to achieve fame in the United States. His style of humour is dark and he spends much of his time mocking humanity and the US government so be warned.
This book is a set of transcriptions of his stand up shows. There are from time to time other peoples thoughts on the man but most of it is a perfect transcript.
Several of Bills shows are available on CD and DVD, some of which are included within this book, although there are many, many more examples of his excellent comedic skills here. Because of the fact that this is a written version of his shows there are some occasions where he has used the same material and just played from the audiences reaction, this does on a few occasions lead to an odd feeling of deja vu.
Bill Hicks was a genius of standup comedy and (unfortunately) didn't receive the recognition he deserved during his lifetime. This book is an excellent compilation of his gigs and is definitely worth a read. I have yet to finish a page without laughing at least once!

The Onion
The Onion

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cheap entertainment, 3 Sept. 2010
This review is from: The Onion (Kindle Edition)
The Onion is a great source of humour often poking fun at current events or - if news is lacking - making up their own stories. Each week there is a new selection of articles broken up into various sections.
As an added bonus there is a section of reviews for new music, films, books and video games. These are all written in much the same style as the rest of the paper just with a little more opinion and truth thrown in.
The only problems I see with this newspaper are the fact that it is American (sports news is all about the NFL, NBA etc) and the fact that some people might mistake it for real news as it is so well written!
All in all I am in love with The Onion and will be continuing my subscription for the forseable future.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2011 12:49 AM BST

Firefly: Complete Series (3pc) (Ws Dub Sub Ac3) [Blu-ray] [US Import] [2002]
Firefly: Complete Series (3pc) (Ws Dub Sub Ac3) [Blu-ray] [US Import] [2002]

5.0 out of 5 stars Why was this cancelled?, 30 Jun. 2010
I missed this when it originally aired on TV but picked it up on recommendation from a friend.
I was so surprised by just how brilliant it was and the feeling of dissapointment at the "end" of the series even though I only had 14 episodes to get to know the characters.
I would recommend this to anyone with a taste for sci-fi TV, it is bloody brilliant.

Transformers - The Movie [Blu-ray] [1986] [Region Free]
Transformers - The Movie [Blu-ray] [1986] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Peter Cullen

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than it was before, 14 May 2008
Very very good bluray transfer, the spot colours in the animation look great. Only problem with it is the scratches on the source material which are very difficult to remove anyway but as most of the film is in space you cant really see it anyway.
Story is the same as it always was, great transfer. POOR extras = none.

Definitely worth buying though :D